Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2014, 22:42 (Ref:3381288)   #26
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I think they sound fine, not because of the sound they actually make, but because you can practically hear the technology involved.

The reason they are quiet is because a vast amount of the energy produced is converted in to motion. What is it? 30% less fuel to do the same distance at the same (or nearly the same) speed? That is a great technical achievement.

That's what I hear. The technology, not the noise.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 00:35 (Ref:3381316)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I like them. The sound of those old V8s was nothing special, just loud. These sound alright, no Merlin, but hey the world is a different place. I'll get my kicks from that elsewhere.

What I particularly like is the variation to the noises. You can hear what is going on, on power, turbo, the more you listen the more you can hear things. An advantage of being a quieter is you can also hear more of the rest of the car. The harshness, lock ups, it is a sound for the thinking man.
So much this.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 01:36 (Ref:3381326)   #28
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I like them. The sound of those old V8s was nothing special, just loud. These sound alright, no Merlin, but hey the world is a different place. I'll get my kicks from that elsewhere.

What I particularly like is the variation to the noises. You can hear what is going on, on power, turbo, the more you listen the more you can hear things. An advantage of being a quieter is you can also hear more of the rest of the car. The harshness, lock ups, it is a sound for the thinking man.
Great post Adam...
Old 18 Mar 2014, 01:48 (Ref:3381328)   #29
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I attend the GP On the Saturday.

I liked the sound and it is not as though I prefer the sound of a turbo over a normally aspirated engine. I'll take each different engine on their merits.

But they are quieter than in the past and seemed quieter than the other classed of cars running at the GP. And some people are upset by this.

But the circuit commentary can now be heard, you can talk to your mated and I even managed to order a drink without screaming my lungs outs. All good things.

What I did notice when watching the race on TV is that when Bottas hit the wall you could hear there was some wrong with the car (ie the wheel was damaged). With last years engine you would never have heard it.

Thumbs up from me.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 05:49 (Ref:3381356)   #30
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we're talking just the sound, then I love it! So good that you can 'hear the racing' again.

In saying that, yes the sound needs a to increase a little. Not much, but just enough for the trackside fans. I want the exhaust note to increase, but not drown out the induction noise that we can currently hear. Is that even possible?
Old 18 Mar 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3381372)   #31
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ron Walker complained to Bernie saying that they didn't get what they paid for as they were so quiet.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns27553.html

Personally what a lot of tosh. It was a great race - noise or no noise.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 08:22 (Ref:3381378)   #32
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember when the turbos first got banned, the reporters for Autosport and other publications were writing about the mind-numbing din of the NA engines. Now we've gone back the other way.

When the Audi diesel first showed up in IMSA, there was a lot of hand wringing about its lack of noise. I got to see it at Portland International Raceway. A place that, like Monza, has neighbor troubles because of noise. I'm not an Audi fan, but I thought the Audi was a great innovation. A very high-performance vehicle, but it did it's thing without a lot of screaming. You could hear the tires, and also the gearbox. I like listening to gearboxes. To me, they are a lot more interesting to listen to than engines, because their noises give you a good idea of how much torque is going through them at the time. When the car hits a bump or the driver backs off a little, it is very clear in the gearbox noise. Engine noise is less precise about that.

The Audi was also a vision of what the future of auto racing could be. We gearheads can enjoy the racing and not get run out of town on a rail by the neighbors.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 09:48 (Ref:3381407)   #33
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP View Post
Ron Walker complained to Bernie saying that they didn't get what they paid for as they were so quiet.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns27553.html

Personally what a lot of tosh. It was a great race - noise or no noise.
And the threat of legal action.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking...317-34wmb.html
Old 18 Mar 2014, 11:25 (Ref:3381431)   #34
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The V8's sounded ok, although you couldn't take being too close to them for long without some sort of ear protection. DTM V8 is about as loud as I can stand for any period of time. But as you say - they're not a patch on a Merlin

Quote:
Agreed - you can hear what the entire car is up to now which is good. I wouldn't say no to a bit of turbo chatter though
Old 18 Mar 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3381452)   #35
Crazy_Pigal
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Crazy_Pigal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems the majority of posts here are positive about the new sound & I couldn't agree more, I really like the fact that each engine has it's own sound, I doubt that anyone could tell the difference between a Merc & Ferrari V8, but the turbos have all sorts of subtle sounds going on I'm all for that. Louder is not better!! It really irritates me when Bernie starts talking these days, F1 is so much better that that, Tamara Ecclestone, please put your Dad in a home!

Something I was dissappointed by was the lack of on screen graphics, I was looking forward to seeing what these engines revved to for starters.... 12,000..... 13,000 I've still got no idea (sure they won't use 15,000 as the power will tail off due to 100kg/hr limit). Also surely the FIA now has the data to show (on their on board shots) ERS power, Fuel left, fuel flow, DRS active, etc. Here's hoping to see this soon, last year the FIA had most of it already so what's the problem now?
Old 18 Mar 2014, 13:37 (Ref:3381471)   #36
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Pigal View Post
It seems the majority of posts here are positive about the new sound & I couldn't agree more, I really like the fact that each engine has it's own sound, I doubt that anyone could tell the difference between a Merc & Ferrari V8, but the turbos have all sorts of subtle sounds going on I'm all for that. Louder is not better!! It really irritates me when Bernie starts talking these days, F1 is so much better that that, Tamara Ecclestone, please put your Dad in a home!

Something I was dissappointed by was the lack of on screen graphics, I was looking forward to seeing what these engines revved to for starters.... 12,000..... 13,000 I've still got no idea (sure they won't use 15,000 as the power will tail off due to 100kg/hr limit). Also surely the FIA now has the data to show (on their on board shots) ERS power, Fuel left, fuel flow, DRS active, etc. Here's hoping to see this soon, last year the FIA had most of it already so what's the problem now?
I didn't notice the lack of graphics, but now you mention it they should really be displaying all sorts of information - energy stored, recovery rate, usage rate, fuel flow etc etc. That would be 'quite interesting'.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 13:41 (Ref:3381472)   #37
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Its a beautiful sound. Its the sound of efficiency. As an engineer, its music to my ears.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3381502)   #38
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After looking through this thread all I can do is shake my head in disbelief.
It was absolutely atrocious.

I won't be watching this crap any more, apparently.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 15:17 (Ref:3381507)   #39
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
After looking through this thread all I can do is shake my head in disbelief.
It was absolutely atrocious.

I won't be watching this crap any more, apparently.
It is a big change I have to agree... I would like to hear a compromise between what we had and what we've got, which I am not sure is possible?

The turbo charged cars of the 80's sounded really fantastic to my ears, but its a subjective argument I suppose..

This could become more of a marketing issue for F1 than anything else, as usual Formula1 does a rather poor job in this area..
Old 18 Mar 2014, 15:24 (Ref:3381508)   #40
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
Old 18 Mar 2014, 15:34 (Ref:3381514)   #41
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Aint that the truth..
Old 18 Mar 2014, 16:37 (Ref:3381529)   #42
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
What I have noticed, and this may sound a little odd ? Is that any footage shot with a cell phone sounds better to me than the world feed....
Old 18 Mar 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3381534)   #43
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
What I have noticed, and this may sound a little odd ? Is that any footage shot with a cell phone sounds better to me than the world feed....
No I agree! When I saw clips from testing I thought they sounded great but whatching the GP I didn't like the sound nearly as much.

I don't dislike it but there's something missing, whatching the GP I got a strange feeling that I wasn't whatching F1.. Don't really know why.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 16:58 (Ref:3381538)   #44
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
No I agree! When I saw clips from testing I thought they sounded great but whatching the GP I didn't like the sound nearly as much.

I don't dislike it but there's something missing, whatching the GP I got a strange feeling that I wasn't whatching F1.. Don't really know why.
Well thank you I am not going completely bonkers then
Old 18 Mar 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3381547)   #45
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Walker
“We are not going to have our customer base destroyed,” Walker said in 2011. “The sound is part of the brand. It must be 18,000 revs and it must sound the same.”
Y'know, those V8s didn't sound anything like the old aero engines in the original Silver Arrows. And because of that I'll never... yadda yadda.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3381582)   #46
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Need flames out the rear and turbo chatter and Ill be a lot happier...
Old 18 Mar 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3381598)   #47
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, turbo engines can sound amazing. (Yes I know it's a 5 cylinder engine, and yes I know modern day turbo engines don't sound like this.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RkCx9yln4g#t=206
Old 19 Mar 2014, 04:41 (Ref:3381768)   #48
Prospeked
Rookie

Prospeked should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engines simply are not loud enough. I was at the race and spent one of the Friday sessions in the Paddock behind the pits. When the cars were on track you honestly could not hear them going down the main straight!

For the other sessions I was around the northern end of the circuit with friends. Most of these friends are just casual fans and were there for the spectacle and the festival atmosphere (Which will be a majority of track visitors). The main comment was "is that it? They are not very loud". This was compounded by the fact all the support races and the demos using older F1 cars sounded so much better.

For myself who is a hardcore fan the sound of the engine would not stop me going to a race or watching it on TV but for a casual fan there is no "Wow" factor like there was. These are no engine noises echoing off the buildings around the track.

This will be a major issue for track side ticket sales and as ticket sales go a long way to paying for the hosting fees this will have flow on effects and anyone saying otherwise has their heads in the sand.

F1 needs be a spectacle and event that even non car people get excited about and the sound of it all was a massive part of that.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 09:34 (Ref:3381822)   #49
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospeked View Post
This will be a major issue for track side ticket sales and as ticket sales go a long way to paying for the hosting fees this will have flow on effects and anyone saying otherwise has their heads in the sand.
Ticket sales pay for the race, you're kidding right, it cost the Victorian taxpayers $82 million last year!
Old 20 Mar 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3382268)   #50
Hesketh
Racer

Hesketh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They sound tamed. As much as I appreciate the menacing whisper of LMP1 hybrid prototypes, which I see as wonderfully racy laboratories, I need F1 cars to SCREAM and rattle.
2014 sound is not good, the sport itself is at great risk.