Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Sep 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2544914)   #76
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman View Post
It was happily quite a good meeting for incidents. One of the better ones. I think that Lord March etc will be breathing easier this morning.
Don't know about breathing easier. He will certainly be breathing wealthiest after the gate money and the £1000 GIFTS he got from most of the drivers are added up!

I camped. Thank God for the drivers' loos and showers. I would have soiled myself rather than use the loos in car park E.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2545019)   #77
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Always good for some fun, here's the New Zealander who recently joined the Russian army.
First pic on his approach to the Mini starting grid...(he eventually found it)
second threewheeling his Elite through the chicane.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0514.1.jpg   IMG_9270.1.jpg  
Old 21 Sep 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2545067)   #78
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Listening to Goodwood Radio as everyone fought to leave I was pleased to hear a commentator say that for he, the Chichester cup stood out as a crowd pleaser. Formula Junior is often the poor relation at the prestigious events. Two questions though, one car overtook (I think) before the line after the safety car went in and later the leader was overtaken under waved yellows - yet not a peep from the C of C....??
Old 21 Sep 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2545071)   #79
Brendan Roberts
Rookie

Brendan Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Was the front aperture hmologated on an Elite or is it free? I only ask as I was surprised how much they varied on the cars in the Fordwater. I know Roger's one is the "standard" one but some where substantially different
The nose has become known as a 'Costin Nose' and under the old FIA papers system only the cars that could prove that they had it in period could use it, but under the new HTP system my understanding is that any Elite could use it as a 'Costin Nose Rep' to FIA appx k regs. Not sure that it makes any difference other than at Le Mans with a 4:2 diff etc.......DAD10 runs a Costin nose, no door frames or windscreen frame as per its period spec.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2545074)   #80
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you to Delta for his hospitality on the night of the ball for all lost souls!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 14:30 (Ref:2545078)   #81
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From where I was watching the Chichester Cup, many cars (at least 4) put the hammer down exiting the chicane, passing many cars, notwithstanding,

1. SC and yellow on the post prior to the chicane,
2. Yellow shown at the post after the chicane (and maybe an SC board which I could not see due to my vantage point), and
3. Slow cars with drivers with their hand in the air.

Marcus in the commentary box was shocked, as were many spectators, and it was rather fortunate that a number of nasty rear-end shunts were avoided through emergency application of brakes.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2545086)   #82
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
it seems FJ has a potential 'problemette' which needs nipping in the bud. theres already been one notable retiree this season due to driving standards.

on the whole (I heard briefings were frank and authoritive?) I think driving standards where pretty good.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 15:03 (Ref:2545118)   #83
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The last time I said that FJ is getting more like FF I was shot down in flames - however it seems more people are coming round to my way of thinking - goodness at this rate you lot will all start wanting a Mk2 Jaguar as well!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2545139)   #84
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The last time I said that FJ is getting more like FF I was shot down in flames - however it seems more people are coming round to my way of thinking - goodness at this rate you lot will all start wanting a Mk2 Jaguar as well!
Has the Goodwood bug also bitten the FJ drivers?
We actually left after the safety car came in (had to catch a ferry and found it a good moment to avoid the crowds), so I did not see what actually happened but if it is clear (from TV footage) who/which car violated the rules, wouldn't that be a reason for not inviting them again? Probably a more effective measure than a stop and go penalty.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2545144)   #85
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well to be fair I am only basing this on the comments here as I must have gone by then as well... I dont know how to load photo's but going through my phone I suddenly found one of the women who was naked apart from fairy cakes - was she an actor or just over imbibed in the Cliquot tent?
Old 21 Sep 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2545149)   #86
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman View Post
Re the Vimy, yes I was told that CAA was refusing to grant a licence, and that it was presently flying on a US licence which only temporarily allows it to fly here. Shame.

Could this be similar to when the Vulcan had a hiatus in it's CAA licence?
Glad the Tin Triangle impressed folks. I'll point TVOC forum over here. They like positive noises.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2545157)   #87
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Could this be similar to when the Vulcan had a hiatus in it's CAA licence?
Glad the Tin Triangle impressed folks. I'll point TVOC forum over here. They like positive noises.
from what I heard it was a matter of money. There was simply not enough of it to keep the Vimy airworthy.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2545165)   #88
simon drabble
Veteran

it woudl be fair to say that it was a show stopper on both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday I was with a great friend who saw active duty in the Falklands and it was the first time he had seen it fly since....
Old 21 Sep 2009, 15:50 (Ref:2545178)   #89
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
well to be fair I am only basing this on the comments here as I must have gone by then as well... I dont know how to load photo's but going through my phone I suddenly found one of the women who was naked apart from fairy cakes - was she an actor or just over imbibed in the Cliquot tent?
Send it to me and I'll er.......................... upload it for you.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2545183)   #90
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
it woudl be fair to say that it was a show stopper on both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday I was with a great friend who saw active duty in the Falklands and it was the first time he had seen it fly since....
It literally stopped the show on Saturday (the ongoing race was cut short) but on Sunday the TT went on. But it was a truly majestic sight, especially the full throttle move which may have deafened a few unwary visitors.. Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1564.1.jpg  
Old 21 Sep 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2545212)   #91
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was amazed by how slowly it could fly. A friend later told me that this characteristic was one of the design objectives.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2545223)   #92
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
My wife was not a fan, till they met. Her only words for the duration of the display were: "How can something that big be that graceful?"

The TVOC folk are complaining the racing cars interfered with the sound on their video of her display!!!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2545295)   #93
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Always good for some fun, here's the New Zealander who recently joined the Russian army.
First pic on his approach to the Mini starting grid...(he eventually found it)
second threewheeling his Elite through the chicane.
Thanks for the nice photos.

I had a most enjoyable weekend. Both races were real crackers with some great battles. Keith Ahlers had the power advantage in the Morgan over my Elite but I was able to carry more speed in a few places and gave him a good race.

The Mini race was just brilliant fun. I seemed to be down on power on a couple of cars on the straights but had a few great battles. We seemed to change places every lap and I ran as high as second but finished 5th. Given how competitive it was and how close the racing was I think it was a real credit to all out there that there wasn't a lot of paint traded.

The whole weekend was just superb. I thought I was the only person in a Russian military uniform and then blow me down if I don't bump into 5 guys dressed in Russian uniforms as the event was coming to a close last night.

Now onto Spa. Two of the best weekends in the year in a row. Wow!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2545309)   #94
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
I thought I was the only person in a Russian military uniform and then blow me down if I don't bump into 5 guys dressed in Russian uniforms as the event was coming to a close last night.
If you want I could try to organise a Kazakh uniform for next year ....(or Kyrgyz, Uzbek or Tajik for that matter, including one of the aircraft carriers they use on their head. )
Old 21 Sep 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2545320)   #95
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
My wife was not a fan, till they met. Her only words for the duration of the display were: "How can something that big be that graceful?"

The TVOC folk are complaining the racing cars interfered with the sound on their video of her display!!!
And how can something so graceful and beautiful be designed to kill so many people in one go. My old man was an airframe fitter for the other 'V' bomber the Handley Page Victor and I think working on that and other wartime killing machines during the 2nd world war drove him to drink especially as he supported the Russian Communist regime, he never could get his head around it. Years ago at an air display at Radlett I once saw the Victor actually perform aerobatics including the Loop the Loop, amazing sight.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2545331)   #96
Philip Venables
Rookie

Australia
Philip Venables should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
re Zefarelly's comment on Simca, car is actually a Matra Bonnet Djet 5s, Renault 8 Gordini engine (1108cc), the owner, Henrick is Danish. Thought Patch v. sporting in Brooklands race
Old 21 Sep 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2545332)   #97
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:

I had a most enjoyable weekend. Both races were real crackers with some great battles. Keith Ahlers had the power advantage in the Morgan over my Elite but I was able to carry more speed in a few places and gave him a good race.
with TOK258
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9267.1.jpg  
Old 21 Sep 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2545432)   #98
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

The Mini race was just brilliant fun. I seemed to be down on power on a couple of cars on the straights but had a few great battles. We seemed to change places every lap and I ran as high as second but finished 5th. Given how competitive it was and how close the racing was I think it was a real credit to all out there that there wasn't a lot of paint traded.

The whole weekend was just superb. I thought I was the only person in a Russian military uniform and then blow me down if I don't bump into 5 guys dressed in Russian uniforms as the event was coming to a close last night.

Now onto Spa. Two of the best weekends in the year in a row. Wow!
Roger,
Can I suggest that next time you let a "celebrity" drive your mini, you show them how to open the bonnet
They obviously have people to do those things for them on TV!
Old 22 Sep 2009, 02:15 (Ref:2545622)   #99
dinofan
Rookie

dinofan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loads of Goodwood results and photos:

Brooklands Trophy Race Results/Photos
http://www.sportscardigest.com/2009-...ts-and-photos/

Lavant Cup Results/Photos

Goodwood Trophy Results/Photos

Sir Stirling 80th Birthday Tribute
http://www.sportscardigest.com/2009-...thday-tribute/

Madgwick Cup Results/Photos

St Mary's Trophy Results/Photos

Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy

Old 22 Sep 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2545708)   #100
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Venables View Post
re Zefarelly's comment on Simca, car is actually a Matra Bonnet Djet 5s, Renault 8 Gordini engine (1108cc), the owner, Henrick is Danish. Thought Patch v. sporting in Brooklands race
I stand corrected, I knew about the engine and have known Henrik for a few years now, he also has a pretty rare Sabre in his fleet, although his Cortina GT has moved to Holland I believe