Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22 Jun 2002, 16:45 (Ref:319061)   #1
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time to drop the "williams is rubbish" belief.

Ive said all throughout the season that the majority of Ferraris advantage were coming from the tyres. Yes, they have had a car advantage, but I think that has been somewhat negated over the last few races. Michelin have really improved (especially in qualifying), and I think they're getting really close to Ferrari in qualifying. What annoys me is the continuous belief that this Williams is a tank. "montoya is putting this car in places where it doesnt belong.. blah blah blah". They should also state that Ralf (who montoya fans consider garbage) is putting the car an enormous 0.009 seconds behind the God(and he had 1 less run). Yes, montoya has had good run late in qualifying, but the Williams is certainly no toleman, and Juan Pablo is certainly no Senna.

What happened to the days when drivers had to prove themselves before they got the godlike status. I dont mind the fans cheering and praising his efforts. Yes, 3 poles are nice, but until he has had more than 1 race win on a straight power circuit, until he shows some skill in the wet, until he can make a run at the championship etc, then to me he can be put in no higher class than drivers such as JV, Hill etc (in fact I wouldnt even put him in this class yet). I just consider it an insult when i read comments like "The next Senna", "The next Michael Schumacher". These guys got to the top and stayed their consistently. Yes, they both have had a few unsporting incidents which tarnished their career (more so Michael because he's still alive), but nobody can deny their skill. "But they both drove dominating cars" I hear you say. Plllleeeasse, people should go back and look what Michael and Senna drove in their first two years. "But he has only driven 2 years" I hear you say. Thats exactly my point!! If he can string 3 impressive seasons (by impressive I mean winning seasons) then you can justify your godly comments.

To summarise
1) JPM has shown talent/potential
2) he has yet to realise that potential to its fullest
3) he may become one of the greats
4) but he might not (JV case in point)
5) 1 win with the best car on the grid (yes, Williams was not inferior to Ferrari at Monza) does not qualify for greateness.

I am very much looking forward to tommorrows race. He may begin to turn me into a believer.