Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Apr 2010, 11:56 (Ref:2669976)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Reliability 2010

After 3 Gps, we have some perspective about reliability. If MR=Mechanical Retirements and CR=Crash Retirement (CR is not a reliability issue, at least "car reliability" ), then we have had:

BAH: 7 MR, 1 CR (CR=Chandhok), MR= 30%
AUS: 6 MR, 4 CR (CR=Buemi, Koba, Hulk, Petrov), MR= 30%
MAL: 7 MR, 1 CR (CR=Glock), MR= 30%

(Curiously, there was 30% of MR in each race! (rounding to integer))

Top teams (speed wise) have had a very good reliability, and the inverse is also true: the slowest teams had big problems, but in different levels. In the following table there is data about MR= Total MR by the team and Comp%= percentage of distance reliably done (i.e. without MR)
Code:
Team         Com%     MR
========================
McLaren      100%      0
Williams     100%      0
Ferrari      100%      1
ToroRosso     99%      1
RedBull       90%      1
Mercedes      86%      1
Lotus         79%      2
Renault       74%      2
ForceIndia    72%      2
Hispano       74%      2
Virgin        54%      4
Sauber        36%      4
========================
A positive "surprise" is Toro Rosso with only 1 MR and 99% of distance completed. Also relatively surprising in a positive way is Hispano's very decent record, having in consideration the circumstances.

Very negative is Sauber's situation, 4 (out of 6) MRs and only a scarce (pathetic?) 36% of distance without mechanical truobles. Virgin is in bad shape as well, 4 MRs and 54% of distance.

An interesting aspect is the sub-case "Engine Retirements", but it is another question (i.e. I don't have the time to go into it ).
Old 10 Apr 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2670022)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice work as usual Schummy !
Old 10 Apr 2010, 13:02 (Ref:2670033)   #3
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting (disappointing) to see Sauber so woefully unreliable compared to the 'expected to have failures' new teams.....
Old 10 Apr 2010, 13:02 (Ref:2670034)   #4
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I liked those beers!

Of course wine and champagne are welcomed as well.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2670038)   #5
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy View Post
An interesting aspect is the sub-case "Engine Retirements", but it is another question (i.e. I don't have the time to go into it ).
Oh come on.. we all know you do have time hehe

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2670039)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is Sauber going into oblivion ?
Old 10 Apr 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2670195)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Is Sauber going into oblivion ?
Without the backing of a manufacturer a huge sponsorship deal or a billionaire the answer to your question is yes.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2670216)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy View Post
I liked those beers!

Of course wine and champagne are welcomed as well.
You deserve them all, mate !
Old 13 Apr 2010, 09:43 (Ref:2671874)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I take it you've ignored laps which could have been completed had the car not already crashed out? And clearly failures which didn't stop the car but caused it to lose places / points have been overlooked too.

Not sure how Kobayashi should be counted at Melbourne - he crashed, but due to a front wing failure; was there ever confirmation of whether he'd previously made contact? He was runnning about where you'd expect when he went into that corner, so he obviously hadn't been cruising back to the pits.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2671975)   #10
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another gem Schummy.

With all this I hope you've made alternative arrangements for getting home...Taxi!

How does it compare with the first 3 GP's of last year?
(If you have the data...please)

Many thanks
Peter
Old 13 Apr 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2672029)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
With regards to reliabilty, Ferrari are to use their original Bahrain engines in China. These are the engines that had problems during that particular race weekend, but might not suffer the same problem in China?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82848

Over to you Schummy.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2672198)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I am particularly interested on how Mercedes will improve its reliability. Is that the case of a car fitted better to the young dude sitting next to TGF ? Or it's just plain bad luck - can't believe in luck - for the old man ? I guess Brawn has some homework to do.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2672213)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'm also assuming that Red Bull have conquered their problems and will now keep winning until Ferrari and McLaren catch them up on outright pace.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 08:10 (Ref:2673498)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Well that's another one blown Fernando.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 09:40 (Ref:2673542)   #15
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I'm also assuming that Red Bull have conquered their problems and will now keep winning until Ferrari and McLaren catch them up on outright pace.

That may come sooner than later, there will be a lot of wide eyes at the FIA examination of the Red Bulls in China this weekend.
Old 22 May 2010, 12:10 (Ref:2695921)   #16
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

After the 6th GP (Monaco), reliabilities are:
Code:
           Fia%  MR
Williams   100%   0
Ferrari    100%   1
RedBull     96%   1
ToroRosso   95%   2
Mercedes    94%   1
Renault     91%   2
McLaren     90%   1
ForceIndia  86%   2
Hispano     82%   3
Lotus       75%   5
Virgin      50%   8
Sauber      45%   7
Fia% is the percentage of Kms done without MR(=Mechanical Retirements). CR= "Crash Retirements" (in fact, any non mechanical retirement).

BAH: 7 MR, 1 CR (CR=Chandhok), MR= 30%
AUS: 6 MR, 4 CR (CR=Buemi, Koba, Hulk, Petrov), MR= 30%
MAL: 7 MR, 1 CR (CR=Glock), MR= 30%
CHI: 4 MR, 3 CR (CR=Buemi, Kobayashi, Liuzzi), MR= 19%
SPA: 2 MR, 3 CR (CR=DelaRosa, Chandok, Senna), MR= 10%
MON: 7 MR, 2 CR (CR=Barrichello, Hulkenberg), MR= 32%

For Monaco, Barrichello's retirement has been considered a no Mechanical Retirement according to team's investigation. So Williams goes on being the only team without MRs.

Pretty good figures for leading teams (Button's MR in Monaco is the only dark spot for Macs). Special mention to (formerly said) Williams and Toro Rosso.

Very decent job by Hispania, and very poor by Sauber (being a supposedly veteran team). Virgin is the less reliable rookie team by far.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2717602)   #17
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Update after Canada.
Code:
           Rel%   MR
===================
Williams   100%   0
Ferrari    100%   1
RedBull     97%   1
ToroRosso   97%   2
Mercedes    95%   1
Renault     93%   2
McLaren     92%   1
ForceIndia  90%   2
Hispano     80%   5
Lotus       74%   8
Virgin      61%   9
Sauber      54%   8
===================
Basically there are two groups (and one "interloper"): the first class group (the big four plus Williams, Renault, ForceIndia and ToroRosso, i.e. the old teams minus Sauber anyway), with reliability around 90-100% and around 10% of mechanical retirements and the bottom group (Lotus, Virgin and... Sauber), with reliability 50-75% and about 50% of mechanical retirements. The "intermediate" one between those groups is Hispania.