Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 12 Jan 2007, 18:54 (Ref:1813512)   #26
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
With respect to the original question about the MX5, I would consider selling the car and getting something that would be more competitive for the same money. Fitting all sorts of aftermarket products will more often than not see you ounted into a class where you will be uncompetitive. OK you still get the buzz from taking part in a great sport, your car will be a talking point in the paddock, but will you be satisfied?

I take your point entirely, but my desire is to compete with the car I have, as opposed to buying a car with the specific intent on competing (if that makes sense). Apart from anything else, for the first couple of years the venues will be unfamiliar and therefor I'll be uncompetitive anyway. After a couple of years, I may well have had my fill, or it'll be then to buy a more competitive car if the bug has really bitten.

The HSA with their Aldon Automotive championship, have introduced a class for MX5's (up to 2000cc of course ) so the easiest thing for me to do would be to rag the supercharger etc back off, but I've just no desire to do that.

The Buggatti OC thing is interesting, but looking at their website, it seems theur championship is confined just to Prescott, and there seems to be only a few events, which seem to be major ones at that. Have I got that right?

The ASWMC events are of course a considerable distance for me. I have emailed the Nottingham Sports Car Club and am awaiting reply, and I haven't heard more from the HSA man.

I guess I'm looking for a ratification of the ruling regarding the car having to compete in the original class which seems to contradict the equivalency factor.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 19:19 (Ref:1813526)   #27
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Hold on a cotton pickin' mo. What class do stock Imprezzas and Evos compete in anyway?

Maybe the rule means that the cars 'must remain in the same capacity class as the original car' but obviously for scoring purposes the cars will feature in the class above.

No?

(The rulebook doesn't differentiate between standard forced induction and aftermarket forced induction - the book says induction is free.)
Old 12 Jan 2007, 23:54 (Ref:1813734)   #28
Paul Ranson
Racer

Paul Ranson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To run this MX5 in speed events you have three options.

1. Take the supercharger off.
2. Find a series/event that doesn't run to the MSA defined classes and allows you to move up to 'over 2 litre' without quibbles.
3. Use the fact that there was a manufacturer 'specified option' for a turbo MX5 using the same base engine as yours, and the fact that 'induction is free' even in 'road modified', to run as over 2 litre.

Roadgoing Production does not require additional rollover protection, fancy seatbelts, external cutouts or logbooks. Sports Libre would require proper rollover bars, proper seatbelts, and you cannot compete in over 2 litre Sports Libre without a National A (Open) licence.

Anyway I would be tempted to unbolt the supercharger and run in the HSA Mazda MX5 class, you get to do lots of events at most of the best venues without being totally on your own. Hopefully there will be a few others in similar machinery and that will be really useful.

(Single seaters are so simple...)

Paul
Old 13 Jan 2007, 07:47 (Ref:1813849)   #29
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Thanks Guys.

The HSA still haven't published their 2007 regs, but I noticed that last years results for class A3 Roadgoing Production cars over 2000cc were:

Class Points Name Car Cc Overall Pos
A3 39 Roy Standley Mitsubishi Lancer EVO5 RS 1997 t 12
21 Mark Laws BMW Mini 1598 (S) 28
18 Martin Wadsworth Subaru STi RA 1997 (t) 35

I'd assumed the HSA ran to the Blue Book. Perhaps I'm worrying for nought. Hope so.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1813941)   #30
Paul Ranson
Racer

Paul Ranson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those are all standard models.

Paul
Old 13 Jan 2007, 17:40 (Ref:1814393)   #31
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ranson
Those are all standard models.

Paul
They're in the capacity class above their actual capacity, though.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 09:54 (Ref:1814730)   #32
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
It's panto time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebeegeetee
They're in the capacity class above their actual capacity, though.
Oh no they are not! Remember the Forced Induction Equivalency must be applied where applicable to provide the 'true' capacity of the engine!

Old 15 Jan 2007, 01:02 (Ref:1815376)   #33
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Oh no they are not! Remember the Forced Induction Equivalency must be applied where applicable to provide the 'true' capacity of the engine!

Yes, I see. Although they're all under 2 litre, as they originally had forced induction their original class would have been over 2 litre.

ANYWAY, we have a solution. Nottingham Sports Car Club and the Midland Speed Championship run championships with classes that differ slightly from MSA regs. Martin Pickles of Notts has emailed me to say he's happy for me to run in class 1c, and I've just sent an email to Midland Speed champs to see if they'll do likewise.

Both of these championships run a true standard class it seems. The MSA/HSA regs allow cars like this Lotus Elise in the production class
http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/aldon.asp (scroll down to the Elise for sale piece. This car has the type of roll-over bar I'd like to run, must get in touch with the guy). Under Notts regs I reckon it would run in their Roadgoing Production class for Road Modified cars which conform to L11, which is just what I am looking for.

Fingers crossed that I am reading all this correctly, thanks for your help guys and hope I bump into you at the events sometime.

I'll be the one running a black MX5 in the class with all the Evos and Imprezzas etc.