Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Feb 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3370132)   #451
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
I may have been mistaken by a year
It seems that 2005 was hotter than 2004 indeed.
http://weatherspark.com/history/3215...a-Loire-France

http://weatherspark.com/history/3215...a-Loire-France

Anyhow, this is not what we want! Mid-twenties is good!
Old 20 Feb 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3370503)   #452
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
2005 was my first year and I swear they said it was nearly hitting the forties - stupendously hot. The campsite we use has a huge lake with a proper bathing area which we were so pleased to dive in to on Sunday evening!
Bloomin' hot. That was the year the Tourists flew to Paris and drove in a hire car from there (one and only time - too long a story to explain). Got stuck in traffic on Saturday about 1 pm with no car park ticket. End up parking way, way out beyond Tertre Rouge on a local estate street and virtually jogged in from there. By the time I met Fab (and Adam) in T37 it must have been about half an hour to the start and I was melting....... It was also the only year (as far as I remember) that I missed the Tenths meeting.

You can sense the heat in this shot of Adam and Fab......

Adam43 and Fab

Last edited by Aysedasi; 20 Feb 2014 at 21:09.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 22:53 (Ref:3370547)   #453
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Bloomin' hot. That was the year the Tourists flew to Paris and drove in a hire car from there (one and only time - too long a story to explain). Got stuck in traffic on Saturday about 1 pm with no car park ticket. End up parking way, way out beyond Tertre Rouge on a local estate street and virtually jogged in from there. By the time I met Fab (and Adam) in T37 it must have been about half an hour to the start and I was melting....... It was also the only year (as far as I remember) that I missed the Tenths meeting.

You can sense the heat in this shot of Adam and Fab......

Adam43 and Fab
Assuming you stuck around in T34, that's got to have been unendurable come 1700 or so...
Old 21 Feb 2014, 09:37 (Ref:3370632)   #454
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The first year I went 1984 was a real hot one, having arrived on a coach early Saturday and having no idea of anything we stood in front of the grandstands opposite the pits watching all the build up, and waited for the start for 4 hours plus, as the sun moved in the sky we got sun burnt in anywhere exposed. That year was very hot but in future years I knew not to do that again.
Old 21 Feb 2014, 18:54 (Ref:3370741)   #455
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Assuming you stuck around in T34, that's got to have been unendurable come 1700 or so...
Oh yes Ian - there was never anywhere hotter than T37 on a really sunny day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The first year I went 1984 was a real hot one, having arrived on a coach early Saturday and having no idea of anything we stood in front of the grandstands opposite the pits watching all the build up, and waited for the start for 4 hours plus, as the sun moved in the sky we got sun burnt in anywhere exposed. That year was very hot but in future years I knew not to do that again.
People can have a laugh and call me a namby-pamby, but I now always wear a hat when it's sunny at Le Mans (well, all the time really) and have suncream at the ready. I've seen so many people looking like boiled bacon even before the start of the race, that I always take care. Trouble is, fans get beered up and stand out in the sun with common sense having gone out of the window.
Old 21 Feb 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3370789)   #456
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
yep agree with that, a hat is essential if the sun is shinning, but leaving the shirt on keeps me from burning with a little sun cream for the face and neck is better than finding out to late how strong the sun can be
Old 23 Feb 2014, 01:26 (Ref:3371152)   #457
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I booked a General Enclosure and a parking ticket to the LM 2014. And I chose will call pickup. Was it a good idea or not? At this far, the information about the will call window location during the race weekend was just TBA. Of course I could have chosen the UPS shipping, but....

My flight to Paris is on Wednesday and the first time I'll be entering on the venue will be on Thursday morning or afternoon, depending on circumstances.

btw. Though I live in Finland, it will also be my very first European endurance race event. Previously I've been in Rolex24 and ALMS Grand Prix of Mosport.
Old 23 Feb 2014, 07:23 (Ref:3371169)   #458
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
To pick up the tickets when you arrive you will need to go to the rotunda, the only problem in doing that during busy periods is try to park the car but everyone else is doing the same so eventually you will get a space, depending on the cost of UPS it might be better as the process of collection on Thursday could eat up a large chunk of time which could be spent watching Qualifying of either the main cars or the support races.
Old 23 Feb 2014, 08:31 (Ref:3371176)   #459
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
You should be OK, BLJ (welcome from me, by the way!), but Simon is right, car parking on the road outside the Rotunda, whilst looking substantial at any other time, is very busy during race week. Having said that, I've walked there from the main entrance - it's not so far - and that comes from someone who was 50+ and unfit at the time......
Old 23 Feb 2014, 08:41 (Ref:3371185)   #460
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Yes welcome to the forum BLJ, you will love Le mans i Guarantee. Please try to make the saturday meet.
Old 23 Feb 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3371237)   #461
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Yes welcome to the forum BLJ, you will love Le mans i Guarantee. Please try to make the saturday meet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
BLJ (welcome from me, by the way!)
Thank you very much!

So will call pickup doesn't sound too tricky. As long as I'll find a spot to park, it'll be OK.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3371698)   #462
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
'twas a hot one that year.

I'm not good in the heat, but whatever a hat and cream is required. Don't let the sun ruin the race. In 1991 I got fried while waiting for the start just before the Esses. Had to go into town a couple of hours after the start to get some industrial strength sun cream. After the race we went home a day early too. After the race...

Hat and cream is a top tip. You are out in the open, watching the race it can easily get you without you knowing.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 20:43 (Ref:3371755)   #463
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's worth bringing an Umbrella with you wherever you are at Le Mans, at whatever time, and in any conditions.

In 2013, mine served as an umbrella, a parasol and a wind-break in the space of a day....
Old 24 Feb 2014, 21:18 (Ref:3371769)   #464
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Allergy medicin, even for the light allergies it's important!
Last year, my wednesday was almost ruined by it. Luckily I got to a pharmacy in Arnage by thursday and got what I needed to become tip-top for the rest of the weekend
Old 24 Feb 2014, 22:11 (Ref:3371796)   #465
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, full medical supplies are a good idea, i.e. your favourite headache remedy (I get migraines, especially in the sun, so I have a good supply of what I need for those), plus stomach remedies (I always have a couple of Imodium or Lomotil or equivalent after being very ill in 1987) etc.
Old 25 Feb 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3371930)   #466
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
French pharmacies can provided you anything stuff that is only available on prescription in the UK can be bought over the counter, one year lost my insulin and ended up buying it the chemist, enough to ensure bentley's victory that year if i could have got at the drivers in the other cars, but that was not required. In the UK you would never be allowed something that lethal.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3372415)   #467
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Just paid off my balance with Travel Destinations!

Can't wait for June 6th to come around now (the day I officially start a three week vacation to Europe).
Old 26 Feb 2014, 17:23 (Ref:3372417)   #468
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post

Can't wait for June 6th to come around now (the day I officially start a three week vacation to Europe).
We all look forward to meeting you there, either at the meet or perhaps before
Old 26 Feb 2014, 21:39 (Ref:3372492)   #469
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Good for you! Hopefully you'll make it to the 10ths meet.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3372507)   #470
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just found out that I have an exam the 11th of June .

So, I'm gonna call in sick and come on the 10th instead (taking the re-exam in august instead)
Old 27 Feb 2014, 01:14 (Ref:3372555)   #471
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanshard View Post
Good for you! Hopefully you'll make it to the 10ths meet.
Honestly I think I'll have to skip the meet this time. I'm bringing the missus and she's already being patient enough to put up with going to all qualifying sessions, the British welcome, drivers parade and the race itself. I would be pushing my luck if I added meeting a bunch of strange racing junkies to the mix.

I do like the idea from a previous thread of the overseas visitors campsite, perhaps next year I will come by myself and take advantage of that offer.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 08:04 (Ref:3372632)   #472
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Honestly I think I'll have to skip the meet this time. I'm bringing the missus and she's already being patient enough to put up with going to all qualifying sessions, the British welcome, drivers parade and the race itself. I would be pushing my luck if I added meeting a bunch of strange racing junkies to the mix.

I do like the idea from a previous thread of the overseas visitors campsite, perhaps next year I will come by myself and take advantage of that offer.
I would have thought the opportunity to sample delicious produce and beverage from around the globe would be more appealing to the missus than most of the other things you have listed
Old 27 Feb 2014, 08:09 (Ref:3372636)   #473
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:

I think you have the wrong idea of the meet yes it is mostly race fans but it is a very friendly gathering with some food and drink and a chance to chat to people from all corners of the world and a real mixed bunch, she will have a chance to talk to people in a very informal setting compared to the rest of the week she will find it a very refreshing change
Old 27 Feb 2014, 15:29 (Ref:3372778)   #474
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
we're not weird! not whilst there's no cars going around anyway, it's a jekyll and hyde thing

but really, you don't need to stay for the entire time and everyone is really friendly. loads of different nationalities, and there's a few ladies there as well. it's just a bunch of people with a shared interest meeting up and having a chat.

very civilised
Old 27 Feb 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3372875)   #475
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Geez!

So when and where is this meeting anyway???

Publicly shame me into coming.