Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Feb 2014, 15:57 (Ref:3372790)   #776
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the info. It is interesting that the datasheet lists many things, but accuracy is not one of them.

FIA Fuel Flow Homologation Information

So it must meet or exceeds the FIA spec defined in the homologation documentation above. It would be interesting to know if it beats the spec, by how much. If I am reading the homologation doc correctly, the meter is allowed to under-report the instantaneous flow rate by a little (likely the hard measurement in dynamic conditions), but it can't over-report. So if the actual instantaneous flow is a tiny bit high (sensor reads lower than reality), that is OK.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 27 Feb 2014 at 16:02.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 10:52 (Ref:3373121)   #777
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Here we go

"It's fair to say Renault's request for an extension to the engine homologation deadline has stirred up a bit of a hornet's nest. It's a very controversial thing to request, for two reasons - 1) these engine rules are effectively only in F1 because Renault wanted them and threatened to quit if they were not introduced; 2) the manufacturers have already had an extra year to develop the engines, after the initial date for the introduction of hybrid turbos was pushed back from 2013. Renault want an extra two months of development before specs are frozen, by the way. Contrary to what I wrote earlier, unanimity is needed for Renault's request to pass.

Andrew Benson : http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26380181
Old 28 Feb 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3373130)   #778
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Engine homologation should read POWER TRAIN. The engine is only part of a complex power train. The IC motor itself might not be the issue and it is about time that journos started to get their fat heads around some of this stuff.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 13:04 (Ref:3373160)   #779
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here we go...

Renault confirmed at midday on Friday that its 2014 engine design has been homologated by the FIA.

F1's three engine manufacturers must submit their engine designs to the FIA for homologation today, with the final process for all three car makers being undertaken as normal.

Renault had previously strongly denied suggestions that it had asked for a delay in the homologation.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 20:37 (Ref:3373327)   #780
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is only the internal combustion engine homologation that is being done at this stage then they are probably fine. When the engine is going it sounds fantastic and certainly on song, I am sure it is just the ERS components that are not working as well. Also, a cooling issue could always be corrected down the track for the purpose of reliabilty, just as long as the power unit makes enough power, which I'm sure it does after endless hours on the dyno over the winter.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 08:16 (Ref:3389197)   #781
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After two complete GP's and Bahrain qualifying I have noticed the Ferrari engined cars appear to be at the bottom of the pile.

Everyone would probably agree that Mercedes has the best engine at the moment but I suspect that Renault is actually ahead of Ferrari for the following reasons.

You will never hear anybody from Ferrari complain about their engines being down on power.
There are usually one or two Renault powered cars ahead of Ferrari powered cars in straight line speed comparisons.
Ferrari have only two customer teams but they are both at the lower end of the grid, Marussia you would expect but Sauber is at the bottom (along with Enstone) of the midfield.
How much of Saubers problems are car related or power unit is difficult to judge. I am aware they have problem with their brake by wire/energy recovery system. Is it a Ferrari issue as I seem to remember Raikkonen having problems in that dept. as well.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3389202)   #782
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
How much of Saubers problems are car related or power unit is difficult to judge. I am aware they have problem with their brake by wire/energy recovery system. Is it a Ferrari issue as I seem to remember Raikkonen having problems in that dept. as well.
The Sauber is also very heavy - I seem to remember someone mentioning during qualifying yesterday that it's 20kg over the minimum wieght so that would be hurting them too. Whether that weight is partly down to the Ferrari power unit being heavy is open to question of course.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3389272)   #783
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bernie has stuck his oar in saying that F1 is not the place to be developing new engine technology!!!!!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113312
I suspect he is trying to help out his mates at RB or has been listening to Luca in Italy who currently have power units that are not as good as those from Mercedes.

I thought it was his job to promote F1 not denigrate it.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 11:54 (Ref:3389278)   #784
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the new engine sounds, they are a bit more deeper. I felt the old one's were getting repetitive. (or it could be down to the brother playing F1 on the Xbox on a constant basis)
Old 8 Apr 2014, 10:23 (Ref:3390124)   #785
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The current situation perfectly shows the immorality of an 'engine freeze', particularly in a series in which major interests are at stake. It is said that Renault's power units lack dozens of brake horsepower, but they cannot fix it. The engine homologation prohibits any in-season improvement to the engine design. In fact, the basic engine design is homologated until the end of the current legislative cycle. If Renault's problems are indeed fundamental, it remains to be seen whether the French manufacture can fix their problems after this season.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 11:41 (Ref:3390143)   #786
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Bernie has stuck his oar in saying that F1 is not the place to be developing new engine technology!!!!!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113312
I suspect he is trying to help out his mates at RB or has been listening to Luca in Italy who currently have power units that are not as good as those from Mercedes.

I thought it was his job to promote F1 not denigrate it.
Er, what? The man is mental.

Anyway, the homologation means no-one is developing their engines.... Which is a shame.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 20:02 (Ref:3390325)   #787
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Er, what? The man is mental.

Anyway, the homologation means no-one is developing their engines.... Which is a shame.
I've been questioning his sanity for sometime. Why is it though, when anything like this happens, Bernie holds his hands in the air and blames everyone else, surely he was part of the negotiating process?
Old 8 Apr 2014, 20:37 (Ref:3390336)   #788
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
It seems like Bernie may not be made but has a plan to buy back F1 and a lot of what he has said in recent times may be part of that plan.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....5&postcount=93

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...o-buy-f1-back/
Old 9 Apr 2014, 00:05 (Ref:3390374)   #789
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It seems like Bernie may not be made but has a plan to buy back F1 and a lot of what he has said in recent times may be part of that plan.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....5&postcount=93

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...o-buy-f1-back/
He's still got that litigation in Germany.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 07:51 (Ref:3390440)   #790
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He's still got that litigation in Germany.
I doubt CVC want to see their name dragged through the German courts as well. According to the Autosport article it is something CVC do not want as it can have knock on effects with other investors even if the rate return has been good from F1.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 00:59 (Ref:3390681)   #791
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Back on topic!

From F1Pete in Bahrain thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Here is an explanation why the Mercs are so strong....and will continue to be the team of the races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBB2F6IutQ
Mercedes for three years apparently following a really clever bit of engineering!
Old 10 Apr 2014, 05:15 (Ref:3390698)   #792
stump_1100
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
stump_1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple ideas often yield better results, excellent video.