Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Apr 2014, 13:18 (Ref:3393865)   #326
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There's already an issue with how quiet the current cars are.
This is something I truly do not understand. Now the strategic group has to figure out a way to make the things louder? Would fans prefer it if the teams had amplifiers and loudspeakers on the back of their cars loudly playing the sounds of 70's era V12's?
Old 17 Apr 2014, 13:32 (Ref:3393876)   #327
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
This is something I truly do not understand. Now the strategic group has to figure out a way to make the things louder? Would fans prefer it if the teams had amplifiers and loudspeakers on the back of their cars loudly playing the sounds of 70's era V12's?
I personally don't have a problem with the sound. The new power train is very torquey and means the drivers have a car which they really have to drive.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3393989)   #328
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This whole issue about the sound of the cars is pathetic.

People should embrace the WEALTH of technology that the new cars offer. It's a sad state of affairs if the SPL of race cars is all that matters ..
Old 17 Apr 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3394133)   #329
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
This whole issue about the sound of the cars is pathetic.
No it's not.

Regardless of what you guys are trying to say, the sound is important. I'm not saying the new cars need to be as loud as the V8's, but to me F1 needs to be in a league of it's own as far as sound goes. It can be with the new hybrid+turbo tones, but in my opinion the actual engine should still be singing. The fuel flow restrictions have them limited around 12krpm, but I have heard a few of them rev to over 13krpm and they sounded good. I think if they did spin them to 15krpm it would provide a better balance. Just my opinion.

If you don't get it, watch this ad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_kwxzU4wL4
This advertisement is spectacular and the first time I saw it, it made me proud to be a fan of F1.

I'm not saying it is necessarily right that people are so focused on the sound of F1, but to me you cannot argue that it's unimportant.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 23:12 (Ref:3394142)   #330
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh yes it is.

You're being unfair by not quoting the second line. Jeremy says it's unimportant because we have gained other things and it shouldn't be regarded as all that matters.

Feel free to contradict me: the previous generation of V8s sounded rubbish, just loud.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 23:14 (Ref:3394144)   #331
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
If you don't get it, watch this ad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_kwxzU4wL4
This advertisement is spectacular and the first time I saw it, it made me proud to be a fan of F1.
What I find interesting about that ad is I prefer the late '60's and early 1970's cars, and they had steel valve springs and topped-out well below 12,000. I remember 12,000 being a great accomplishment. In the late 1980's?

But most of the fans in talking about that ad seem to prefer the later cars.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 23:52 (Ref:3394152)   #332
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Oh yes it is.

You're being unfair by not quoting the second line. Jeremy says it's unimportant because we have gained other things and it shouldn't be regarded as all that matters.

Feel free to contradict me: the previous generation of V8s sounded rubbish, just loud.
You're right, Jeremy did say that, and personally I agree with the second statement. But he started by saying "This whole issue about the sound of the cars is pathetic." Regardless of how you try and justify it, I firmly believe that statement to be incorrect.

There's no doubt we will all get used to the sound, I don't even think that many fans will turn away because of it. But I don't think you can argue that sound is not an important element of F1.

Again, the previous generation V8's are not the noise or volume that the current PU's should try to replicate, but I still think it needs to be a little more 'unique'.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 00:07 (Ref:3394156)   #333
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, good luck with that.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3394162)   #334
mikuni
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Well, good luck with that.

I'm not expecting it to change. I understand the engineering behind it all and why it must sound the way it does.

But the thread is just for discussion, not solving all the problems of the world.

F1 is what it is and I'm enjoying the season and the new cars, despite some areas that could have been regulated differently.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 02:08 (Ref:3394180)   #335
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You're right, Jeremy did say that, and personally I agree with the second statement. But he started by saying "This whole issue about the sound of the cars is pathetic." Regardless of how you try and justify it, I firmly believe that statement to be incorrect.

There's no doubt we will all get used to the sound, I don't even think that many fans will turn away because of it. But I don't think you can argue that sound is not an important element of F1.

Again, the previous generation V8's are not the noise or volume that the current PU's should try to replicate, but I still think it needs to be a little more 'unique'.
I will make a deal with you and re-phrase ..

It rather sad that so much focus seems to be put on the sound of the new cars, when the technology being used it just amazing don't you think !

And it's only the beginning ... What brilliant minds these engineers have ..
Old 18 Apr 2014, 06:32 (Ref:3394219)   #336
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
It rather sad that so much focus seems to be put on the sound of the new cars, when the technology being used it just amazing don't you think !

And it's only the beginning ... What brilliant minds these engineers have ..
It's Bernie's version of F1. So many of the old gearhead types said 'Thanks but no thanks' when the sport shifted to banning any interesting new idea, and moved on. Now the sport can make an amazing technical improvement in one year, about the same speed on 40% less fuel, and for most fans the new technology is a big yawn and 'They took away my noise!'

The sad thing is I think the sport could have both technical innovation and inspiring racing action that people would talk about years later. There was a tiny taste that in the last race.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 09:05 (Ref:3394280)   #337
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
It's Bernie's version of F1. So many of the old gearhead types said 'Thanks but no thanks' when the sport shifted to banning any interesting new idea, and moved on. Now the sport can make an amazing technical improvement in one year, about the same speed on 40% less fuel, and for most fans the new technology is a big yawn and 'They took away my noise!'

The sad thing is I think the sport could have both technical innovation and inspiring racing action that people would talk about years later. There was a tiny taste that in the last race.
I am not so sure about the new technology" being a big yawn" for most of the fans, I think it's a *knee jerk*reaction to change myself ...
Old 19 Apr 2014, 01:27 (Ref:3394740)   #338
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

This is exactly the sad part!
Old 22 Apr 2014, 16:54 (Ref:3396807)   #339
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Er, sorry, which planet was it you said you came from?
Old 25 Apr 2014, 22:08 (Ref:3398291)   #340
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What I find interesting about that ad is I prefer the late '60's and early 1970's cars, and they had steel valve springs and topped-out well below 12,000. I remember 12,000 being a great accomplishment. In the late 1980's?

But most of the fans in talking about that ad seem to prefer the later cars.

I still remember when the Matra-Simcas got to 13k - wow. But I think, more importantly, that it has been way too long that the engines were all the same sound - all V10, V8, V6. I started with V6, V12, V8, I4, H16 at one time, now you can barely tell one make from the other. Too much spec!
Old 25 Apr 2014, 23:01 (Ref:3398306)   #341
mikuni
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkione View Post
Er, sorry, which planet was it you said you came from?
That is such a witty retort to this discussion that I can't possibly come back with a reply. You win this round ten-tenths.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 23:30 (Ref:3398313)   #342
brandscooper
Rookie

brandscooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As noted above the v8 engines were just loud and unpleasant after a while. That said they were what they were - same for the turbo motors. It makes my blood run cold when I hear about plans to artificially make them louder. We'll never have the 22k rpm v10's again, so lets move on. Its about time F1 embraced hybrid technology - the more the better I say. If you want loud go to a NASCAR race, if you want to see the fastest high tech race cars go to an F1 race. F1 is more than just the sound for goodness sake.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3398321)   #343
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that it's generally agreed that the engines aren't loud enough. I do like their sound - but it just would be nice to hear the distinctive sound of the turbo engines - especially the "whoosh" from the wastegate!
Old 12 May 2014, 12:35 (Ref:3405343)   #344
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
OK, so here we are a few races into the season, and things appear to have gone a bit quiet (pun intended) in this thread.
To me, the PU's are sounding a bit louder now on TV to a level which I feel is perfectly acceptable, as I can still hear the other sounds as well as the engine. Presumably this is because the TV companies have altered the microphones to suit the quieter systems as opposed to leaving them how they were with the ear-splitting V8's?
During the BBC coverage of the race yesterday, the pits reporter Tom Clarkson tried to do a piece from the end of the pit lane when cars were setting off to join the grid. There certainly didn't appear to ba a lack of sound from where he was standing!
Old 12 May 2014, 12:55 (Ref:3405360)   #345
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mercedes are to test a louder exhaust system.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...rated+Feeds%29
Old 12 May 2014, 13:43 (Ref:3405389)   #346
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
5 races in and I have to admit even though I complained about the sound (really lack of) at the beginning, I don't think about it when I'm watching the race now. Not once during Spain did I think "the cars are too quiet". For me, i've gotten to the stage where I've accepted this is what these F1 cars sound like, and as long as the racing is there then current sound isn't an issue
Old 12 May 2014, 19:16 (Ref:3405560)   #347
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
At the end of the day, the fact is, if F1 did not adopt the V6 turbo, F1 would probably be closer to a one make series today.

Fact, Renault said it will pull out of F1 if the V6 turbo wasn't introduced. Fact, Mercedes would not be in F1, as either a manufacturer or an PU supplier if the V6 turbo wasn't introduced. Fact, Honda would not be coming to F1 if the V6 turbo wasn't introduced.

Cosworth still has ambitions of re-entering the formula with a V6 turbo. Toyota and BMW couldn't see the benefit of continuing in F1 with NA technology. Both wanted a change. But the change came too late for them.

The only manufacturer that was not keen on the V6 turbo was Ferrari. They weren't happy, and are still not happy. So if Ferrari was the only engine supply choice, how many of the other teams would still be in F1? How exciting would F1 be with four or maybe five teams all running Ferrari PU's? Fact is, if the V6 turbo wasn't introduced, that could well have been F1 2014.
This is a very interesting point regarding these other manufacturers. I am still bored S#^#less with these cars though, and they are actually, properly, hideous from the front to look at.

There was an interview on Sky Sport last week, Legends of F1, Mika Hakkinen. Fantastic, the best hour of f1 related viewing I have had in 2014.
Old 12 May 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3405644)   #348
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think they look alright the cars, especially the Mercedes and Red Bull.

You always get used to them. If they were glued to the track with blown diffusers, weedy engines and outrageous downforce I'd probably think differently mind you.
Old 13 May 2014, 15:46 (Ref:3405896)   #349
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Force India's Bob Fernley thinks F1 should embrace the new engine sound.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113937
Old 13 May 2014, 21:29 (Ref:3406018)   #350
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The FIA are to use sound enginners to analyse the sound produced from the modified Mercdes exhaust.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113945

The interesting bit is the modified exhaust does not conform to the currert regs. Now I wonder what loopholes that could open up.