Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Apr 2014, 14:09 (Ref:3393900)   #1
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
BE's new plan - Historic Formula One

Not sue if you might want this in the Historic Forum mods!

Bernie Ecclestone is planning to launch a 'masters' series for former F1 cars and drivers.

"We have talked about it and it is something we ought to do," Ecclestone told the Wall Street Journal.
"Many of these old drivers are still absolutely good enough."
Ecclestone said that, unlike the defunct single-make GP Masters series, his idea would be to form a grid of real F1 cars.

http://www.motorsport.com/#!/f1/news...asters-series/

Thoughts?
Old 17 Apr 2014, 15:23 (Ref:3393945)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not historic. Just crap.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 15:25 (Ref:3393946)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I'd guess it's a smokescreen for something else. Must be about to rescind the fuel flow rule...
Old 17 Apr 2014, 15:58 (Ref:3393961)   #4
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
blah blah Bernie!
Old 17 Apr 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3393967)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Watched/listened to the historic F1 cars at spa classic 6 hours last year, it was brilliant and loved it
Old 17 Apr 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3393981)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
blah blah Bernie!
I couldn't agree more, time to retire Echolstone ..
Old 17 Apr 2014, 16:35 (Ref:3393982)   #7
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Retirement is long overdue...
Old 17 Apr 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3394002)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
+ another one....

What a load of manure!

We already have Historic F1, an FIA Championship run by Masters Historic Racing. How many ex F1 drivers in the 31 cars at Barcelona two weeks ago? None.

I presume BE is looking at using redundant 'modern' V10 cars, currently gathering dust somewhere.....

I despair.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3394100)   #9
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Didn't Tom Wheatcroft have a similar idea in the past?With much less complicated cars if memory serves.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3394108)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Boss Formula?
Old 17 Apr 2014, 21:40 (Ref:3394113)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I read an anecdote posted here I think - or maybe it was in some article from a magazine - that in a brief moment of quiet, Eccelstone reflected he ruined the essence of the sport - to paraphrase his remark.

He wasn't apologetic, it was just a rare moment of sad resignation before his ratrace mentality resumed apace.

Maybe this is some crude and cryptic way of making amends on that.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3394121)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
A dog & pony show to take your mind off F1..
Old 17 Apr 2014, 21:54 (Ref:3394123)   #13
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
+ another one....

What a load of manure!

We already have Historic F1, an FIA Championship run by Masters Historic Racing. How many ex F1 drivers in the 31 cars at Barcelona two weeks ago? None.

and he might even have owned some of them.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 00:10 (Ref:3394157)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Boreme Ecclestone.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 05:13 (Ref:3394206)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
# Car teams third car driver has to be 45+
Old 18 Apr 2014, 06:29 (Ref:3394217)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
# Car teams third car driver has to be 45+
Make it over 65 and I'll update my CV....

Yes, wolfhound, I forgot that aspect! I've heard on occasions some of the Historic F1s referred to as 'belonging to BE' or 'ex BE'!

There is also first season of 'Masters HGP' in North America / Canada this year. 4 rounds, first at the Canadian GP in June. No reports of any previous stars in any of the cars.....

Old 18 Apr 2014, 06:56 (Ref:3394226)   #17
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
It's an interesting idea but it WOULD COST A FORTUNE! (And in my opinion, for that reason, would never happen).
Like any Historic series, to run the original cars, in the original way and at the original speeds it will cost exactly the same to do as it did originally...
Old 18 Apr 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3394257)   #18
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
Let the historic f1 cars race as they do now, open paddock for the public to get really close to the cars. None of that is possible with mr E. In control.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 18:03 (Ref:3396306)   #19
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GP Masters was ****ing crap, this is a crap idea.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3396360)   #20
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
There is no detail about any specific proposal. It is just another Bernie flying pie in the sky to put drones into the air around his own corporate problems....

His trial started in Germany this week...
Old 21 Apr 2014, 19:38 (Ref:3396371)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
There is no detail about any specific proposal. It is just another Bernie flying pie in the sky to put drones into the air around his own corporate problems....
it probably is something like that.

lots of people really hate BE these days and while he probably deserves every bit of that anger i also get the sense that dismissing his ideas is becoming a little too fashionable.

granted this idea would cost a fortune and likely to never happen but i still think its an amazing concept and lets say it goes ahead in a limited only in Europe type way as a pre show to the main event, then i for one would try to save my money so that i could attend.

really im in favour of any suggestions aimed at adding more value for those in attendance.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 03:42 (Ref:3396490)   #22
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
it probably is something like that.

lots of people really hate BE these days and while he probably deserves every bit of that anger i also get the sense that dismissing his ideas is becoming a little too fashionable.

granted this idea would cost a fortune and likely to never happen but i still think its an amazing concept and lets say it goes ahead in a limited only in Europe type way as a pre show to the main event, then i for one would try to save my money so that i could attend.

really im in favour of any suggestions aimed at adding more value for those in attendance.
I actually liked the concept of the Masters GP concept and was disappointed it didn't go further but the reality about Bernie's pie in the sky scheme is what is he intending to do?
Run his personal collection with a bunch of former GP drivers as a support categories for GP's, say in Europe alone.
He would have to find how many? 16? Are people really interested in paying to watch Emerson F, Mansell, Heidfeld, Brundle, Wurz, and others scoot around at 90% of pure potential?

Find the sponsorship if he is using his own collection, or contract the teams if he is using their old cars... Some of the drivers may relish the thought of running a McLaren or an ex Schumi Ferrari but does anyone want to run an old Minardi, or Simtek, or Onyx or Dallara?
Running older engines that are depending on out of production parts is not a great idea either.

So maybe he was floating ideas about teams running their 2012-2013 cars to get the noise back to excite the fans, or just winding up the current teams and discontent promoters.....

Last edited by Teretonga; 22 Apr 2014 at 03:48.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 09:03 (Ref:3396566)   #23
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I dont understand the negativity towards this idea. As part of the support package at the F1 weekend, a sprint race of around 30 mins using old F1 cars would be great to watch, whether they are driven by ex-F1 pros or someone else. Heck, I would even be happy to see demonstration laps by some of the old machinery.

However, we need to know more details before getting too excited, or bagging the idea altogether.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 10:38 (Ref:3396605)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We used to have the Yeoman Credit Historic Formula 1 races at the British GP years ago. Bernie stopped it. If you want historic racing then go to an historic event. There's loads around. And you get to see all these cars being driven as well as the ex F1 drivers would drive them.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 11:31 (Ref:3396638)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The original press piece has a paragraph suggesting that BE would have the cars powered by 'deafening V10s', which suggests the cars could only be a few years old, so certainly not 'Historic'.

Maybe that term was a reference to the potential drivers.....