Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Sep 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2542742)   #51
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My office is one of those affected by the strikes, most recently yesterday. grrr
Old 17 Sep 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2542886)   #52
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm there Friday and Saturday, anybody want to meet up to put names to faces?

Does anyone have an entry list and firm timetable?

Paul M

edit: thet've finally put the timetable on the website..........so has anyone got an entry list?
Old 17 Sep 2009, 16:28 (Ref:2542897)   #53
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Its 2500 pounds a race cheaper than Monaco,it is good value if that type of event. floats your boat.
I'm off to a wedding in Suffolk.

Have a good time boys.

Patch should win Pre War race on form.
Old 20 Sep 2009, 06:48 (Ref:2544153)   #54
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
after a great day of some epic racing and awesome aviation delights (last flight of Vimy and a display from the last Vulcan which made the hairs on the back of you neck stand when it climbed) I was mighty impressed to see at the party last night Mark Knopfler get up and play "local Heroes" in honour of Sir Stirling and Duke of Richmond's 80th birthdays - pure class.
Old 20 Sep 2009, 14:05 (Ref:2544328)   #55
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Now Simon,That has to be worth another entry next year.
Old 20 Sep 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2544391)   #56
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we going to get a report on TV this year?
Old 21 Sep 2009, 06:57 (Ref:2544690)   #57
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Are we going to get a report on TV this year?
Wayne Gardner was using a helmet cam for the TV lot so guess it will be shown at some time- and be a christmas dvd........

Well, the brogues and sports jacket can go back in cupboard for another year. Hopefully feet will recover in time for Spa. Only there sunday as was still getting car ready for next w/end sat pm. Great day, though- thought the Mini only St Mary's was fun. Thanks to Roger W for his entertainment in that, and to PBE for his handling of the FNSS through Woodcote in Brooklands race. Obviously missed Fordwater race but looking at entry list could do with a bit more variety next time- must get some pointers from Simon D When we arrived first thing looked like the Newey E had been subject of some late night work- any clues anyone? Seemed to work OK in the race though!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2544698)   #58
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Forgot to add that the spirit of Ray Hannah lives on with the air displays!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2544730)   #59
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was said that the Vimy was on its last flight, but I did not hear why it is off to the Brooklands museum, any news?
Old 21 Sep 2009, 08:25 (Ref:2544739)   #60
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
on Saturday they said it was being pensioned off as it had done enough flying hours...
Old 21 Sep 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2544745)   #61
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Patch extremely unlucky not to win Pre War race.Good thing boys used hot water.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2544750)   #62
simon drabble
Veteran

Was the front aperture hmologated on an Elite or is it free? I only ask as I was surprised how much they varied on the cars in the Fordwater. I know Roger's one is the "standard" one but some where substantially different
Old 21 Sep 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2544754)   #63
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Was the front aperture hmologated on an Elite or is it free? I only ask as I was surprised how much they varied on the cars in the Fordwater. I know Roger's one is the "standard" one but some where substantially different
For the 1961 Le Mans Mike Costin modified my car (Malle/Carnegie) with a smaller air intake and a flush fitting windscreen. As it was an International event I guess these mods are allowed for all cars....
Old 21 Sep 2009, 08:47 (Ref:2544756)   #64
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
My guess would be, like all the other 50's/60's hand made low production cars, they're all different, especially after 50 years of abuse/repair etc

The Fordwater trophy was great, I felt for Henrik in the unique Simca, a broken rotor arm ruined his day, but he kept his chin up. IT reminded me (again) I must get cracking at a pace with the Rochdale, I think it might be vagualy competitive looking at the results.

A quick mention goes to Mr&Mrs H shacked up on the campsite in a completely original '54 Airstream caravan. pure class, the olives weren't bad either, at least I think they where olives, it was getting dark!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2544767)   #65
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
It was said that the Vimy was on its last flight, but I did not hear why it is off to the Brooklands museum, any news?
Just got back home. I was told that the CAA had refused it a licence to fly.

May I say a particular thanks to Delta and Alan Morgan for all their work for the Chichester Cup over the weekend. They were absolutely brilliant. Quote of the weekend goes to Delta:

"Yes, I did invite them all the the BBQ but I thought they would realise I was only joking"!!!!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2544801)   #66
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the Volpini ??
Old 21 Sep 2009, 10:01 (Ref:2544806)   #67
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Few pics from Sunday.

Old 21 Sep 2009, 10:13 (Ref:2544815)   #68
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
And the Volpini ??
Absolutely fabulous. It went faster than ever before and for the oldest and heaviest car in the race it certainly did not disgrace itself. Iain prepared the car to perfection and beyond.

There was a mix up over the entry and Michael Ashley-Brown drove in my place, but as he has been both class champion in both England and in the FIA Lurani World championship I shouldn't complain (but I did)!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 11:23 (Ref:2544858)   #69
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re the Vimy, yes I was told that CAA was refusing to grant a licence, and that it was presently flying on a US licence which only temporarily allows it to fly here. Shame.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2544859)   #70
simon drabble
Veteran

the contrast of that and the Vulcan was truly awesome....
Old 21 Sep 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2544860)   #71
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I saw Mr Drabble on his out laps and waved from Madgwick butr think he was engrossed on keeping the car on the black bits, also saw the Air Streams in the campsite, very elegant they were too!

A great weekend with thanfully little work to do but some great racing to watch. The weather held after a rather shaky start on Friday when it was very overcast, windy and cold.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2544867)   #72
simon drabble
Veteran

I waved on the slowdown lap!! I have to say that whilst the Turner is immense fun to drive until we get to grips with the wheels (currently on 13x4 wires) and engine (its the car's original 1220 climax and has standard stock bottom end meaning we dont dare rev it over 6.75k) we are never going to threaten anyone - I would catch people up round the corners for them to leave me on the straights which was somewhat frustrating. However better to be one of the backmarkers at Goodwood than not at all!!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2544874)   #73
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
sounds like racing a legal Cortina GT Simon!

the campsite had a good atmosphere at the back were we where, although scrimping on shower/WC facilities did not go un-noticed!

I was a bit blase about the aviation, living so close to Shoreham airport we saw the lot little over 2 weeks ago, and see the small stuff on a fairly regular basis anyway. The Vulcan is the ultimate up-yours to car alarms though
Old 21 Sep 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2544875)   #74
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was happily quite a good meeting for incidents. One of the better ones. I think that Lord March etc will be breathing easier this morning.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2544881)   #75
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The campsite is pretty much as it has been for the past couple of years, certainly since drivers. teams and marshalshave been in the same field. I was talking to a couple of spectators who had been charged £50 per night to use the public camp site!