Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2001, 04:01 (Ref:73215)   #1
racer10
Rookie

racer10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never understood the great driver mystique that surrounds Jean Alesi. I understand he is a good bloke, and pals with our boy Schumi, (they share the same babysitter and often go down on the town in the netural country) but what makes him so good? He is known for his turn-in way to early technique, and spends more time with his arms crossed inside the car, in an effort to save it. He is not known as a smooth driver. Has he ever won a grand prix? He has drove for all the great teams and still with no results. I have often reserved myself from being critical of other drivers, because I am a driver myself. I have always been afraid to criticize because I felt I may be dealt a bad deal for my criticism. Help me here. I dont know much about him, but for all I can tell he is a bit over rated and glorified. Help me here.
Old 21 Mar 2001, 04:04 (Ref:73216)   #2
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean Alesi has won a granp prix. Canada 1995
Old 21 Mar 2001, 04:51 (Ref:73222)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean Alesi is one of the last pilotes on the piste. He is out there driving his heart out because he loves racing, not because he loves money - he gives his heart and soul to driving a Prost AP03 just the same as he gave it to driving that lump of a Ferrari (they didn't have to practice tire stops because they never made it that far ... ) - and although he confessed that he asked himself why he was killing himself last season in a car that he probably could have beaten in a foot race, he climbed back in and gave it everything he had. I saw Alesi driving the Sauber around the Varientes at Monza with two wheels almost in the air, and the tifosi cheered him to the echo, far more than they cheered either Irvine or Salo in the Ferrari. Because they recognised that here was a man who came to RACE. And that as long as anybody will pay him to race, he'll race.

He's the last one left. When he's gone, there will be nobody left who cares. [Although after Malaysia, i have hopes of Jos....]
Old 21 Mar 2001, 06:03 (Ref:73229)   #4
slipstream
Rookie

slipstream should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I see Alesi racing I can't help but think of the golden period when Senna, Prost, Mansel, Berger etc. did battle. Whilst he arrived toward the end of that time, he still drives in the totally committed manner that was required back then. If you didn't then you got nowhere. It is this connection that makes Alesi still exciting for me... even if he is in a dud car.
Old 21 Mar 2001, 06:23 (Ref:73232)   #5
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi's always been a special driver. He's never had the best car on the grid yet he's always given his very best for all the teams he`s driven for. Remember, this bloke had a chance to drive for Williams and if he had taken that opportunity - he would've been a multi World Champion by now. Instead, he followed his heart and went to Ferrari.
He won in Montreal in 95 - with car No:27 - and that was the best result-oriented race of his career. But Jean has driven some unbelievable races throughout his career. Most of them for Ferrari, some for Tyrell and Benetton - and many times he`s dropped out while leading due to a car failure.

He's also one of the true racers of his time - probably Michael Schumacher and Jacques Villernerve are the only two who deserve to be in that category with Jean Alesi at present.

And while results are important, they dont always give a true indication of a driver's ability. Classic example - Herbert's three Grand Prix Wins - compared to Alesi's 1.
Who's the better driver? Who has the larger fan following ?

I rest my case !
Old 21 Mar 2001, 15:54 (Ref:73312)   #6
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi is one of those guys who, when you end up looking at the history books, will have had a fairly nondescript career in terms of results, but that tells only half the story. The man as undoubtedly got talent in SPADES but so had Nick Heidfeld last year. I love Alesi, a REAL racer, as opposed to some of the "drivers" we have today (note the difference). My favourite Alesi performance has to be in the Tyrrel at Monaco when he was inspired thoughout the race. Just a proof of what a class act he is.
Old 22 Mar 2001, 00:01 (Ref:73450)   #7
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Liz...did I ever say how much I love you?....lol.

Well, when I see Alesi on the track my heart atarts running faster..I even get some kind of a fever during his races (about 38°C). Am I nuts or do I just see that there is somebody who loves this sport. Even in these times where talent and heart bring you nowhere...
In 89 and 91 for example to give their heart and soul was still useful.
Racer 10...I think Alesi is undervalued...not by the real fans or by the team bosses and people who work in Formula 1...but by people like you who just aren't that informed about him and just take a look at the result lists...and think they can judge over a driver who wouldn't always get a contract if he wasn't really quick...
Do you see this pic?...now go and look up somewhere what magical things Alesi and Senna did that day...you should see what GP it is by the picture...if not it is Phoenix 1990.
For me one of the most incredible races of the whole F1 history.
Attached Images

Old 22 Mar 2001, 00:25 (Ref:73459)   #8
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember that race vividly. Alesi and Ayrton had quite a battle. The commentators could not believe the audacity of Alesi, retaking Ayrton after he had been passed! Who was this upstart, they wanted to know!
Since that time, I have had the greatest respect for Alesi, who proved himself a racer that day. I would really like him to have one more competitive car before he retires, his early test times in the AP04 were excellent, proving he still has the ability.
Old 22 Mar 2001, 01:20 (Ref:73479)   #9
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Yes senna12...another time we think the same thing...let's hope this bolid will get stronger when they get back to Europe...
Old 22 Mar 2001, 02:37 (Ref:73499)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Arh,

So that's the mystique of Jean Alesi. I thought it was his deoderant that had given out.

"There is never a Jean Alesi without a personal hygiene problem"

Old 25 Mar 2001, 10:13 (Ref:74326)   #11
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi is breathtaking driver to watch....drives on the edge with the car dancing around like Mansell & Senna, given a decent car he could still match the best, the last of the old school.
Old 25 Mar 2001, 12:42 (Ref:74340)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would this incredible driving style be vanished by the Traction Control ?
I believe he is the last of his kind, and with the new TC era, Alesi will have his last urrah.
Old 26 Mar 2001, 01:54 (Ref:74482)   #13
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Up until mid 2000, I'd probably agree with what most of you guys here are saying. Alesi has been unlucky, great racer, big heart, blah blah... Now though, I tend to think he isn't, and never has been in the upper echelon of F1. I don't think his style is suited to the way F1 cars have evolved. He overdrives too much, and while it is fun to watch, doesn't get results. Heidfeld is right, straight is faster. In f1 today you need to be a technical driver who can get the team working for you, a quality Alesi lacks in my opinion.
I don't think chosing Ferrari over Williams lost him any potential WDC chances, note how every team he has driven for has gone backwards. Just look at Ferrari 91/2, Benetton 95/6, Sauber 97/8 and now Prost 99/00. Is it all just bad luck?
He should go to CART, I think he'd do much better there.
Old 26 Mar 2001, 02:02 (Ref:74485)   #14
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

I'd call that blasphemical...
You think he had the same chancer to become world champion in a Ferrari, than in a Williams??? Well...in that case his teammate Prost in 91 was bad too, right? For he wasn't much faster than Alesi was. I can accept your opinion when you say you think he lost speed over the years...even if i think it differently, but to say he never was one of the great ones, even if everyone whose word means something in Formula One..including Senna...said he was great?
Hmmmm....Liz..help me..lol
Old 26 Mar 2001, 18:42 (Ref:74601)   #15
Guy Goddard
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeanburrasca81
I'd call that blasphemical...
You think he had the same chancer to become world champion in a Ferrari, than in a Williams??? Well...in that case his teammate Prost in 91 was bad too, right? For he wasn't much faster than Alesi was. I can accept your opinion when you say you think he lost speed over the years...even if i think it differently, but to say he never was one of the great ones, even if everyone whose word means something in Formula One..including Senna...said he was great?
Hmmmm....Liz..help me..lol

Got to agree with you on this one Alesi has simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time, surely we would prefer to see a driver getting sideways, locking up under braking so at least you see the driver on the limit, to critise Alesi's driving then you must also put Senna and Mansell in the same text. if you like sensible drivers like Prost or Damon Hill then go and watch cricket for your thrills.
Old 28 Mar 2001, 13:46 (Ref:74956)   #16
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Cricket...hahahaha...good one...
Old 29 Mar 2001, 19:28 (Ref:75296)   #17
MadMitch
Rookie

MadMitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mystique? Suzuka, '95. Nuff said.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 06:50 (Ref:75388)   #18
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Up until mid 2000, I'd probably agree with what most of you guys here are saying. Alesi has been unlucky, great racer, big heart, blah blah... Now though, I tend to think he isn't, and never has been in the upper echelon of F1."

True true true....!!!!
Old 30 Mar 2001, 10:52 (Ref:75402)   #19
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raven, I would have to disagree with everything that you have said except for one thing. Alesi should go to CART, he would enjoy himself alot more there and would be showing off his talents properly. He's wasting his time in F1 (as are about 17 other drivers).
Old 30 Mar 2001, 14:53 (Ref:75449)   #20
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Maybe he should go to the CART series..I also read he loves the NASCAR series. I'm sure he would realize better results there...but another time...it's NOT and has NEVER been a question of talent! He IS and WAS much more talented than most of the other pilots. Watching some of his best Grand Prixs you have to be ignorant or blind not to see that.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 14:57 (Ref:76029)   #21
Guy Goddard
Racer

Are we saying then that any driver who drives with real passion has no place in F1 and is better to suited to Indy cars and Nascar where this sort of driving is appreciated and if true what does this tell you about F1 and its current drivers...Boring maybe, Sunday proccesional Drivers with no spirit behind the wheel???
Old 1 Apr 2001, 15:01 (Ref:76031)   #22
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Maybe the answer seems harsh...yes...many of the current F1 drivers don't give their heart and soul.