Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Jun 2010, 15:09 (Ref:2706144)   #1
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Dessert Audi LMP1 Discussion

Murphy recently suggested Audi might leave prototype racing:
Quote:
Audi: R15+ Last of the Line?

There have been hints that Audi has decided “the way forward” in sports car racing is in GT, not prototype. If so, that continues a world-wide trend amongst manufacturers. Murphy suspects this recent “golden age of prototypes” may soon be behind us, replaced (he can hope) by a “golden age of GT.”
This is now formally denied by Audi:
Quote:
"Downsizing, energy recovery and electric mobility, as well, will play a major part in future events of the Le Mans 24 Hours,” says Head of Audi Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. "I can’t imagine a better platform for Audi than this unique race.”

From 2011 forward, new technical regulations prescribing smaller, even more efficient engines will come into force at Le Mans. Audi Sport has already started to work on the successor model of the current R15 TDI under the project name "R18.”
I decided to beat everybody by starting this placeholder thread for future news on the R18

Evidently the main questions are: open or closed, diesel or petrol and hybrid or not.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 15:37 (Ref:2706161)   #2
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Surely open diesel hybrid with the Williams flywheel that Porsche uses on the GT3 R. I don't think Audi is going to go down the coupe route for this one either.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2706165)   #3
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I believe the R18 will be a 6 cylinder TDI bi-turbo with a KERS style system of some sort. I hope they do a closed cockpit but doubt it...
Old 7 Jun 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2706168)   #4
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that we will see Audi choosing to do like Peugeot and produce both a Petrol and Diesel hybrid, selling the slowest to others (like Peugeot and Oreca).
But i think that the Audi R18 in the end will feature a Petrol Hybrid, as, this is what has the main focus of the current world.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2706172)   #5
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
R18 - great news!!!

sorry to say this but looking at the 2011 LMP1 regulations there appears to be only 1 clear route for a manufacturer in terms of the best performance advantage over the rest of the field........I expect audi and Peugeot to go down the 3.7 Litre V8 diesel route, because it will have a significant torque advantage over a 2.0 gasoline engine, but untill they announce the restrictor and boost pressures I'm just guessing.......I really dont expect any manufacturer / OEM to go down the 3.4 NA route for a significant works programme, yes there will be the likes of Judd/Zytek.......even HPD are making significant noises that they are developing a bespoke turbo V6 for IRL which will quite likley carry accross to LMP1.......well thatsmy 2 pence worth for today.......great news tho!
Old 7 Jun 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2706171)   #6
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
ACO should just ban diesels. Privateer teams will use a Judd, Zytek, or Acura V8, while the manufacturers can throw all their money at a direct injection 2 liter turbo and a state-of-the-art lithium ion battery/supercap/flywheel hybrid drive train.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2706178)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aston Martin have designed a new 3.4l V8 while WR are designing a Peugeot 3.7l V8 diesel for customers.

If Aston Martin incorporate hybrid technology they should be front runners next season.

Any manufactuer has to take full advantage of the regulations to beat Audi and Peugeot.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2706192)   #8
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
VAG's future decisions will obviously be related (forget the stupid header): http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...0519-vcy8.html

Idea of a Audi even possibly leaving is shocking but as long as some other brand (*cough* Porsche) from the family has interest in LMP racing...

Last edited by deggis; 7 Jun 2010 at 16:57.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 17:30 (Ref:2706215)   #9
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Aston Martin have designed a new 3.4l V8 while WR are designing a Peugeot 3.7l V8 diesel for customers.
WR is making a big deal out of this not being a Peugeot engine, but only a Peugeot based engine, but it will be redesigned almost completely so it will be called a WR 3,7 V8.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2706200)   #10
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
If VW enters F1, it will be as engine supplier and earliest in 2013.

In fact, you could argue that it is in their own interest to continue in LMP racing. They need to gain experience in designing a KERS system.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 17:30 (Ref:2706216)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reading the Autosport Le Mans Guide they seem to confirm ORECA are buiding a new factory Peugeot engined car.

For 2011 there could potentially be 3 factory Peugeot 909's, 2 ORECA Peugeots and 2 WR's with their Peugeot based engine.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2706217)   #12
GT2-R
Racer

GT2-R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope, in the long run, we'll see the Le Mans EVO plans again. Maybe Audi/Porsche/Peugeot/Aston Martin are interested in cars like this Corvette LMP1 render the ACO showed few years ago... Probably it's just daydreaming but still .

Old 7 Jun 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2706285)   #13
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, 2011 is going to be a MASSIVE year for sportscars, new cars all round! Looking forward to seeing the new Aston, espacially if it's an open car!
Old 7 Jun 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2706288)   #14
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Wow, 2011 is going to be a MASSIVE year for sportscars, new cars all round! Looking forward to seeing the new Aston, espacially if it's an open car!
Or a catastrophic, if all the new cars uses 4-5 hours getting repaired or don't finishes at all!
Old 7 Jun 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2706354)   #15
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering that Aston Martin and Peugeot will bring open prototypes I will guess that audi, with the R18 car, will bring a fantastic surprise:
Closed car!!!!!

who knows!!!!! something inspired in the Audi R25 EPI LE MANS
Old 9 Jun 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2707610)   #16
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2-R View Post
I hope, in the long run, we'll see the Le Mans EVO plans again. Maybe Audi/Porsche/Peugeot/Aston Martin are interested in cars like this Corvette LMP1 render the ACO showed few years ago... Probably it's just daydreaming but still .

Hope not!
Long Live to Le Mans Prototype Racing!

There is enough GT cars already...
Old 11 Jun 2010, 16:23 (Ref:2709285)   #17
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Hint on coupe? http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84316

(Header refers to R15+)
Old 11 Jun 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2709297)   #18
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Hint on coupe? http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84316

(Header refers to R15+)
Audi has said several times it will be an open car.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2706359)   #19
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
When/where did Peugeot say they would build an open prototype?
Old 7 Jun 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2706361)   #20
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
My question too!?.
And AMR as far as i know hasn't released any real specific data of their 2011 plans.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 21:12 (Ref:2706366)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
Autosport print edition says Aston Martin carried out a 2011 design study which has led them down the open car route with a 3.4l V8.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2706368)   #22
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Autosport print edition says Aston Martin carried out a 2011 design study which has led them down the open car route with a 3.4l V8.
Arh, but Autosport has been wrong in their articles before.
But let's see, im sure AMR or David Richards will say something in the weekend, as it's the ideal time for letting some details out.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2706414)   #23
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read somewhere(don´t know here) that Peugeot are considering an open car because they want to elimanate the condicioned air.
i don´t have sure but i think that´s it...

Can anyone confirm??
Old 7 Jun 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2706418)   #24
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All the teams are waiting for the 2011 regs to be finalized and released before making that sort of decision, though most likely have concepts for both closed and open cars developed to some level. Bruno Famin was candid about impatiently waiting for the ACO to stop dragging their feet on the regulations for that reason. Allan McNish, however, implied that Audi would continue their allegiance to the open concept as part of the corporate ethos.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 01:39 (Ref:2706455)   #25
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT2-R, I'm with you man...though I wouldn't mind if cars looking like that (even a vette) formed the basis for a newer GT1 formula either. Whatever way is fine... I would also be happy if they just accepted the top 10 or 12 cars from the FIA GT1 WC as the GT1 class. Now THAT would be nice...

(forming yet another unpopular opinion, lol)

pit