Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Apr 2003, 08:23 (Ref:573813)   #26
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Thorstone
No he goes to McLaren,he is Aussie
Bruce McLaren was a New Zealander - Iceland and Canada ain't the same place either.

Webber is quick and the kitty cat car is a dog!

I have to say I'm a huge Webber fan but the guy has only scored two points in his whole career, and those were due to attrition in his very first race. He desperately needs to convert all this effort and support into points or he is going to be a World Champ that never was.

What impresses me about Mark is his work with the engineers - he is always at the track and factory helping to develop the car - a la Schumacher/Ferrari in the late 90s, and Prost in the 80s.

Fisico and Webber at Ferrari would be my ultimate team.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 09:20 (Ref:573858)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The problem with Webber and Fisico at Ferrari is that the brainstrust of the Schumacher success, in Messrs Todt, Brawn and Byrne would all be sitting on a beach somewhere in happy retirement without TGF involved in the team.

Webber in McLaren alongside Coulthard would be a good way to be... DC will use his development skills to make teh car go to a certain point, and Webber's natural ability will push it beyond that boundary to go faster...

It would be the match made in heaven... well for everyone except DC anyway
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Apr 2003, 09:41 (Ref:573864)   #28
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would agree, there's no way Todt, Byrne and Brawn would stay after TGF leaves.

Kimi has a place at Mac for as long as he wants... he's clearly totally suited to Mac's modus operandi and DC is still getting results. Webber to me, would be headed to Williams if Ralf is not retained...

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 19 Apr 2003, 09:53 (Ref:573876)   #29
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think he's as good as people are making him out to be. He's promising, but I think Jaguar have just followed up on their imrpessive late-2002 form with a really good car. Pizzonia has flopped so far, just as Yoong did last year, which makes Mark look better. He was impressive in Brazil, until he crashed. He's still got to put together an imrpessive race drive before I come to rate him as high as Alonso or Wilson.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 09:54 (Ref:573877)   #30
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber just blew them away in the second practice session with 3 real flying laps!!! 3 seconds quicker than pizza boy....GTR, do you think the NSW TAB will give me odds for pizza boy to be gone by race 7?????

considering he had less running than all the drivers, and sat out the entire first session....

that last lap after a few minor tweaks was demon!!
Old 19 Apr 2003, 09:55 (Ref:573881)   #31
MiniMe
Racer

Fair enough observations - although I can't see Ferrari fading into oblivion once those four go. I sincerely doubt that Todt, Byrne and Brawn would all leave at the same time - it seems more likely that one or two of them would stay on for a few more years.

I suggested Ferrari as Mark will be ready to move up at the end of next year, which is when I expect Schumi to quit. I'd predict that DC will stay on for another year to try and win a title while TGF is not racing.

Regardless of where Webber makes his mark (cough) he won't be leaving the kitty cat car team until the end of 2004.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 09:58 (Ref:573885)   #32
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok explain TGF???
Old 19 Apr 2003, 10:04 (Ref:573889)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by williamsf1
ok explain TGF???
That German Fellow.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 10:05 (Ref:573890)   #34
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
He's still got to put together an imrpessive race drive before I come to rate him as high as Alonso or Wilson.
Who? Alonso, Oh yeah.

Hang on, did'nt he crash also (rather stupidly)?

And Wilson, what has he done? (Dont get me wrong I rate him highly but he has'nt done anything special yet).
Old 19 Apr 2003, 10:07 (Ref:573894)   #35
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by williamsf1
ok explain TGF???
It's because in recent history there were 2 MS: Michael Schumacher and Mika Salo, and the confusion was inherent. Since there are only 4 german active drivers, using TGF one can't miss. And all of us are too bussy to actually take 3 seconds to spell a complete name...

Last edited by Red; 19 Apr 2003 at 10:08.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 10:11 (Ref:573899)   #36
Burton
Rookie

Burton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MiniMe would you care to qualify the statement that the Jag is a dog. If it's such a dog it doesn't say a whole lot for the rest of the field does it. So I guess your just another one of those fools who can't see past the peformances of the past. The team is so different to last year (and all the other years) that it's barely worth keeping the name the same. The cars better the Drivers are way better the staff are improved. Give them a break, if the reports are true and the Jag was carrying loads of fuel in qualifying for Brazil then it makes the result even better.

Climbs down off his soapbox.............
Old 19 Apr 2003, 10:11 (Ref:573900)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wrex.

In fairness Justin took Mark to the cleaners in F3000 which I think is where our friend is coming from.

But you are right he hasn't really shone at Minardi, then again who could? He is however proving that he can race and frequently appears ahead of his team mate in the early part of the races before dropping back and further, I believe that prior to Brazil he was the only driver on the track without power steering.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 11:00 (Ref:573929)   #38
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ever since Flavio signed Alonso and Webber (2000?) I've thought that they may be competing against each other in about 2005/2006 for a championship with Renault - looking decidedly possible now. BTW, I think Wilson winning in F3000(I can't remember, but I don't think the cleaners were involved, had as much to do with Webber jumping from F3000 car to F1 car and viceversa all year. Webber's CV has alot more on it than 2001.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 11:05 (Ref:573931)   #39
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well I'm too lazy to dig out the "F3000 champs that amounted to nothing" list at the moment. As I mentioned, I rate both Alonso & Wilson, along with Webber, very high. All are the future of the sport, I have no doubt.

But looking at performances this year, I fail to see where Alonso or Wilson demonstrated anything better than what Mark has so far. All have some good drives, all have made some mistakes (even our current 5 times WDC has).

Looking at the cars they drive, I think Webber has pulled more out of his package than the other two, so far.

Some great drives to come from all three I suspect.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 11:16 (Ref:573935)   #40
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick
BTW, I think Wilson winning in F3000(I can't remember, but I don't think the cleaners were involved, had as much to do with Webber jumping from F3000 car to F1 car and viceversa all year. Webber's CV has alot more on it than 2001.
Right about Webber's CV and as to "the cleaners" wasn't justin the F3000 champion with more wins than any other?

And Wrex. F3000 champs who've failed to shine wouldn't include One Pub would they?

Old 19 Apr 2003, 11:22 (Ref:573938)   #41
MiniMe
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Burton
MiniMe would you care to qualify the statement that the Jag is a dog.
Welcome to the forum, Burton. Don't you have a sense of humour up there on your box?

The kitty cat car is a dog and will remain so until it becomes as reliable as, say, Minardi - and the cat team gives Webber the car he needs to compete in F1.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:00 (Ref:574011)   #42
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What more can Webber do he is 1.2 seconds quicker than his team mate on the grid, A team mate that BMW and Williams rate very highly. I think Webber is making that ordinary car look very good.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:05 (Ref:574019)   #43
MiniMe
Racer

well, we know all the drivers check into this forum just before they go racing - so Mark, me mate - this is the race you get the dog home and score your first points this season!

GO WEBBER!!!!!!!!
Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:10 (Ref:574023)   #44
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
OOOOOOOHHHHHH top job in Q2 Mark now lets get those points

GOWEBBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:14 (Ref:574029)   #45
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...well, i've got nothing to add.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:35 (Ref:574052)   #46
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He did well in qualifying, but he did hint afterwards that he's running light on fuel. That will have pushed him ahead of guys like Kimi and the BARs, assuming taht they are running a normal fuel load, and actually puts him quite close to Pizzonia, who has not shone in the jaguar yet. I can't thin of any driver who's started his career up against such weak team-mates.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 14:36 (Ref:574082)   #47
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Webber is one of the season's revelations so far, IMHO, but Pizzonia isn't a good yardstick yet. We don't know for sure how good or how bad he is. BTW, he was not particularly impressive in F3000 (maybe he can adapt well to F1 after more races, but I am a bit sceptic).

Alonso is doing good lap times, and his team mate in one of the best lap-timers in this business. Certainly he had a brain fade ("Ronspeak" mode) in Brazil, but it is not related with his raw talent or lack of it. Ironicly, Webber's crash was a driving error, although I don't read anything negative in it. As previously pointed out, even "TGF" crashed out in his own.

My two bet so far for "outstanding prospect stars" of the season are Webber and Alonso, but let's see if they confirm these bits of brilliance.

I don't count Kimi there because I think he is already almost a stablished star.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 15:57 (Ref:574140)   #48
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have grown into a webber fan- attrition in the first race or not, to finish first you first must finish. he brings it home, so close to a better finish in Brasil, And he is now the best of the rest in quali at Imola. Hurrah! The Aussie in a Jag nice. The Jag is showing better and webber's skill is shining-he is a star to watch, now if he could keep Kimi off him...And those 2 Hondas nice showing but they'll probably break
Old 19 Apr 2003, 16:23 (Ref:574160)   #49
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing we know about Webber is that he is a lot better than the drivers that should not be in F1.

Webber looks smooth and fast; you can not look smooth if your driving a dog fast....nobody can.
Webber and Jaguar are the two most rapidly rising stars in F1 IMHO
Old 19 Apr 2003, 17:04 (Ref:574179)   #50
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by norman-normal
The only thing we know about Webber is that he is a lot better than the drivers that should not be in F1.

Webber looks smooth and fast; you can not look smooth if your driving a dog fast....nobody can.
Webber and Jaguar are the two most rapidly rising stars in F1 IMHO

I predict he will get on podium this year