Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Feb 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3373189)   #1
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Force India, financial & ownership legal problems

It looks like not only are the legal problems for the teams ownership rapidly increasing, but they are also unable to meet the terms of their contractually agreed payment schedules with their suppliers.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/...ndia/#comments

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/...ers-to-police/
Old 28 Feb 2014, 14:20 (Ref:3373190)   #2
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh no...
Old 28 Feb 2014, 15:32 (Ref:3373213)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Another day, another Saward post bashing FI...
Old 28 Feb 2014, 15:33 (Ref:3373214)   #4
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Sooner or later these guys were going to get into big trouble.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 16:14 (Ref:3373239)   #5
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Possibly, but if these assertions made by Saward aren't true, then why don't FI sue him and get a cease and desist.

Last edited by davyboy; 28 Feb 2014 at 16:37.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 16:28 (Ref:3373244)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
or if they're that bothered about it, figure out who in their accounts department is leaking information and show them the door...

bbc news item about subrata roy turning himself in: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-26379739
Old 28 Feb 2014, 16:41 (Ref:3373250)   #7
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They seem to have built a pretty good car this year though, on far less resources than Caterham for example.

Of course, Saward is a director of Caterham so the constant bashing isn't exactly a journalistic campaign for truth....

Who would benefit most if they disappeared from the grid?
Old 28 Feb 2014, 18:49 (Ref:3373297)   #8
EastonNeston
Veteran

Yes, Flavio, Joe Saward is a non-executive director of the Caterham group, with no direct involvement, or influence, over the F1 team. He is also a highly respected & very reputable journalist who reports on the sport & the business very well and honestly.

Both Malaya & Roy are facing serious legal issues, as well as very serious financial issues, & whilst the f1 team may have funding in place for this season if, when, the parent companies collapse there is no way the F1 team will survive unless new ownership can be found.
The fact that several suppliers are been asked to vary previously agreed payment terms & schedules would suggest cash-flow issues within the F1 team.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3373301)   #9
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
Yes, Flavio, Joe Saward is a non-executive director of the Caterham group, with no direct involvement, or influence, over the F1 team. He is also a highly respected & very reputable journalist who reports on the sport & the business very well and honestly.

Both Malaya & Roy are facing serious legal issues, as well as very serious financial issues, & whilst the f1 team may have funding in place for this season if, when, the parent companies collapse there is no way the F1 team will survive unless new ownership can be found.
The fact that several suppliers are been asked to vary previously agreed payment terms & schedules would suggest cash-flow issues within the F1 team.
You seem to be unaware that the responsibility of non-executive directors includes keeping a watching brief over the activities of all the companies under the main company's umbrella, and in this case that would in the racing team. Saward may have extensive pedigree when it comes to motor racing, but I am unsure of his qualifications to make comments about a competitor's finances.

Malaya and Roy may face difficulties in India over their business practices, but certainly in the case of Roy, the alleged offence that is being investigated covers an amount of some tens of millions of pounds sterling whilst his businesses are worth billions of pounds of which he is personally a major benefactor. I believe that even if he lost the case against him, it would be no more than a ripple in his financial pond.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3373305)   #10
EastonNeston
Veteran

I'd say that failing to repay over £3 Billion, acquired in illegal activities, is a serious matter, so it would make a very big ripple! Remember he is also implicated in the corruption within the IPL.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 19:31 (Ref:3373308)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
He is also a highly respected & very reputable journalist who reports on the sport & the business very well and honestly.
im a big fan because his posts are well researched and he often states that he refuses to speculate on things while lacking proper evidence because he holds himself to a high journalistic standard.

so sort of makes it doubly strange to me then that he would just say something like 'i am hearing...'. thats not very journalistic imo. although that line about 'forcing the Indians to pay up' was a rather clever turn of phrase, for me i dont see his articles about FI and its owners as objective. i feel like they are personal somehow but thats just how i read it though.

anyways how strange is it for F1 teams to try to renegotiate terms with their suppliers? i would suspect its a fairly common occurrence and all teams probably struggle with cash flow management.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 21:08 (Ref:3373338)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
If nothing else Mallya's got balls....he's just bought a real expensive horse..http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/31129840.cms

Not bad when your airline owes $Billion..
Old 1 Mar 2014, 01:24 (Ref:3373428)   #13
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
If nothing else Mallya's got balls....he's just bought a real expensive horse..http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/31129840.cms

Not bad when your airline owes $Billion..
They all do!
Old 1 Mar 2014, 01:28 (Ref:3373429)   #14
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
im a big fan because his posts are well researched and he often states that he refuses to speculate on things while lacking proper evidence because he holds himself to a high journalistic standard.

so sort of makes it doubly strange to me then that he would just say something like 'i am hearing...'. thats not very journalistic imo. although that line about 'forcing the Indians to pay up' was a rather clever turn of phrase, for me i dont see his articles about FI and its owners as objective. i feel like they are personal somehow but thats just how i read it though.

anyways how strange is it for F1 teams to try to renegotiate terms with their suppliers? i would suspect its a fairly common occurrence and all teams probably struggle with cash flow management.
Saward certainly seems to spend a disproportionate amount of his time crusading against VJ and FI.
Perhaps if he spent more time on his Caterham duties ...
Old 1 Mar 2014, 02:34 (Ref:3373442)   #15
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Saward certainly seems to spend a disproportionate amount of his time crusading against VJ and FI.
And don't forget his dislike of all things related to the Indian GP, even visiting India, and most things Indian.
But I hear Mr Saward is a 'guest' on these forums, so.., hey there Joe!
Old 1 Mar 2014, 03:58 (Ref:3373455)   #16
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Have to respectfully disagree on your first thought.

What he does, although this has thankfully lessened of late, is spend an unreal amount of time defending himself from the unreasonable, utterly fanatical and uneducated, gooses, that purport to to be Indian F1 fans.

And your second.
Perhaps, if you paid attention, you'd see that as far as his blog goes there seems to have been a distinct cooling in his Caterham love affair.
I think it's fair to say he has taken the point of many posters who have castigated him over a long period of time for hiding behind his 'blog rules' in the manner he did for not having the fortitude to announce his directorship out front for all to see.

I like his stuff, but like all of us he has flaws.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 09:12 (Ref:3373521)   #17
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd1 View Post

I like his stuff, but like all of us he has flaws.
Me too. I occasionally pipe up if there's something I think I can add.

Yes, he is an established, respected Formula One journalist. One of the few prepared to take on the Bernie/CVC debacle and call for a complete rethink of Formula One's business model.

However his constant drip, drip, drip vendetta against Force India is just wearisome. I'm sure VJ must have upset him at some point but he really does himself no favours being so prejudiced against a team that has consistently out performed on a resources/results ratio and continues to hire some of the best young talent on the grid.

All teams have cash flow problems from time to time. There's only two sources of income, either from Bernie or from sponsors/owners. It's not as if they sell cars or anything.

If someone keeps banging on and on about the demise of a team eventually they might be proved right. Many have come and gone over the years I've been watching.

At that point Saward can dance on the grave. I for one won't be cheering him on.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 09:49 (Ref:3374307)   #18
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I thought it was only me that had that perception. It seems that he thinks he is the god of scribes and no one else should have an opinion or dare suggest that he might be wrong.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 04:02 (Ref:3391807)   #19
EastonNeston
Veteran

The latest by joe Saward on the situation
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/...dia-situation/

It seems the financial and legal issues for both Sahara and Mallaya are getting significantly worse, with very obvious implications for the F1 team.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 04:05 (Ref:3391809)   #20
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NVM bottom post explains.

Last edited by FordCosworthPanoz; 13 Apr 2014 at 04:19.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 04:12 (Ref:3391812)   #21
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It seems that he thinks he is the god of scribes and no one else should have an opinion or dare suggest that he might be wrong.
I have that opinion when it comes to most F1 'journalists' (aka people who know somebody who know somebody in the paddock and keep their 'job' because of connections) but Joe is especially untrustworthy when it comes to anything involving the Force India or Caterham teams.

However despite that Saward is definitely one of the best out there, although that isn't saying much when most of his English-Language competitors would make TMZ cringe in disgust. Just ignore everything he says about Force India and Caterham and you're set. He's certainly one of the more ballsy and isn't just Bernie's personal carrier pigeon like most who see everything in the sport through rose-tinted glasses.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 08:48 (Ref:3391864)   #22
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How come every time the finances of Force India are mentioned
one name appears on the article- Joe Saward ?

Personal reasons with the management ?
Old 13 Apr 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3391885)   #23
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrut View Post
How come every time the finances of Force India are mentioned
one name appears on the article- Joe Saward ?

Personal reasons with the management ?
I suspect but I cannot be sure it was to do with Caterham when they were starting up and both used an Italian wind tunnel resulting in a court case over bits being used from the others car.

Joe Saward is still a director of the Caterham road cars to the best of my knowledge. If anybody has more up to date information please post.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 10:39 (Ref:3391890)   #24
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Joe Saward is still a director of the Caterham road cars to the best of my knowledge. If anybody has more up to date information please post.
Correct. Mr Saward is currently a Non-executive director of Caterham Cars Group Ltd. Nothing to do with the F1 team. A Non-executive director is quite different to being on the board of directors - as some have suggested he is.

That is correct isn't it Mr Saward?
Old 13 Apr 2014, 11:30 (Ref:3391911)   #25
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've just read Joe Sawards blog (and admit, I'm a fan and read it most days). OK, so he's reporting some negative facts about Roy Sahara (who apparently owns almost half of the Force India Team), but from what I can see, they are facts, and because of this information, things don't look good for the future of this team without some additional (outside) investment.
As I see it, what Joe Saward is reporting is no different to what was reported last year regarding the Lotus F1 Team being unable to pay suppliers or employees.
If he was making up stories to discredit Force India, then I'd accept the 'Witch Hunt' claims, but I don't think that he is.