Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Oct 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2552648)   #226
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and whilst we are on the subject of B's full marks to Terry for running on wires.... I am sure minilites were not found on B's in period
Old 2 Oct 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2552653)   #227
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
minilites are not strictly period full stop, but seem to have been adopted as such

even aluminium wheels have crept into tin tops at Woodgood, it used to be strictly tin, until Gerry broke one on a yellow Mustang a few years back and everyone took it as an excuse to have new AR rims to put the 400+ horses down through, then it spread accross minis and everything else.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2552655)   #228
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
whereas the correct answer would be build your engines as they were.....
Old 2 Oct 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2552667)   #229
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bacon View Post
Maybe, but on an A series engine you will have to remove (possibly loosen) 4 of the head nuts to remove 2 push rods so you may as well have the head off as I certainly would not risk a cracked head or not replacing the gasket after doing so.
If it was a legal engine Andy it would only be required to remove the rocker shaft surely and thats what half a dozen bolts and no gaskets. Does the head bolts hold down the shaft its years since I worked on one, actually I did adjust some tappets on a neighbours Minor van the other week but I didnt take a lot of notice.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2552716)   #230
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
and whilst we are on the subject of B's full marks to Terry for running on wires.... I am sure minilites were not found on B's in period

Thats how it left the production line Simon,well,nearly.
Alloys were never homologated for Bs,only on retro because of the safety thing for old steel rim's.

Al,there are four head studs through the rocker gear,loosen them off and ,as said,you may just as well take the head off for the sake of another five minuits work.
Old 3 Oct 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2553381)   #231
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mike Bell;2552115]I was amused by that E type's open bootlid with fillets along the sides to form a spoiler................
QUOTE]
As they did in period.. in an effort to get the heat away from the inboard rear brakes and diff.
Old 4 Oct 2009, 05:20 (Ref:2553588)   #232
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=p261brm;2553381]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I was amused by that E type's open bootlid with fillets along the sides to form a spoiler................
QUOTE]
As they did in period.. in an effort to get the heat away from the inboard rear brakes and diff.
Didn't think the scrutineers would have missed that. I thought they used a vent built into bootlid, but am sure the owner did his homework!
Old 4 Oct 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2553661)   #233
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
or at least had a team of 20 rocket scientists to help him!
Old 4 Oct 2009, 19:36 (Ref:2554059)   #234
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
You are opening a can of worms with any enquiry into that car. At Monaco in 2004, during qualifying, I was overtaken in the tunnel by Robin Longdon in his Lola 2 with Ford engine. In the middle of the tunnel that Fiat engined Stanguellini caught and overtook Robin, when the Lola was flat out!

The engine had arrived at the garages cling wrapped!

I would expect a decently built 7 port Fiat 103 engine to produce 85 - 90 (at a pinch). A Bandini 8 port 103 engine (legal on Volpinis and Bandinis as there were used by these manufacturers in period) can manage 95 - 100. A Ford 1100 cc should get at least 110, and that's not a Richardson.

In addition the Lola will be approximately 25 kg lighter than a standard Stanguellini.

In speed trap 2 at Goodwood I understand that the Stanguellini was clocked at 139 mph, the Volpini 102 mph!!!!!!!!! Pip,Pip
Talking about the Volpini and slightly off topic. Does this look familiar?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4687.1.jpg  
Old 5 Oct 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2554363)   #235
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Talking about the Volpini and slightly off topic. Does this look familiar?
Is that Monaco 2008? Unfortunately his racing overalls shrunk very badly towards the end of that year and now he can hardly fit into them.
Old 5 Oct 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2554371)   #236
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Is that Monaco 2008? Unfortunately his racing overalls shrunk very badly towards the end of that year and now he can hardly fit into them.
it is in the parking garage....and as long as the car does not shrink..
Old 5 Oct 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2554476)   #237
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
it is in the parking garage....and as long as the car does not shrink..
It's not just his overall that have shrunk as he has got older
Old 5 Oct 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2554481)   #238
simon drabble
Veteran

well you are clearly not referring to his cubic capacity ;o)
Old 9 Oct 2009, 23:21 (Ref:2557884)   #239
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mobile Phone problems

Totally off topic, sorry, but did anyone have problems with mobile phones at Goodwood this year?

The first year was very poor, but in later years the air time suppliers installed extra masts, which I guess gave increased capacity.
This year we only kept in touch with texts and voice mail, as calls were not connecting. Mainly T Mobile and Vodafone.

Colin
Old 10 Oct 2009, 06:57 (Ref:2558012)   #240
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
we used a pre66 valve phone, and a few pigeons, but I ate them on Saturday
Old 10 Oct 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2558027)   #241
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocp View Post
Totally off topic, sorry, but did anyone have problems with mobile phones at Goodwood this year?
Apart from having reasonable connections, (Vodaphone) my phone itself died there and then...on Sunday afternoon.
During the FoS it almost was impossible for one person, with an English phone, to reach me, but we finally managed.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2558034)   #242
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Lord March arranged it so as to keep EVERYTHING in period?
Old 10 Oct 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2558036)   #243
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of course, it did, Pieter; it didn't exist in 1966; how could it not die.

There is a certain irony about this. I remember getting roasted by a good friend a few years ago for not entering into the spirit of the event because I wasn't wearing period costume, even though many of the outfits that appear predate the circuit anyway. Nothing more authentic than a bloke in 1950's tweed jacket, cord trousers and flatcap pulling out a piece of modern technology and speaking into it!

Edit; you beat me to it, Terri!
Old 10 Oct 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2558037)   #244
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post

There is a certain irony about this. I remember getting roasted by a good friend a few years ago for not entering into the spirit of the event because I wasn't wearing period costume, even though many of the outfits that appear predate the circuit anyway. Nothing more authentic than a bloke in 1950's tweed jacket, cord trousers and flatcap pulling out a piece of modern technology and speaking into it!

Sorry John,dont know how that happened!
Old 10 Oct 2009, 07:59 (Ref:2558039)   #245
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post

The Lord lets us use our digital cameras....and I did note some quite un-period TV screens along the track...
Old 10 Oct 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2558046)   #246
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed, my tongue was firmly in cheek. Then there are the modern aircraft parked in the background. The fact is that it is a great show but trying to make it really period authentic is, in practice, almost an impossibility. It's why I can't get too excited by the period attire bit, although I did make the extra effort in 2007, my 10th and last visit (so far) there.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 16:26 (Ref:2561400)   #247
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going back to the racing. Where did all the Minis come from?
In recent years if there have been five Minis out in any historic saloon record that would be the most, so where the rest appear from? Were they built for the event!?
Old 14 Oct 2009, 16:35 (Ref:2561407)   #248
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
heaven forbid anyone build a car for one event!
Old 14 Oct 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2561410)   #249
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Going back to the racing. Where did all the Minis come from?
In recent years if there have been five Minis out in any historic saloon record that would be the most, so where the rest appear from? Were they built for the event!?
I know of the one of Andrew Schryver, which he bought just before it was going to be junked. The price was accordingly, very low....Don't know what he spent on making it race ready though.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2561419)   #250
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
heaven forbid anyone build a car for one event!

Careful Zef,you might give some people idea's for next year.