Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 6 Dec 2001, 20:26 (Ref:183056)   #1
domaza
Racer

domaza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penske Out

It was just annnounced that Penske is OUT. Really sad is that he will take Gil & Helio with him to IRL. No word about CART, so no Penske entry in CART in 2002. Maybe they will be back @ 2003...
Old 6 Dec 2001, 21:41 (Ref:183083)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm through with Champ Cars. See you at Alex Job Racing.
Old 6 Dec 2001, 21:44 (Ref:183085)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm writing this with tears in my eyes. Penske are one of ym favourite teams and Gil de Ferran is my favourite driver. Sadly as we don't have Sky Sports, I can't watch IRL
Old 6 Dec 2001, 22:01 (Ref:183099)   #4
nem
Rookie

nem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well at least this will shake out the fairweather fans.

It will be interesting to what effects transpire over the next week or so.

Will Pook still want to quit his life long contract with DDE?

CART's car count just went down by 2 cars. The IRL's car count just went up by 2 cars.

CART loses a major sponsor, the IRL gains a major sponsor.

Catch my drift?
Old 6 Dec 2001, 23:25 (Ref:183130)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
TEAM PENSKE TO COMPETE IN THE INDY RACING LEAGUE SERIES IN 2002

READING, PA - - Penske Racing, Inc. announced plans today to field two Marlboro Team Penske entries to compete exclusively in all Indy Racing League series races during the 2002 season, including the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race. The cars will be driven by two-time defending CART FedEx Championship Series champion Gil de Ferran and Helio Castroneves, winner of the 2001 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race. Details about the Team's 2002 chassis and engine combination will be released later. Penske Racing, Inc.'s plans do not include participation in any other open wheel racing series during the 2002 season.

"We plan to compete in all Indy Racing League series races in 2002, in addition to the Indy 500. It was a decision made with our principal sponsor based on our collective business interests and objectives for 2002," said Tim Cindric, President, Penske Racing, Inc.

"We have enjoyed Marlboro Team Penske's tremendous successes in the CART series over the years and we have developed special relationships with the CART community," said Ina Broeman, Category Director, Marlboro Racing, Philip Morris U.S.A. "However, since Philip Morris U.S.A. only markets its products within the United States and its territories and our intent is to
communicate with adult smokers who attend races in the United States, we believe that the IRL is more closely aligned with our business interests and objectives for 2002."

Penske Racing is the most successful Indy car racing team in history with 110 race wins, highlighted by a record 11 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race victories, 11 National Championships, and 135 pole positions.
Old 6 Dec 2001, 23:32 (Ref:183137)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The following is CART's statement in response to Marlboro Team Penske's decision to leave the CART FedEx Championship Series:

"We are disappointed to learn of Marlboro Team Penske's decision to leave the FedEx Championship Series. Both Roger Penske and Marlboro have been long-time supporters of CART and they will be missed. We wish them and their two talented drivers, Gil de Ferran and Helio Castroneves, well.

"The economics of our sport require teams to satisfy sponsors' marketing needs. We believe the CART FedEx Championship Series delivers significant value for sponsor investment as evidenced by the 2.5 million spectators who attended our races in 20 markets around the world in 2001; the recent renewal of our relationship with series sponsor FedEx; our new television agreement with Fox Cable Networks/Speedvision and CBS; the ongoing commitment of race teams such as Target Chip Ganassi Racing, Team KOOL Green and the PacWest Racing Group; and the expansion of our schedule to include races at three new venues - Denver, Mexico City and Montreal - in 2002.

"CART has always enjoyed the loyal support of our owners, sponsors and fans. They are drawn to our fast cars, unique tracks and technological sophistication, as well as to our many world-class drivers. We will maintain their support by offering the same top-quality product we have offered for decades. And we will remain focused on our No.1 objective - growing our sport and the CART brand."
Aren't they somewhat missing the point ??
Old 7 Dec 2001, 01:28 (Ref:183163)   #7
nem
Rookie

nem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems that's what CART's business model is all about, missing the point.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 02:34 (Ref:183167)   #8
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Liz

"I'm through with Champ Cars."

Don't be that way about it. CART is still going to be worth watching. This only gives you a reason to watch the IRL too if you like Penske so much, like I do. I'm glad he is going, but I wish he had kept at least one car in CART. No need to make it easy for Patrick and Ganassi.

So it isn't the end for CART. It isn't good, but it isn't the end, either. You still have Ganassi and Rahal and Green. And Patrick. And Forsythe. And more. You still have a slate of home and international venues at great places like RA and MO and LB. And Laguna. It is also a big improvement to get away from that awful Detroit race, though now they have NO race close to the capital of the American auto makers. And CART hasn't had a decent race at Nazerath since the Handford has been in use there, so that place is rightfully gone.

You still have (in my view unfortunate) a grid full of international
talent. CART still has alot going for it and I am sure no real fan wants to miss the last season of the awesome too fast turbowonders.
You still have (Penske excluded) the most professional and well funded teams in American motorsports. There is no reason to turn it off just because they lost a team. Sure, it isn't just any team, but it is only one team. Two cars. So now they are down to what 25 or so?

CART's only real problem is it's management team. Everyone knows I don't have much respect for Uncle Joe, and I think CART is going to do better even if they give the job to, well, anyone who speaks plain english. But they had better get someone in there fast who can help them pull their heads out. I think CART now has to view 2002 as a throw away season. There just isn't enough time to get a new cheif in there that can make a real difference before the season begins. It is so late in the game that they are going to have to go into 2002 with what they have, good or bad.

CART is going to have to start thinking about 2003 right now.

And here is when CART can really help themselves. They need to get some engine companies lined up. They need to adopt the IRL chassis now so that they can give Reynard and Lola and maybe Dallara and G-force time to gear up to blow out that many units. This isn't politics. This is nuts and bolts we need hardware kind of talk.

CART needs to get it all put together now for 2003. They have a year and about four months to get the ducks in a row and then we will see what they have.

Of course CART will lose some of their identity by going the IRL route on equipment, but without the engine companies subsidizing the teams, they are going to need cheaper equipment. And the chassis builders are going to be loathe to build two different cars for the same basic engine. They may just not do it. Mass production, baby!This ain't Burger King.

Come on, Liz. You still love champ cars and you know it. You are just cheesed off about Penske, but you will be in front of the tube when they take the first green of the 2002 season and we all know it. No one as passionate as you is going to give up this series. They have cheesed me off too, but i watch every one.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 06:25 (Ref:183189)   #9
Jimmyz360
Rookie

Jimmyz360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DONT blame CART for Penske leaving, he left because of HIS team, CART has very little to do with it. It is Marlboro wanting to be in Indy because CARTs engines are still intact this year. I dont know why Helio and Gil would want to go, they both suck at oval racing. Helio is good but cant compare to the oval only drivers of IRL. Penske was one of the best teams ive seen and an important part, and I regret ever liking them, for I have no respect for deserters.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 07:46 (Ref:183198)   #10
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jimmyz360

"I dont know why Helio and Gil would want to go, they both suck at oval racing."

Helio is the Indianapolis 500 champion.

Gil beat Indianapolis 500 champion Kenny Brack head to head at Rockingham.

"Helio is good but cant compare to the oval only drivers of IRL."

He is about to get some more oval experience. Maybe that will help.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 08:32 (Ref:183201)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Well, it wasn't the news that I was expecting. Not at all. But now I'll enjoy watching 34 races instead of 19. I'm a Penske fan. And to avoid being a "deserter", I remain a Penske fan. I mean, my dog's name is Penske. My jacket and my coat are embroidered with the Penske logo. My Zippo lighter is, you guessed it. And I remain a fan of both pilots. That will not waver. So I'm going to watch them compete next season. I haven't watched an IRL race, other than Indy, since 96. I'll take Dr. Austin's word for it that it's a good product now. But any predictions that he may have made concerning Jacques Lazier's upcoming championship hopes have just gone out the window. I'll bet the farm on that.

And I don't blame Roger for this move at all. Marlboro foots the bills, Marlboro calls the shots. It makes perfect marketing sense to me. The Marlboro Man is in it to make as much money through advertising NOW, while he still can. And they don't sell their product in Mexico, Japan, Canada, England, Germany or Australia. But they do sell them in Texas.

But neither am I deserting CART. I'm surely not going to miss a lap. (I guess I'll have to leave that up to SpeedVision). I'm not going to lose interest in Rahal and his boys, in Fernandez or in Vasser. I'm still going to watch the careers of Servia and Dixon blossom. Franchitti and Kanaan are still going to be there. As are my three Canadian countrymen. And CART will continue to be the most competitive open wheel formula on the planet. And the races will continue to be exciting. (At least for one more year).

When I walked away from MIS last summer, it was with a tear in my eye. Thought I'd never be back. But I'm not going to miss a Sunday afternoon in the Irish Hills afterall. Instead of my two annual CART races in Michigan and Detroit, next summer will see my first time at an IRL event, and most likely the Molson Indy Toronto.

This has been a sad day. Roger was a founder of CART, as we all know. I wanted nothing more than for his two world-class drivers to compete against the international field that is CART. At the very least I wanted Gil to take on Mobil1 sponsorship and go for a third consecutive title. But, hey, I live in Canada and don't smoke Marlboros. I smoke Players.

Just wanted to comment on something from CART's statement.
"We believe the CART FedEx Championship Series delivers significant value for sponsor investment as evidenced by...the expansion of our schedule to include races at three new venues – Denver, Mexico City and Montreal – in 2002."
In 2001, CART ran 21 events, not including Rio or Texas. The 2002 schedule lists 19. Explain "expansion".

And a quote from Tony George,
"This is a strong indicator that our vision and plan is the right one for the future of American open-wheel racing and exemplifies the League's stability and growth"
I don't know how to comment on that.

Well, I'm just blabbering on. I need some time for this to sink in, I just found out about it a few minutes ago.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 09:10 (Ref:183206)   #12
Jimmyz360
Rookie

Jimmyz360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hate to break it to u Dr. Austin is that look at Gil's points on ovals and u want me to show u reels of them not doing good on ovals. Helio is Indy 500 winner and thats because every IRL driver that was faster than him had something bad happen. So dont count on them to be that good, im pretty sure they can learn, but they are road drivers, thats all the trophys they won, and the races they are good at. They werent in CART for their overwhelming talent in ovals.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 15:21 (Ref:183319)   #13
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by macdaddy

"But now I'll enjoy watching 34 races instead of 19."

heheheheh. Another convert on the way. You are going to like what you see in the IRL. Just give it an honest chance and you will have a good time. We are in the promised land, baby! 34 races! Why are so many people upset that we have so much good racing to enjoy? Have a beer, watch both series and have a good time.

"But any predictions that he may have made concerning Jacques Lazier's upcoming championship hopes have just gone out the window. I'll bet the farm on that."

I isn't necessary to bet the farm. But I will gladly relieve you of a beer when Jacques adds the championship trophy to the Borg Warner one.
Hey, I stuck my neck out early on this one, so i am going to either look like a genius or I am going to be buying alot of beer for people. I stand to lose less if I had bet the house.

"Well, I'm just blabbering on."

Welcome to the internet.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 15:47 (Ref:183328)   #14
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well good bye and good riddance. If they want to disgrace themselves and Cart to go join that secound rate IRL farce, then I say we don't need them. Leave it to the ones who apreceate what it is to be in a good racing series such as Cart.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 7 Dec 2001 at 15:49.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 19:38 (Ref:183436)   #15
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any bets on how long Gil and Helio will last before they are acheing to come back?

I am just a tad pi**ed off about this, I hope that the IRL flops big time but at the moment i dont see that happenning.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 20:14 (Ref:183453)   #16
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport.com's report stated that Gil and Helio are not overjoyed by the move to IRL. Its looks like they are already unhappy, but have to go cos Penske says so.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 20:28 (Ref:183462)   #17
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by hakkiman

"Autosport.com's report stated that Gil and Helio are not overjoyed by the move to IRL. Its looks like they are already unhappy, but have to go cos Penske says so. [/B]
Neither one of them was going to cut it in F-1, so they are ungrateful pukes who don't deserve the break they have gotten. Cut them loose and let someone really appreciative and deserving have a chance. We all saw what Jacques Lazier could do with a good car and there are plenty of good young Americans who could step into the Penske ride and go to the front. Phillip Morris America would like it. The fans would like it. We are all waiting for it.

You know, I'm just so sick of it. Young American talent gets pushed out of jobs in their own country by ungrateful foriegners. Go home!
Old 7 Dec 2001, 20:32 (Ref:183465)   #18
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if they're not happy can they really be expected to perform to their best?

If they're not at their best Penske would look bad and Marlboro would go from being a championship winning supporter to a no hoper supporter.

Of course that is a worst case scenario but it shows how it can still blow up in their faces.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 21:32 (Ref:183493)   #19
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by paulzinho

"Well if they're not happy can they really be expected to perform to their best?"

Direct them to the airport.

"If they're not at their best Penske would look bad and Marlboro would go from being a championship winning supporter to a no hoper supporter."

Aren't these guys supposed to be professionals? If Gil and Helio are too sissy to stand on it, ship them out. Get some real men in there like Buddy Lazier and Sam. Let the Brazillians drive around in Coyne's wrung out, used up and trashy CART **** and then they can get a taste of the opportunities that most American drivers in CART have had. Maybe then they would see how good they have it. The line to replace them at Penske only goes around the building three times.

"Of course that is a worst case scenario but it shows how it can still blow up in their faces."

Anyone worth a damn would give everything to be a Penske driver. If there are any conserns now, ship the ingrates out and put some wothy and hungry guys in there. No mercy for the primadonnas, baby!
Old 7 Dec 2001, 21:49 (Ref:183497)   #20
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol...whatever good riddens Roger, good riddens Gil, good riddens Helio! They can crash out of every IRL race they race in, and I wouldn't care. Actually....that would probably be better...as having watched a few IRL races....well..the crashes provide the only entertainment. Especially in the god awful...I mean Indianapolis 500.

Cart just has to move on...so they no longer have the two ugliest cars in racing in their field....big deal. One less mouthy owner to keep happy. Two less Brazilians. Room for two more drivers! Another team perhaps?

Anyway, I just renewed my Molson Indy tickets, and am looking forward to watching the best, most competitive racing series in the world! Which will have two less ugly cars next year .
Old 7 Dec 2001, 22:15 (Ref:183506)   #21
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jay

"good riddens Roger, good riddens Gil, good riddens Helio!"

Actually, that would be riddance, but we got it.

"They can crash out of every IRL race they race in, and I wouldn't care. Actually....that would probably be better."

Are you too bitter to just wish them well and move on?

"as having watched a few IRL races....well..the crashes provide the only entertainment."

Did you find Davey's crash particularly satisfying?"

Maybe I might want to string a few gems together to drive home a point. Here goes; "Especially in the god awful...I mean Indianapolis 500." or "Cart just has to move on...so they no longer have the two ugliest cars in racing in their field....big deal." or "One less mouthy owner to keep happy."

No, CART fans aren't bitter.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 22:38 (Ref:183513)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Did you find Davey's crash particularly satisfying?"

who? I don't usually like to see crashes...at least where there's doubt as to whether the driver's injured or not... but, I have to admit that seeing a guy spin around and clip a barrier..or crash into another car can be exciting as long as you know that nobody gets hurt. And during the IRL races, the crashes seemed to wake me up...but then I think the Cart oval races can be pretty boring too..so it's just my preference for racing.

Just consider my comments as a slamming of the door as they leave... Yeah, I don't like it, but what makes Cart great is not any one team, or any one driver, but the best formula and the best group of any series. The most competitive and exciting races anywhere.. the fact that you can get up close and personal with the machinery, teams, and drivers. The fact that the tickets don't cost $400 each... Like F1, but without a lot of the negatives! And throw in an oval race or two to shake things up and provide some excitement for the people that actually like them.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 22:47 (Ref:183515)   #23
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
What CART fans are bitter about is the fact that if one of the most influential owners in US single seater racing can be influenced by sponsors then what for the rest of the teams. The drivers don't want to race in IRL otherwise they'd already be there. The owners are being swayed by sponsors and money which IMO is something to be bitter about.

Plus I was a Penske fan and a fan of Gil and Helio. Part of me wants them to do really well and show to us that CART is superior by all means and that the IRL is a second rate series. But another part of me hopes they flunk it big time to put off CARTs other owners who at the moment appear to be loyal to the cause but maybe thinking of jumping ship.

One must also wonder whether Penske and Marlboro considered the new plan that convinced Team KOOL Green to stay in CART.

But in the end all of this is happenning for TWO reasons.

Firstly What if Chip Gannassi hadn't gone to Indy last year? and also to the complete mess with the engine rules. STICK WITH TURBOS!

Last edited by paulzinho; 7 Dec 2001 at 22:49.
Old 7 Dec 2001, 22:49 (Ref:183516)   #24
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do not blame Helio and Gil for being unhappy about the forced move. Both drivers are known for their road racing prowess above their oval racing skill. It would be like a neurosurgeon being forced to become a proctologist by their hospital because a wealthy donor wants it that way.
Old 8 Dec 2001, 01:43 (Ref:183549)   #25
Dr. Austin
Veteran

See. Everyone is bitter. Stop it. Stop it now. Give it up.

CART was taking openwheeled racing down the toilet with them. Look at what they are doing to themselves even as we write this. CART made all the right mistakes at the perfect time to self-inflict the most damage.

The IRL is, on the other hand, is going great guns and bringing on new engine makers and new events. They have an exclusive TV contract with ABC for multiple years. Lola and Reynard are going to build new cars for the series. Roger Penske is back. Marlboro is coming on board. All these people and all the manufacturers and sponsors are not stupid. They are all solid businessmen and they have nmade their decision based on where they see their best business opportunities.

Tony George picked exactly the right time to form his league. Everything was looking rosy for CART and some blame Tony for CART's troubles, but that is utter BS. CART was headed for disaster even then, but only Tony saw the signs of it. If you want to claim that Tony caused CART's problems then he was smarter and more influential and a better businessman than anyone in CART. Otherwise he could have never pulled it off. Do you really want to admit that?

This isn't about the teams and drivers of CART. This isn't about road racing or turbos or foriegn drivers. This is about the 500, period. These people are not going to take it down with them. George had to do something or he would be sinking right along with CART as we speak. He went his own way in 1996 and was going to sink or swin on his own. CART went their own way with everything in hand, the cars, the teams and the stars. Tony built the IRL from scratch and today they are looking good.

CART controlled their own destiny. They could have worked with George, but they had been in power far to long to let Tony have a piece of it. So they set out on their own course and have been in the wilderness ever since. CART had their own series with all the sponsors and teams and stars. It is fact that they ruined it all by themselves. The moment they decided that they were bigger than the speedway, they were as good as dead.

So don't be bitter with the IRL. Don't be bitter with the IRL drivers who just want to make a living. Don't be bitter with Tony George for running his business the way he sees fit. Don't be bitter with the engine makers who didn't want to spend the billions on high tech that wasn't needed to go fast. Don't be bitter with the American sponsors who jumped ship because they don't sell their product in the nine countries on CART's schedule. Don't be bitter with the IRL fans who merely like like the IRL, it drivers and 225+mph wheel to wheel action.

Don't be bitter with the people who merely opened their eyes.

Be bitter with the owners of CART who had it all and couldn't keep it together.