Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Sep 2009, 22:38 (Ref:2551568)   #201
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
It's not somewhere I've been, but it strikes me as being a fancy dress garden party with cars?
And aeroplanes Tim. Don't forget about the aeroplanes.
Oh, and motorbikes and scooters and horse drawn carriages and brass bands and jazz bands and...........
great female singers
Old 1 Oct 2009, 06:04 (Ref:2551670)   #202
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It one of the great shows and its a pity more people don't use the template to promote their events.Silverstone Festival is getting there.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 07:47 (Ref:2551712)   #203
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear Sir, Reading the various missives sent to your august organ I find myself increasingly in agreement with your contributor Mr John Ruston. Can you get an ointment for this condition or even something to be taken orally? Will this condition pass?
Old 1 Oct 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2551717)   #204
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Dear Mr HAdfield

Rub the prescribed ointment on your organ and the condition will pass
Old 1 Oct 2009, 08:08 (Ref:2551721)   #205
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
Dear Sir, Reading the various missives sent to your august organ I find myself increasingly in agreement with your contributor Mr John Ruston. Can you get an ointment for this condition or even something to be taken orally? Will this condition pass?
Beware of an overdose....(btw, did you get your x-mas cards?)
Old 1 Oct 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2551825)   #206
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Dear Mr HAdfield

Rub the prescribed ointment on your organ and the condition will pass
But presumably only in August - he'll have to wait.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2551860)   #207
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found this video with a great bit of the revival in the middle. Fantastic to see the lateral movement of the Ferrari 250s and to see the Bread Van being driven in anger!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlNcH...e=channel_page
Old 1 Oct 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2551953)   #208
Andy Bacon
Rookie

England
Bedford and Phuket
Andy Bacon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regard to the rules Goodwood are trying: all entries for the mini race had to present the car with the cylinder head removed (including any spare engine). Capacity was checked and engines were sealed. The winning car was also subject to post race checking of track etc.

The result:

The right car and best drivers won the trophy
There were no whispers/rumours about anyone cheating so a nice relaxed paddock
A former "star" and "giant killer" was now nowhere and about 2 sec a lap slower than previous which proves my and others' previous assertions that the man is just a cheat
And a great entertaining race to watch as well
Old 1 Oct 2009, 14:05 (Ref:2551954)   #209
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
having read that I will now go back to the results and try and work out who you are talking about !!
Old 1 Oct 2009, 15:55 (Ref:2552014)   #210
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I tend to agree with JR's description of this event although I do think that there is some genuinely good racing to be seen. Oh, and I'd also be wary of using too much of it as a template for other events; use sparingly and selectively rather like the ointment prescribed for Mr Hadfield's affliction.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 17:35 (Ref:2552093)   #211
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ITV programme showed some pretty good racing amongst the first 3 cars in the TT at least (it also showed quite how low the E Type was). What a shame Peter H had to retire.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 17:51 (Ref:2552105)   #212
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree - not only a really good bloke but excellant driver
Old 1 Oct 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2552107)   #213
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An E Type running that low and they decide to have all the Mini heads orf!
Old 1 Oct 2009, 18:00 (Ref:2552115)   #214
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I was amused by that E type's open bootlid with fillets along the sides to form a spoiler................

Peter Hardman?

Thought some of the racing was excellent- didn't see one car lapping the field like at the Classic!
Old 1 Oct 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2552123)   #215
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I was amused by that E type's open bootlid with fillets along the sides to form a spoiler................
Red Bull's windtunnel???
Old 1 Oct 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2552131)   #216
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Red Bull's windtunnel???
Old 1 Oct 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2552215)   #217
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Wouldnt a piece of kit like this saved all that head pulling, I mean for a start its bloody agro to do at the track then there is the cost of the gaskets. http://www.precisionmeasure.com/test1.htm It says it may not work on all OHC engines as the valve action has to be stopped but I would have thought ideal for the Minis and yanks.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2552224)   #218
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a pity that we now seem to have "Goodwood specials", highly developed cars which are unlikely to get an entry in other series. As well as the Red Bull E type, I can think of various A35s, the Grey Lady etc.
No doubt the kudo of winning a Goodwood race is so great that extreme measures and spending are called for!
Old 1 Oct 2009, 20:05 (Ref:2552233)   #219
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes quite,I wonder how many Mondays have been wasted sitting around waiting for Bernie to call.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2552287)   #220
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Have to agree the races are close.Wonder why?
Old 2 Oct 2009, 07:21 (Ref:2552474)   #221
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
maybe AAOC supplied 70 octane carrot juice and it nullified all the hot rod engines
Old 2 Oct 2009, 10:32 (Ref:2552579)   #222
Andy Bacon
Rookie

England
Bedford and Phuket
Andy Bacon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Wouldnt a piece of kit like this saved all that head pulling, I mean for a start its bloody agro to do at the track then there is the cost of the gaskets. http://www.precisionmeasure.com/test1.htm It says it may not work on all OHC engines as the valve action has to be stopped but I would have thought ideal for the Minis and yanks.
Maybe, but on an A series engine you will have to remove (possibly loosen) 4 of the head nuts to remove 2 push rods so you may as well have the head off as I certainly would not risk a cracked head or not replacing the gasket after doing so.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2552583)   #223
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bacon View Post
Maybe, but on an A series engine you will have to remove (possibly loosen) 4 of the head nuts to remove 2 push rods so you may as well have the head off as I certainly would not risk a cracked head or not replacing the gasket after doing so.
switching to "honesty" might be a cheaper solution.....
Old 2 Oct 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2552594)   #224
simon drabble
Veteran

a BRDC member racing in the Fordwater who raced MGB's in period told me in the changing room that due to the size of something technical (I glazed over at this point) it is impossible to make a legal sized B with any poke... and never has been. Is that correct? Also somebody must tell Sideways to stop being such a miserable git...
Old 2 Oct 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2552644)   #225
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's why Derrington built the crossflow head.

Although I'm no expert I believe that in FIA App k form the best you can expect is 135-138BHP. You can possibly get more with twin webers but that's not legal.