Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 15 Mar 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1549263)   #26
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to every one,missed just one saturday.Have hardly been to any other british racing since as circuits are so boring compared to Birmingham!
Actually,I thought we had already discussed this,and I recall sending some of my photos to 'bigears'- or was it that other forum we are not allowed to mention?
Old 15 Mar 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1549277)   #27
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I also have a sense of deja vous but its a great subject!
Old 15 Mar 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1549399)   #28
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob, yes you have already sent your collection of BSP photos last year.

Nice to see you in this forum by the way

rescue dude, if you got anything what James Hunt said about the Birmingham Superprix, you can PM me?
Old 15 Mar 2006, 13:14 (Ref:1549436)   #29
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went in 86 and 88, the latter was complete chaos due to the crashes, and not much of a race as I recall. 86 was the worst weather I ever experienced at a track. The Pavesi Ralts made the rest look silly, Perez Sala I think could be another of our "he looked really good, why didn't he do better in F1...".
Old 15 Mar 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1549445)   #30
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
But Sala made a mess of his lead when he spun into the barriers and losing his nose cover. He lost a lot of ground when Pierluigi Martini and Michel Ferte caught him up. But Sala was saved by the bell when Andrew Gilbert Scott spun into Alain Ferte's abandoned car before the chicane resulting the red flag to be brought out.

Sala won the race when the chasing duo finished about three seconds behind.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1549764)   #31
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was there in 1990 as a newbie marshal working on Sherlock Street (I think!). We had a huge TVR Tuscan incident - he bounced off the armco on both sides (including knocking back the flag point which was up in the air on scaffolding) before landing right by us. As we helped him over the barrier the poor guy was nearly in tears - it was a new car. I don't think I impressed him by pointing out that the mirror in the middle of the track looked pretty undamaged!

There is also a tale surrounding all the NW marshals going for a Chinese - but I won't repeat it here apart from mentioning that our ex-president Pete Roberts had to carry me inside because he'd tied my shoelaces together on the minibus (unbeknown to me).

And if I recall correctly, some of the delays in 1985 were as a result of local "fans" having gone round unscrewing the bolts in the armco - so they all had to be checked before anything could get going. My uncle, Derek Ongaro rip, was in charge of safety and he was not a happy chappy. Actually.....that gives me a thought for a new thread!
Old 15 Mar 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1549852)   #32
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
I think there is footage of the stranded car in the race racehlights of the TVR race, I believe you was located not that far from the fast left hander to Pershore Street.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1550218)   #33
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I attended every Super Prix. My memories are:

The rain the first year. Thetailend of a hurricane from the States (I think it may have been called Charlie).

The noise. It wasn't too bad on certain parts but especially around the fruit market it bounced back at you.

The start of practice the first year being delayed because the armco needed tightening.

Russell Spence being hoist aloft in his car because he was a pratt and was trying (unfortunately he succeeded) in getting the session stopped.

A race for MG Metro 6R4s

The Halfords Hairpin. Great overtaking, plenty of incident, and a thin advertising banner being continuously ripped off by the cars brushing against it.

A perfectly healthy tree being cut down because it impeeded the view from a grandstand. I found that a shame because with a bit of thought the grandstand could have been built a few feet away without a problem.

Drivers posing for photographs around Bristol Street Motors. they all seemed so friendly and approachable (but then even F1 drivers were back then).

Residents selling drinks and sandwiches from their gardens.

A girl called Sue!
Old 16 Mar 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1550221)   #34
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Close, it was Hurricane Charley.

I would like to know more about the delayed practice sessions because the armco wasn't tightened on properly. Which part of the circuit that was affected? How much time was the practice sessions was delayed?

A member in an other forum (not sure if I am allowed to mention it but anyway...) said that he looked at Jean Alesi's tyres in the pits after qualifying in 1989. He said that the tyres sidewalls was covered in blue and red plastic pieces. It was clear that Jean Alesi was taking a tight line into the Halfords Hairpin and shredded parts of the plastic covers of the Halfords sponsors!
Old 16 Mar 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1550291)   #35
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
And if I recall correctly, some of the delays in 1985 were as a result of local "fans" having gone round unscrewing the bolts in the armco - so they all had to be checked before anything could get going. My uncle, Derek Ongaro rip, was in charge of safety and he was not a happy chappy. Actually.....that gives me a thought for a new thread!
My memory of the armco problem was that is was 'lapped'* the wrong way and the joints had to be changed over.
*This means that the Armco joints should be so that (in the direction of travel) the ending section was on top of the new section. Then there would be no problem with a car 'brushin' the barrier, and digging in.
Just one more thought...
Could this problem have arisen because the circuit was run anti - clockwise, which is the opposite direction to most 'normal' circuits?
Old 16 Mar 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1550303)   #36
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
What about the drivers football match on the start/finish line?

That was a hoot can't remember who won but Satoru Nakajima had a great time.

After the match swapped jokes with him which was interesting because he couldn't speak English and we went through an interpreter. Weird but very funny!!
Old 16 Mar 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1550359)   #37
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Ah yes, I heard about that football story! This guy posted on an other forum and he said that there was a kick about and they used trolley jacks as the goalposts!

There was a match Italy against the rest of the world as there was a large number of Italian drivers taking part of the 1986 season. So Capelli and Tarquini took part and did the typcial Italian goal celebrations like embracing the goal scorer and lifting the hands in the air to the crowd.

The soaked crowd absolutely enjoyed it!
Old 16 Mar 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1550387)   #38
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
My memory of the armco problem was that is was 'lapped'* the wrong way and the joints had to be changed over.
*This means that the Armco joints should be so that (in the direction of travel) the ending section was on top of the new section. Then there would be no problem with a car 'brushin' the barrier, and digging in.
Just one more thought...
Could this problem have arisen because the circuit was run anti - clockwise, which is the opposite direction to most 'normal' circuits?
Did you actually see the armco lapped wrongly? After the Thundersports crash (in which I was envolved) I believe there was a legal action in which this was said, but I thought this to do with a gate in the armco and not wrongly lapped armco.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1550432)   #39
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
I can't recall of an armco gate in the F3000 video footage I got. Is it to do with right-left kink before the Ferodo corner that caused Robin Smith's fiery Thundersports shunt in 1986?

(Photo taken by me)

Or is it much further back near the mosque?
Old 16 Mar 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1550473)   #40
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am certainly stretching the memory and can only go by what I remember being told 10+ years ago - so not sure whether or not I'm telling fibs.

T'other half did the first race and reckons they tightened up the armco bolts themselves - just to get things moving.

Don't you just love different perspectives.........
Old 16 Mar 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1550522)   #41
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
I was there in 1990 as a newbie marshal working on Sherlock Street (I think!). We had a huge TVR Tuscan incident - he bounced off the armco on both sides (including knocking back the flag point which was up in the air on scaffolding) before landing right by us. As we helped him over the barrier the poor guy was nearly in tears - it was a new car. I don't think I impressed him by pointing out that the mirror in the middle of the track looked pretty undamaged!

I was stood on top of the Flag Point when that happened - quite exciting I only went to the last one but I do remember having a brilliant time. The other abiding memory is of waiting for the Barbazza / Irvine battle to arrive into sight and seeing something flash across the end of the street, it was Barbazza proceding (quickly!) to the scene of the accident. Pity as it was his best F3000 drive. Also remember how easy it was to get away from the circuit at the end of the meeting. Fantstic.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1550526)   #42
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robin Smith hit the barrier on the straight while passing a number af slower cars in qualifying. I was 2-300 yards further up the track when he passed us at speed and the fuel that leaked into the cockpit exploded and blew the doors open.We were understandably busy from then on and I never did walk down to the mosque to see the "offending " gate. Derek Ongaro had walked the entire circuit in the mornng and I believe that all the loose bolts were tightened before practice started.
Rumour had it at the time that vandels had undone the bolts
the previous evening
Old 16 Mar 2006, 22:46 (Ref:1550631)   #43
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal
I was stood on top of the Flag Point when that happened - quite exciting I only went to the last one but I do remember having a brilliant time. The other abiding memory is of waiting for the Barbazza / Irvine battle to arrive into sight and seeing something flash across the end of the street, it was Barbazza proceding (quickly!) to the scene of the accident. Pity as it was his best F3000 drive. Also remember how easy it was to get away from the circuit at the end of the meeting. Fantstic.
Was it a green TVR and you had to bring out the split oil warning flags? I got highlights of the race and I believe it is that car.

Continue contributing this thread, I am really enjoying this thread! If any of you got any photos then I would be very interested!
Old 18 Mar 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1551861)   #44
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigears
Was it a green TVR and you had to bring out the split oil warning flags? I got highlights of the race and I believe it is that car.
In my memory it was a dark green but I can't comment on the flags. As I've said previously, there was at least a mirror in the track so I'm pretty sure there was other debris as well. And back in 1990 the oil flag was still used for debris, rather than the yellow (but that's a whole different debate).

I also remember that we used the toilets in a nearby pub - I'm sure the locals were very friendly but it wasn't the sort of place I would normally frequent. Or maybe the staring was just due to "this girl in orange overalls" having walked in - that's usually enough to get funny looks!
Old 18 Mar 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1551993)   #45
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Yes, it was a dark green TVR still pointing against the armco, not sideways by the armco.

Also the pub you must be referring to is the White Swan pub, it is still there today and I am tempted to pop in one day and ask someone there if they know anything about the BSP!
Old 26 Mar 2006, 01:08 (Ref:1560700)   #46
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
I am going to visit the BSP track tomorrow so is there any specific requests for photos of a certain part of the track from anyone here?
Old 13 Apr 2006, 22:54 (Ref:1580842)   #47
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Now I am going to start off with a lap of the Birmingham Superprix as it is now and I will add some photos to compare what it was like back from 1986-1990. So hopefully it will give you a good idea what the track is really like and why I like about it!

Bristol Street: The main straight

The cramped pitlane

Exit of Bristol Street into the first turn

Approaching and exiting the chicane

Peter Barwell Hill

Halfords Hairpin

[img][http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...dsHairpin6.jpg[/img]

Belgrave Middleway

Ferodo Corner

Sherlock Street

Turn 8

[img]

Pershore Street

Turn 9

Bromsgrove Street

The final turn

Approaching the start/finish line

The finish! Now you know what a lap of the Birmingham Superprix is like!

I have added in photos of to compare the differences between the Birmingham Superprix from 1986-1990 and present day. Enjoy!
Old 17 Apr 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1586936)   #48
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does Anyone recall Martin Hone?

Several years prior to the actual races a guy called MARTIN HONE, an ex-racer and operator of Birmingham's OPPOSITE LOCK CLUB came up with the idea of Racing Cars on the streets of Brum. He asked me if I would bring my Swish Anglia to represent the Saloon cars. I remember we started in Victoria Square, down New Street, into Corporation Street left into Bull Street and left into Colmore Row and back to Victoria Square. Thousands lined the streets, the sound was raucous, and exciting. This would be in 1973 or 74. We had all manner of racing cars, I remember Derek Bell, and Stirling Moss were there. I remember it vividly as I did the Commentary for BBC Radio BIRMINGHAM (now Radio WM) along with Steve Roper) My mechanic Dave Neal took the car round the "circuit". But Martin didn't stop there he pestered the City Council for a Birmingham Grand Prix, they said NO. He planned it all out for them, had meeting after meeting with various committee's, they said NO! He came back with plans and ideas and contacts...and backers...they said NO. Then, the next thing that Martin heard was that a Race was to take place. Martin wasn't in the equasion. I never hear anyone even mention the guys name now. Very sad indeed. He started the ball rolling, it really was his idea, his creation. He eventually left the City and went to the country. He deserved so much more from the sport he loved and the City he put on the Motor Racing map. Just thought that it was worth mentioning. I was there and I know what happened. Martin really was the Father of the Birmingham Grand Prix's. Gerry.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1587108)   #49
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Thank you for the informative post, I never knew that there was an other demostration run of racing cars before 1976 (the last time I know is that Patrick Neve in his Brabham BT45 drove a few laps around the streets near the New Street station but I never managed to find out what is the exact layout that never drove around)

It was Andrew Marriott of CSS (a motorsport marketing company) that got the rights to promote and being involved of setting up the BSP. According to a MotorSport article back in 2002. Martin Hone did a presentation to the council to convince them for the last time to allow him to set up the BSP after he got the Birmingham Road Race Bill from the Parliament and then Marriott walked in and got the deal from the Birmingham City Council after 10 minutes of his presentation!

I remember in the various news snippets I have seen from Central News, I have seen John Nicol (clerk of course) being interviewed, Mike Lawrence from MotorSport and Stirling Moss was the same. There is nothing at all from Martin Hone himself.

MotorSport summed up how Martin Hone felt:

"The man you have to feel most sorry for is Hone, whose baby was snatched away from him at birth."

Where is this Opposite Lock club? Is it based at Gas Street and is it still there?
Old 20 Apr 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1589945)   #50
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to add my name to this list of folk with extremely fond memories of the Birmingham races. I competed in a Thundersports Tiga with Tony Dron in the first year (when we got rained off; bitterly disppointed). Second year, raced a B Class 911 came second to Robinson.
Street races are definitely my favourite form of road racing; requires brave precision and no mistakes to win races
I ended up working in the Monaco House showrooms a few years later (Evans Halshaw Ferrari).
Wonderful memories. Did we not have a similar thread a year or two ago?