Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Mar 2001, 23:45 (Ref:75850)   #26
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see a female racer, the sponsership potential is there on the up side.

On the downside just imagne the jokes if the poor girl spins, crashes or reverses into something.

We would also have the possible untidy photo's of pit bloke's in skin tight lycra, make up parlours on the grid and all those other girly things. Girlfreinds dragging us racing when we really needed to paint the house, fix that door or wash our hair and so on.........

Simon
Old 1 Apr 2001, 02:17 (Ref:75911)   #27
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good idea

I think a woman in F1 is a good idea. Although I don't think she would be a contender for the championship. But she would bring in new sponsors, new fans, and a new look for F1 (not that it needs one).

...besides there's nothing better than a girl wearing racing gear.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 02:25 (Ref:75915)   #28
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If there were ever a sport at which women could compete at the same level as men, its Motorsports. It is only a matter of time until a woman competes and wins.

Old Fart that I am, I don't agree that it would be the death of the sport-bring on the day, I'll be cheering loudly.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 08:55 (Ref:75949)   #29
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
If there were ever a sport at which women could compete at the same level as men, its Motorsports.
I think they are doing quite well in equestrian events.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 09:40 (Ref:75954)   #30
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by papabaz
I think if a female driver planned to get pregnant and choose not to continue her racing career after that, she wouldn't try to get an F1 drive...
I guess you won't be surprised to know there's a precedent.. there may be more than one, but this one I do know about:

A week prior to the 1928 Australian Grand Prix, Bess Dentry learned she was pregnant. She withdrew from her place as riding mechanic alongside her husband, Barney, in their Seneschal... and young (?) Charles has held it against her ever since!

She survives today, too, as does Ken McKinney, the other intended riding mechanic who didn't make the race... though he was in the car during practice. Together with John Crouch and Allan Tomlinson, they are the only ones I know of still alive who contested Australian Grands Prix before WW2.

Ken is now 93, and is only two years off the farm, having moved into a retirement home after his wife took ill... Bess is unfortunately totally out of it, dementia has taken its toll with her, but she had the honour of riding with Barney in each AGP from 1929 to 1938, mostly in a Riley.

Allan Tomlinson, now almost 85, is thinking of retiring from work this year, especially since his wife is ill, he being the winner of the 1939 race at fabulous lobethal, and John Crouch has just remarried... he's 83.

Just for the record, here she rides shotgun in their last GP at Bathurst...
Attached Thumbnails
bess.jpg