Herman Tilke

Is he a good racetrack designer?
Old 28 Mar 2003, 19:05 (Ref:551402)   #2
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I know this is going to get a great deal of criticism from a lot of people, but I say yes.

Are his tracks anything like as good as the old legends? No - but that's not his fault, you've to blame safety standards and the constraints given to him by the track owners.
Does he produce tracks that have plenty of action, a nive ambiance off the track, nice overtaking opportunites, and meet dafety guidelines? Yes, he does. He might not be a legend - but he does a well as he can.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 19:32 (Ref:551426)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I don't like Sepang I think its a horrid circuit.

A1 ring is only really saved by the fact it throws up good races, and has nice scenery.

The new Hockenheim is bad, although the long run into that hairpin is OK, the rest sucks major big time etc.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 19:36 (Ref:551433)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Asp is probably right but after whats happenned to Ostereichring, Hockenheim and Fuji because of Tilke then you can't blame people for disliking him.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 19:38 (Ref:551435)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 19:39 (Ref:551437)   #6
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes he makes good tracks. You can't expect the next Spa every time.....given such a specific brief he does a good job.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 22:42 (Ref:551632)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He makes terrible tracks. Only the A1-Ring and Sepang have been acceptable.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 00:21 (Ref:551705)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Sepang is the best circuit out there (but thats possibly helped by the facilities also), the A1 ring nearly always produced a good race and the New Hockenheim produced more overtaking than the old one did in a long time, so he's not as bad as everyone thinks, i just wish that Bernie would employ different designers so we had different sorts of tracks.

The new turn one at Nurburgring is cack though!!

Last edited by Mr V; 29 Mar 2003 at 00:21.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 00:46 (Ref:551738)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tilke is as useless as tits on a bull.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 00:49 (Ref:551742)   #10
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
New Hockenheim produced more overtaking than the old one did in a long time
I always found that the old one was great for passing... long straights, slip streaming, etc.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 01:02 (Ref:551746)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Same here paulzinho.

Infact, mr v, watch Germany 2000 on tape, then watch the 2002 race. The come back and tell me that the new track provides more passing
Old 29 Mar 2003, 02:41 (Ref:551797)   #12
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His tracks are probably as good as the need for gutless "go-kart circuits" continues so the adverts can be shown more,etc, etc.
I't a matter of marketing unfortunately IMHO.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 14:43 (Ref:552136)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Same here paulzinho.

Infact, mr v, watch Germany 2000 on tape, then watch the 2002 race. The come back and tell me that the new track provides more passing
But wasn't the 2000 race affected by the weather? that always throws up different variables! Why didn't you mention the 2001 race? or was that because there was no overtaking in that one?
Old 29 Mar 2003, 14:58 (Ref:552148)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Admittadly the 2001 one race wasn't as good as 2000, but I think it's on par with the '02 race. And remember, at the 2001 race, Schumacher, Montoya, Hakkinen and Coulthard were all gone by the half way mark
Old 29 Mar 2003, 15:15 (Ref:552157)   #15
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least Tilke is better than many others planning new tracks during last years.
Who designed Indianapolis? - inside part is awful.

Sepang has lots of good parts, but I think it's too slow.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 15:24 (Ref:552163)   #16
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Quote:
But wasn't the 2000 race affected by the weather? that always throws up different variables!
Only for that last few laps which is why Rubens stayed out on slicks.

Most of the passing was done before then anyway, 2001 was still pretty decent from what I can remember.... and it waqs still a proper track then, not one with turns for the sake of having turns.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 15:26 (Ref:552164)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
And remember, at the 2001 race, Schumacher, Montoya, Hakkinen and Coulthard were all gone by the half way mark
So thats how Rafe managed to get past so many cars
Old 29 Mar 2003, 19:58 (Ref:552347)   #18
dragon x
Rookie

dragon x should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The circuits aren't that bad being veeeeery wide and provide good opportunities for overtaking.
The things I dislike a lot are the incredibly stupid and sharp first turns at Nurburgring and Hungaroring - they are sure to bring more crashes, not overtaking (see Monty vs DC last year at Nurb). And those windy, spiral-like sections don't make any sense either - especially on my F1 simulator.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 00:22 (Ref:552530)   #19
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the regulations that he has to work with, he does a rather decent job. Remember that you don't just take a pen to paper and have at it. You have to keep in mind what the client wants, what the most commercialy viable plan might be, how the land is on which the track will be built, the local infastructure and facilities needed, and what the fans want. Trying to get all of those factors, and then some, to match up is not an easy thing to do. Should many things be changed on his tracks, yes. But I don't have the in-dept knowledge of what each design had to have in order to please those invilved. Do you?
Old 30 Mar 2003, 01:11 (Ref:552563)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Magny-Cours sucks, there's just no other way to put it. Even with all the restrictions he has to work with (Alan Wilson wishes he was so "restricted" ), his work still turns out miserably.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 30 Mar 2003 at 01:14.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 05:39 (Ref:552677)   #21
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have yet to see what the new modifications will bring us. It looks as though more overtaking should result. Also wasn't it not but a few days back you were talking smack about Mr. Wilson and he responded in form? Yes I think that Tilke's designes are flawed, but give the guy a break, he can't please everybody at the expense of the people who pay him.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 09:25 (Ref:552728)   #22
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Exactly - we can't compare the old Hock to the new track (for example) - in comparison the new track is an insult.
But, as bcobbus says - he has regulations and restrictions to work with. Ignore what was there, and look at his tracks on their own merit - if you can!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 11:51 (Ref:552830)   #23
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
New Hockenheim produced more overtaking than the old one did in a long time
Cough-cough...someone will have a big, big nose (big like the "very interesting" Spitzkehre) very soon...

Let me see...although people probably know this. I think A1-Ring is cool, Sepang is acceptable, but I really dislike Tilke because he killed my Hocki. End.

Ignore what was there? Never! That was one of the most improtant things in my
Old 30 Mar 2003, 12:12 (Ref:552842)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Life?
Eyes?
Old 30 Mar 2003, 12:21 (Ref:552849)   #25
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok Missy, but frankly, last years German GP provided more action than past 5-years put together. In recent years only 2000 showed something, but that's only because a Ferrari started nearly last and because an Mercedes employee decided that blocking a Formula 1 Grand Prix was best way to make a point. And oh yes, almost forgot. It rained.

Last edited by Red; 30 Mar 2003 at 12:22.