Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who do you vote as the team of the Bahrain Grand Prix?
Mercedes 45 71.43%
Red Bull Racing-Renault 0 0%
Williams-Mercedes 0 0%
Force India-Mercedes 17 26.98%
Ferrari 0 0%
McLaren-Mercedes 0 0%
STR-Renault 0 0%
Sauber-Ferrari 0 0%
Lotus-Renault 0 0%
Caterham-Renault 0 0%
Marussia-Ferrari 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7 Apr 2014, 15:36 (Ref:3389793)   #26
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Too much effort on changing the rules to suit the Ferrari. Not enough on changing the Ferrari to suit the rules.
Splendid!!! Comment of the day!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3389804)   #27
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Too much effort on changing the rules to suit the Ferrari. Not enough on changing the Ferrari to suit the rules.
Yes - sadly, so true as it seems.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 16:55 (Ref:3389819)   #28
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was torn between Merc and FI, so went with FI. Two drivers who appear to have the fire in their bellies, and clearly a much better car than in previous years. Looks like it's all coming together for them.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 19:29 (Ref:3389889)   #29
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Obviously it should be Mercedes, but I'll give it to Force India - great stuff.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 02:07 (Ref:3390007)   #30
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Obviously it should be Mercedes, but I'll give it to Force India - great stuff.
Yeah ! But I'll stick to the lady.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 06:05 (Ref:3390039)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Mercedes, 2 secs a lap clear, nobody else even pitched at the GP!
Old 8 Apr 2014, 12:46 (Ref:3390189)   #32
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Merc. 1 & 2 in Quali, 1 & 2 in the race, nearing perfection.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3390201)   #33
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I'll stick to the lady.
You've always given me such a different impression.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 17:26 (Ref:3390282)   #34
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
You've always given me such a different impression.
Well, there are ladies and ladies...
Old 9 Apr 2014, 03:13 (Ref:3390393)   #35
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is an explanation why the Mercs are so strong....and will continue to be the team of the races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBB2F6IutQ
Old 9 Apr 2014, 03:32 (Ref:3390396)   #36
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Here is an explanation why the Mercs are so strong....and will continue to be the team of the races.

That should also translate into similar advantages for McLaren and Force India and Williams, but it hasn't...? Or has it?
If it has, Mercedes are still making much more out of it than the three customers...
Old 9 Apr 2014, 07:26 (Ref:3390429)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not a great surprise though for a works team to be better out of the box than customers..... That's really how I'd expect it to be.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 15:38 (Ref:3390567)   #38
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was told McLaren, Williams and FI are not running the turbo and compressor front and back like the Mercs. Correct me if I am wrong....it's just the word on the street.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3390629)   #39
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I was told McLaren, Williams and FI are not running the turbo and compressor front and back like the Mercs. Correct me if I am wrong....it's just the word on the street.
There are two power unit configurations?

Seriously?
Old 9 Apr 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3390633)   #40
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Very interesting.. Thank you for the link !
Old 10 Apr 2014, 00:54 (Ref:3390680)   #41
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Thanks for that!

Great thinking, very clever bit of engineering! Someone clearly designed a whole car and not just a PU!

Very handy too that the advantage is protected by the power unit freeze!
Wonder who came up with that idea?

Does this mean that the next three championships are a foregone conclusion?
Old 10 Apr 2014, 06:43 (Ref:3390708)   #42
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Hell, why buck the trend.......?.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 12:35 (Ref:3390773)   #43
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Something doesn't quite make ense in that video (probalby just me). Towards the end, MB talks about moving the very hot compressor to the front of the car. I always thought it was the turbine that was hot, being in the exhaust flow. Admittedly compressing air does create heat, but not as much as the heat as in the turbine. The statement also contradicts the original premise that moving the compressor to the front means less heat and less intercooler needs.

Clearly, with the compressor at the front, they do have lots more scope for a compact rear end, which is what he was getting at. It just the statement 'very hot compressor' that seems odd.

Or have I completely misunderstood (it has happened before)?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3390797)   #44
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
I believe....with the knowledge of this configuration at hand....Honda will have some sort of advantage when they enter the field.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 14:56 (Ref:3390806)   #45
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Here something some left field.

Given the shaft from turbine to compressor runs through the engine, I wonder if there is anything to be gained from being able to use that rotational energy, or perhaps use oil flow to maintain shaft rotation to keep the turbo up to speed. (Or perhaps it doesn't actually run through the oil path). One could imagine being able to use the oil flow (if fast enough - I presume the shaft is rotating at extremely high RPM) past the shaft to maintain its velocity. Almost like another turbine powered by the oil flow.

Hmm, having thought about it whilst writing, I feel the oil flow, even if jetted through a small orifice at high pressure, wouldn't be fast enough.

Back to the drawing board.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 08:05 (Ref:3390994)   #46
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Something doesn't quite make ense in that video (probalby just me). Towards the end, MB talks about moving the very hot compressor to the front of the car. I always thought it was the turbine that was hot, being in the exhaust flow. Admittedly compressing air does create heat, but not as much as the heat as in the turbine. The statement also contradicts the original premise that moving the compressor to the front means less heat and less intercooler needs.

Clearly, with the compressor at the front, they do have lots more scope for a compact rear end, which is what he was getting at. It just the statement 'very hot compressor' that seems odd.

Or have I completely misunderstood (it has happened before)?
I agree with what you're saying regarding the heat, but the principle still makes sense - in fact, it makes more sense having the hot bit at the back, separated from the part you want to keep cool, in the inlet tract, at the front.

Quote:
Here something some left field.

Given the shaft from turbine to compressor runs through the engine, I wonder if there is anything to be gained from being able to use that rotational energy, or perhaps use oil flow to maintain shaft rotation to keep the turbo up to speed. (Or perhaps it doesn't actually run through the oil path). One could imagine being able to use the oil flow (if fast enough - I presume the shaft is rotating at extremely high RPM) past the shaft to maintain its velocity. Almost like another turbine powered by the oil flow.

Hmm, having thought about it whilst writing, I feel the oil flow, even if jetted through a small orifice at high pressure, wouldn't be fast enough.

Back to the drawing board.
I'm sure it will be in the 'V' of the engine and be 'dry' from lubrication, other than lubricating the bearings of the shaft. I don't see any advantage to immersing it in the block, or trying to spin it up with oil pressure. That is already doing a very important job and you'd want to keep as little additional heat from the oil as possible while trying to moderate core engine temperatures.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 08:38 (Ref:3391000)   #47
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
I agree with what you're saying regarding the heat, but the principle still makes sense - in fact, it makes more sense having the hot bit at the back, separated from the part you want to keep cool, in the inlet tract, at the front.

I'm sure it will be in the 'V' of the engine and be 'dry' from lubrication, other than lubricating the bearings of the shaft. I don't see any advantage to immersing it in the block, or trying to spin it up with oil pressure. That is already doing a very important job and you'd want to keep as little additional heat from the oil as possible while trying to moderate core engine temperatures.
I agree the principle is fine (very good in fact!), it's just the video at that point appears to be incorrect.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 02:57 (Ref:3393648)   #48
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Hmmm....I don't like the last sentence in this article. Here we go....boring and predictable?

http://www.f1reader.com/news/the-mer...on-ahead-95986
Old 17 Apr 2014, 03:30 (Ref:3393660)   #49
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Hmmm....I don't like the last sentence in this article. Here we go....boring and predictable?

http://www.f1reader.com/news/the-mer...on-ahead-95986
I wonder if this weight advantage of relocating the turbo was the reason that the powers that be got all precious about splitting up the battery packs?