Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Aug 2015, 18:34 (Ref:3564913)   #7051
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Lots of people are hoping that the guys who own COTA now give up and Tavo heads a group that takes over COTA.
It won't matter what Tavo does. The WEC/IMSA contracts are year to year, and they won't be re-signed for the 2017 season from a source intamite with the subject.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 9 Aug 2015, 18:42 (Ref:3564914)   #7052
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
So it seems that the ACO/FIA and IMSA got tired of COTA management's screw ups and are willing to take their business elsewhere (rhetorical question)? It seems that COTA will have to impress the hell out of those guys to have a chance at having them there beyond 2016, and with RA willing to do what it takes to get them there and welcoming the WEC and WSC with open arms, I can't see that happening unless a major shake up happens at COTA.

And as you've hinted, it may be too little, too late for COTA now that they've got at least one other competitor willing to play ball.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 18:56 (Ref:3564915)   #7053
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure that IMSA and WEC are necessarily in the same boat with regard to COTA. The WEC would like to race in the U.S. at a track that meets its standards but isn't really tied to any particular part of the country.

IMSA has 11 dates in the U.S. and one in Canada. Texas is an awfully big state, and a race at a stable, competently run COTA would have considerable appeal even without the WEC also being there.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 19:08 (Ref:3564918)   #7054
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I'm not sure that IMSA and WEC are necessarily in the same boat with regard to COTA. The WEC would like to race in the U.S. at a track that meets its standards but isn't really tied to any particular part of the country.

IMSA has 11 dates in the U.S. and one in Canada. Texas is an awfully big state, and a race at a stable, competently run COTA would have considerable appeal even without the WEC also being there.
But they'd have to be competently run. Which they aren't.

COTA wasn't even able to come up with money to garner a date from a series that offered a 75% discount on it's sanctioning fees.

WEC/IMSA are in the same boat, from my understanding in terms of COTA and what they've gotten from them.

Last edited by MoMedic9019; 9 Aug 2015 at 19:15.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 9 Aug 2015, 19:46 (Ref:3564933)   #7055
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
In short, both the ACO/FIA faction and IMSA aren't particularly happy with how COTA has been managed since Tavo was bought out by the current management, and with RA willing and ready to play ball, the ACO/FIA and IMSA now have an option if they decide to take it (and it seems very likely that they will if they feel that they're given no other choice in their opinions).

Not to mention that RA is a favorite among drivers from the WEC and WSC, the track is well run and managed, has a popular inbuilt fan base, and then there's the location--not too overly far away from Milwaukee or Chicago.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 19:56 (Ref:3564937)   #7056
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
In short, both the ACO/FIA faction and IMSA aren't particularly happy with how COTA has been managed since Tavo was bought out by the current management, and with RA willing and ready to play ball, the ACO/FIA and IMSA now have an option if they decide to take it (and it seems very likely that they will if they feel that they're given no other choice in their opinions).

Not to mention that RA is a favorite among drivers from the WEC and WSC, the track is well run and managed, has a popular inbuilt fan base, and then there's the location--not too overly far away from Milwaukee or Chicago.
Spot on TL;DR
Old 9 Aug 2015, 21:53 (Ref:3564994)   #7057
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
T So I think my prediction percentages for the US options are if COTA indeed goes down as merrily as it seems:
- Indy Boral 40%
- New Tilke Eurodisneyland when F1 eventually makes it as COTA replacement 30%
- Nothing at all, Montreal and/or Mexico "representing North America" shiz 20%
- Road America 9%
- Some other US venue 1%
I would put that with less than 1%.

F1 is a sinking ship and it's losing massive spectators pretty much everywhere. Also, it was never popular in USA, to begin with. Nobody will waste a fortune(sheiks esque) on building those FIA-specification(I don't agree with entirely blaming Tilke) car parks. COTA was an one off, imho.

MoMedic9019 , why don't they improve the tarmac of RAm? I heard it was repaved recently, so why didn't they improve it to a high grip asphalt instead of their polished one which grips almost like concrete?(at least that's what it seems to me)
Old 9 Aug 2015, 22:07 (Ref:3564996)   #7058
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post

MoMedic9019 , why don't they improve the tarmac of RAm? I heard it was repaved recently, so why didn't they improve it to a high grip asphalt instead of their polished one which grips almost like concrete?(at least that's what it seems to me)
Because it's incredibly expensive, and it would be back to where it is currently after two seasons.

The number of track days, schools, testing, races, and just general environmental wear make it prohibitively expensive, and unneccesary. The repaving was done in the corners that have been a problem since it was done in '95.

When it was done back then, it was found that the oil/tar that was used to hold the aggregate together leeched a slime when it got wet, then hot under the sun. It had been gone over a number of times, resurfaced, ground, all sorts of things. Nothing ever worked or held together. So, they finally took it back down to the gravel in the corners and re-laid the entire surface.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 22:13 (Ref:3564997)   #7059
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Earlier today I had a MASSIVE bombshell dropped in my e-mail. And, annoyingly, I can't elaborate since NDAs were signed and if I do, the person who sent it to me could get in trouble over it.

All I can say is be prepared for something HUGE to come WAY out of left field sometime in the coming year. This is something that few(myself included) have considered a serious possibility, and has the potential really shake $#!% up in the US.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 22:43 (Ref:3565006)   #7060
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Earlier today I had a MASSIVE bombshell dropped in my e-mail. And, annoyingly, I can't elaborate since NDAs were signed and if I do, the person who sent it to me could get in trouble over it.

All I can say is be prepared for something HUGE to come WAY out of left field sometime in the coming year. This is something that few(myself included) have considered a serious possibility, and has the potential really shake $#!% up in the US.
Cant drop any hints? Does it involve Nascar in any way?
Old 9 Aug 2015, 22:49 (Ref:3565012)   #7061
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post

This serious possibility, is it something that's been pondered this year, last year, or before?
Old 9 Aug 2015, 23:04 (Ref:3565019)   #7062
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last few days:

If you only knew wha--- oh whatever you know how that goes

Anyway

IMSA-NASCAR wants to introduce sportscars to roundy roundy speedway format?
Bill France has change of heart and wants to sell all assets beyond stock cars?
ACO establishes the 'American Le Mans Series'?
Trans-Am adopts Class One cars?
Ratel announces the United States Hypercar GT1 Championship?
American legend and family hero Scott Pruett retires?
Murphy the Bear replaces Varsha on Fox Sports?
Old 9 Aug 2015, 23:07 (Ref:3565020)   #7063
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL/IMS to be bought by NASCAR/ ISC / FRANCE FAMILY

Nothing new here folks !!!

Hulman Family wants to CASH OUT after the 100 th anniversary if Indy 500 next year
Old 10 Aug 2015, 00:31 (Ref:3565031)   #7064
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
IRL/IMS to be bought by NASCAR/ ISC / FRANCE FAMILY

Nothing new here folks !!!

Hulman Family wants to CASH OUT after the 100 th anniversary if Indy 500 next year
Hah, I was thinking the same thing! Nascar buys Indycar was on my mind when I read FormulaFox's comment
Old 10 Aug 2015, 00:51 (Ref:3565035)   #7065
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If that were the case, why would he post about it to the sportscar area? And sure it would widen the notorious NASCAR monopoly even more but "shake $#!% up" wouldn't really apply either to the grand scheme of things, ICS isn't exactly the biggest thing out there
Old 10 Aug 2015, 01:07 (Ref:3565038)   #7066
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
If that were the case, why would he post about it to the sportscar area? And sure it would widen the notorious NASCAR monopoly even more but "shake $#!% up" wouldn't really apply either to the grand scheme of things, ICS isn't exactly the biggest thing out there
We've exchanged PM's, and while there was no clear break of NDA. It would appear to be that whever it is may be a major barganing chip...

No timeline for media release, or info.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 04:21 (Ref:3565047)   #7067
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
One thing I know for certain I can confirm: It is NOT a buyout of ANYTHING - not by NASCAR or anyone else.

This is by no means a done deal - it could collapse under it's own weight at any moment. But if it does, I imagine the NDAs won't matter and I SHOULD be able to say something about it(assuming someone doesn't beat me to it).

Last edited by FormulaFox; 10 Aug 2015 at 04:29.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 13:52 (Ref:3565114)   #7068
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Thank y'all for keeping all this nonsense (?) in the Rumours thread, appreciate it!

I too keep dreaming of seeing the world's fastest sportscars on a true natural road course in the US one day again!
Old 10 Aug 2015, 17:33 (Ref:3565155)   #7069
TF110
Veteran

United States
Little discussion on twitter here about the wec reducing the gap from Le Mans to the next race.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 17:44 (Ref:3565159)   #7070
Deleted
Veteran

Holy cow he is actually starting to address primary issues. Good
Old 10 Aug 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3565175)   #7071
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... Why not a 6 hour race at my favorite track, Watkins Glen? It's getting a repaved this year you know, they probably could throw in few upgrades while they are at it.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 21:24 (Ref:3565194)   #7072
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Upgrades such as ???
Old 10 Aug 2015, 21:33 (Ref:3565196)   #7073
Deleted
Veteran

VIP Package from Porsche costs double the amount at the imperial COTA F1 facilities than it does at Atlanta tents, even though it says that the package is almost the same

http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/we...ml#prettyPhoto

So I guess these are some of the real reasons for picking circuits in WEC too
Old 10 Aug 2015, 21:46 (Ref:3565198)   #7074
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What a joke.
I could understand it if there was the third car there and you could meet a current F1 driver.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 21:55 (Ref:3565204)   #7075
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Little discussion on twitter here about the wec reducing the gap from Le Mans to the next race.
It won't be a crazy thing a calendar with 9 races, it will be a little bit more costly for teams but it's not crazy

IMO they should do short races of 500Km like the old WSC if they want to increase to 10 or 11 races.