Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 21 Jan 2007, 12:40 (Ref:1820886)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cold tyres.

Warm tyres give more grip than cold tyres. However what opportunity is their to warm tyres on a Sprint or Hillclimb? Do sprinters chose tyres that work better cold or does everyone have tyre warmers(!). Or are there burn offs as in drag racing?

What is the form in Sprinting and Hill Climbing?

And then there is brake temperatures.

Is the cold tyre thing part of the fun?
Old 21 Jan 2007, 13:13 (Ref:1820912)   #2
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Compound Interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Warm tyres give more grip than cold tyres. However what opportunity is their to warm tyres on a Sprint or Hillclimb? Do sprinters chose tyres that work better cold or does everyone have tyre warmers(!). Or are there burn offs as in drag racing?

Let me deal with this list of questions in order:

1. MOST venues allow tyre warming (i.e. spinning up the rears and then hard braking to put some heat into the front tyres and the brake pads) although where for instance the start for a sprint is actually on the race track then tyre warming is NOT allowed. There is always a designated area in which you can warm up the tyres; doing so outside of this area is frowned upon.
2. BMTR provide a full range of compounds for the Speed Event competitors.
3. Tyre Warmers are ILLEGAL.
4. Cold Tyres are not part of the fun, they are part of the challenge!
5. The application of tyre softening chemicals does occur but can reduce the life of said tyres.

Watching one of the big V8 single seaters warming up the tyres is certainly a crowd pleaser, although I am not quiet sure why they need to do it so many times. After all once they have spun up and put some heat into the rubber they then have to be lined up on the start and await the green light. During this time the tyres cool down at a rapid rate.

Old 21 Jan 2007, 15:56 (Ref:1820990)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thank you.

Although challenge and fun are quite often interchangeable. The former producing the later
Old 21 Jan 2007, 20:58 (Ref:1821203)   #4
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
5. The application of tyre softening chemicals does occur but can reduce the life of said tyres.

I thought the use of chemical tyre softeners was prohibited, or is that overridden somewhere else?

BTW Agree wholeheartedly that cold tyres are a challenge - the second lap of a 2-lapper is always more fun.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 00:31 (Ref:1821353)   #5
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore

q1. Driven Wheels, About 15 yards before the start. Other wheels, the first corner

q2. Tyre Warmers are banned - a very soft compound with low melt point is used instead.

q3. sort of.

q4. yes, traction is for wusses.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 00:35 (Ref:1821357)   #6
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
BTW - I also thought compound softening adgent were banned. Can anybody shed light from the hallowed tome of Blue as to what is legal and what ain't?
Old 22 Jan 2007, 09:31 (Ref:1821541)   #7
Hitech
Rookie

England
UK, South Staffordshire
Hitech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I am aware tyre softener in speed events are allowed, but are of very dubious advantage. One of the front running single seater drivers in hillclimbing used it last year and had some phenominal start times around 1.6 seconds for the first 64ft, but the next few corners were 'interesting' until it had worn off, so it was swings and roundabouts really. And as has been said it will shorten the tyres useable life.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1821593)   #8
DaveK
Racer

England
Whitchurch
DaveK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitech
As far as I am aware tyre softener in speed events are allowed, but are of very dubious advantage. One of the front running single seater drivers in hillclimbing used it last year and had some phenominal start times around 1.6 seconds for the first 64ft, but the next few corners were 'interesting' until it had worn off, so it was swings and roundabouts really. And as has been said it will shorten the tyres useable life.

Tyre softener was banned last year in the blue book pg68 common regs for competitors, article e12.9.5 'unless permitted under sporting regs the use of chemical tyre softners is not permitted'

It was used in 2005 on a certain car, but the near 70% rear weight distribution/ and start technique also helped.

As far as i'm aware non of the top10 used it last year.

Dave
Old 22 Jan 2007, 12:58 (Ref:1821669)   #9
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cleaning the tyres on the driven wheels with a practice start in the so call tyre warming area is worthwhile especially at muddy venues but I don't believe that the tyres really get that warm.

The top surface will get warm because of the friction etc but not to the extent that you'd think. Getting the air inside hot is what you need and that doesn't happen staight away.

And if tyre warming really worked god help you at the first corner if the fronts are still cold...

OR - having said all that - ask BMTR about crossply racing tyres - heating up radials quickly is difficult and some of the quick guys run extreme camber just to get the tyres warm. On the other hand crossplies - which will be ruined by lots of camber - heat up much more quickly because the way the plies run across the tyres mean that when the car rolls forward the plies rub against each other and generate heat.

Running crossplies sounds retrograde but it's the best kept secret in speed events

Question is - do the top ten guys use them??
Old 22 Jan 2007, 14:23 (Ref:1821732)   #10
DaveK
Racer

England
Whitchurch
DaveK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The top 10 pretty much use radials, i think alot of development has gone into the radials to make them suitable for the current carbon chassis cars. I don't think the charecteristics of the crossply tyres suit the ultra stiff chassis setup of the latest cars

Tyre warming/cleaning is also about getting the driver into a state of mind to prepare for the run as well
Old 22 Jan 2007, 14:33 (Ref:1821741)   #11
kelvinjouhar
Rookie

kelvinjouhar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre Spinning

Spinning the rear tyres obviously warms them a little, but whether it is enough to make any appreciable difference to your start time is debatable. When I drove the Pilbeam MP82, I would always spin them a few times before the start. For the last 2 seasons, driving the Gould GR37, I do not spin them any more ....Why ? Because the clutch is quite fierce, and the engine needs to be kept above 3500 rpm, and when I first drove the car and was spinning the wheels, I occasionally stalled it going to the line, and my co-driver Peter Smith was getting more exercise than he wanted, bringing the battery trolley to re-start the car !!

Anyway, my start times at Gurston are occasionally better than his, and always pretty close and he spins them up a few times - so I don't think it makes too much difference....Having said that, I agree with those drivers who sometimes say that they do it to get psyched up for the run - that is why I used to do it in the Pilbeam....each to his own !!

Regards
Kelvin
Old 22 Jan 2007, 17:32 (Ref:1821879)   #12
Turby
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
Turby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts on tyre warming extend to
a) hope for a red flag and a re-run
b) double enter the car and go second
Old 22 Jan 2007, 17:47 (Ref:1821895)   #13
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turby
My thoughts on tyre warming extend to
a) hope for a red flag and a re-run
b) double enter the car and go second
As for b) I've deprived my Dad of a few runs due to damaged machinery so he now insists that I run second - so the plan worked out quite nicely...
Old 22 Jan 2007, 19:02 (Ref:1822001)   #14
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

Startline marshals will tell you that on a warm, dry day, they get hot enough to make them too hot to touch.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 08:12 (Ref:1822494)   #15
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
Startline marshals will tell you that on a warm, dry day, they get hot enough to make them too hot to touch.
That sounds like a useful advantage as I guess you carry a higher average temperature most of the way to the finish.

Maybe another variable is over-heating the clutch? I see Alan Stanniforth’s book suggests allowing 20-30 minutes for heat dissipation, but perhaps that just applies to organic clutches?

Presumably, those with traction control, telemetry, pyrometers & data from test days have the definitive answer on this? I would love to know it though my clutch, gearbox, diff & driveshafts might disapprove.

I notice that Adam also asked about cold brakes. Since soft pad material gives more friction when cold I’d say it’s not a problem (I use Marina ones myself, but then I don’t ask a lot of them). However, I thought carbon brakes needed to be hot to work properly. Is this true?
Old 23 Jan 2007, 09:36 (Ref:1822551)   #16
ben240z
Racer

ben240z should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Warm the tyres to phsyc the driver up and please the spectators. I use carbon metalic pads and they work straight away even to the point of locking up all 4 wheels braking for the karousel. But then slowing 1000kg of car you would expect the pads to warm up quickly.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 09:54 (Ref:1822569)   #17
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Experiment

A few years back Patrick Wood persuaded the Bugatti Owner's Club to allow him to do some experiments during a Saturday Practice day at one of the hillclimb rounds at Prescott.

Firstly the tyre temperatures were taken in the Paddock.
Next Patrick drove down to the track and got ready for his run. The tyre temperature was again taken.
Patrick then did a series of 'burn-outs' and the tyre temperatures were again recorded.
Patrick and the MP58 were then pulled back down the track and he went through the tyre warming exercise, was lined up and when the green light came on rather than accelerate away the tyre temperatures were again taken.
This was repeated for all of Patrick's practice runs.

The findings of all this were that no matter how many tyre 'burn-outs' you did the tyre temperature would fall away dramatically during the wait for the green light.

After the exercise Patrick tended to do fewer 'burn-outs' however they were more extended. He also liked to get away as soon as the green light came on to maximise the temperature retention in the tyres.

In the final analysis it is what the individual driver believes is the best method that counts, after all it is the psychological advantage that matters.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 10:15 (Ref:1822581)   #18
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
webbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben240z
But then slowing 1000kg of car you would expect the pads to warm up quickly.
Your car weighs 500 kilos Ben...............that makes you err heavy !

He he couldn't resist that one
Old 23 Jan 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1822611)   #19
ben240z
Racer

ben240z should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
get back to your gardening
Old 23 Jan 2007, 13:09 (Ref:1822717)   #20
webbo
Racer

England
Down South
webbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid