Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 8 Dec 2013, 20:46 (Ref:3341707)   #5051
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hopefully they'll leave it in that livery.

Very purposeful. Stealth bomber on wheels.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3341708)   #5052
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Agree with Beetle here. I don't regard the R18 as beautiful, but surely it does look very purposeful and resourceful, which makes it beautiful in some way.

Edit: seems that Simmi agrees with me
Old 8 Dec 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3341710)   #5053
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Hopefully they'll leave it in that livery.

Very purposeful. Stealth bomber on wheels.
I freaking love that thing... I don't think I've ever been so excited about a new LMP car in my life!
Old 8 Dec 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3341712)   #5054
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
It's going to be even more spooky and freaky and impressive at night at Le Mans if all three cars stay in black.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 20:55 (Ref:3341713)   #5055
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
It does look good, I imagine they'll want to move a little away from the presumably white base of the Porsche, so black with a touch of silver could work well.

Here's hoping
Old 8 Dec 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3341715)   #5056
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Imo its just a mash up of R15 and R18 up front. But thats not the final car of course. More details will be behind the front fenders.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3341720)   #5057
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
It's going to be even more spooky and freaky and impressive at night at Le Mans if all three cars stay in black.
Will however make for boring pictures at night
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Imo its just a mash up of R15 and R18 up front. But thats not the final car of course. More details will be behind the front fenders.
Audi has never changed the overall design of their cars after the first presentation (with the R15/R15+ as an exception), so I think this is the car we will see at Le Mans next year.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 21:19 (Ref:3341722)   #5058
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Will however make for boring pictures at night
The decals will always get caught in the flash.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3341726)   #5059
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Original R18 (how lazy to use the same name) was presented in black too, so I'm not sure that will have much to do with the real livery. The red stripes are curious though but still looks way too simple to be a real livery...

...altough I wouldn't underestimate Audi in this area (the awful R15+ "lets throw some red paint over the car and see where it sticks" livery).
Old 8 Dec 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3341739)   #5060
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm hopeful they'll go back to three subtly different liveries again for 2014.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 22:11 (Ref:3341740)   #5061
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Original R18 (how lazy to use the same name)
Renault has the rights to almost every R-number combination possible, so Audi has not much of a choice!
Old 8 Dec 2013, 22:59 (Ref:3341752)   #5062
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Renault has the rights to almost every R-number combination possible, so Audi has not much of a choice!
A new way of naming is possible, but unlikely
Ex. LM1 for Le Mans cars, DTM1 for DTMs and so on.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3341754)   #5063
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
How about Audi R18+?
Old 8 Dec 2013, 23:50 (Ref:3341767)   #5064
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting quote on the official Facebook page:
Quote:
R18 is the name for all closed LMP1 cars from Audi. We do not change the names anymore - similar to not changing names for new road cars
The links here... it's hidden in a reply to 'Max Maier'
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

Plus another reply says that the final livery will be 'revealed later in 2014'
Old 8 Dec 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3341770)   #5065
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Road relevancy even in that area then (sarcasm). I don't totally get that analogy and would make more sense if they had come up with some new name, a name not in the familiar Rxx format and then kept that for future.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 00:15 (Ref:3341773)   #5066
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
I really don't see the problem. The Porsche 911 has been named 911 for years now, only the internal Porsche name has changed (930, 964, 993, 996, etc. etc. etc.) They all look similar, but different altogether, as do the different R18's. I think it creates a sort of continuency and therefore familiarity for the not-so-deep-into-it-onlooker-like-we-are, which is good for the sport altogether.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 03:36 (Ref:3341810)   #5067
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I hate it when manufacturers do that, hated it when Peugeot did it as a well with the 908.

Audi has a particular bad track record when it comes to usage of names though. I can't think of any other manufacturer that has abused the name of a legendary race car to sell a road car.

The R8 travesty continued when it came to the R8 LMS which, according to Audi, stands for "Le Mans Series", even though it was a GT3 car

So yeah, no surprise here, effective naming just isn't their thing.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 05:03 (Ref:3341823)   #5068
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I hate it when manufacturers do that, hated it when Peugeot did it as a well with the 908.

Audi has a particular bad track record when it comes to usage of names though. I can't think of any other manufacturer that has abused the name of a legendary race car to sell a road car.

The R8 travesty continued when it came to the R8 LMS which, according to Audi, stands for "Le Mans Series", even though it was a GT3 car

So yeah, no surprise here, effective naming just isn't their thing.
The R8 LMS was dedicated to Audi winning the 2008 Le Mans Series with the Audi R10 TDI
Old 9 Dec 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3341880)   #5069
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Given that in the last two years there has been real speculation around whether Audi would even continue in sportscars alongside Porsche - is it really necessary to go into a spiral of depression about what this car is called or what it looks like?
Old 9 Dec 2013, 09:29 (Ref:3341892)   #5070
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Touché Simmi, touché
Old 9 Dec 2013, 10:17 (Ref:3341905)   #5071
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess as long as the rules stay relevant for them they will stay. With the new formula it's as relevant as motorsport has ever been the last few years. I guess they are here to stay for a whole lot longer.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3341923)   #5072
Flem
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Flem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be happy if they called it Hammerhead Eagle-i Thrust from Top Gear as long as they keep racing
Old 9 Dec 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3341927)   #5073
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
They might not be able to change the car's official name - but Lotterer on Instagram earlier was asking what they as a team should call the new car. e.g. Red Sonja.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3341984)   #5074
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The current R18 #1 has a girl's name as well. Can't remember what it is, though
Old 9 Dec 2013, 17:48 (Ref:3342011)   #5075
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
A quick comparison highlighting that the perspective of the picture of the 2014 Audi R18 e-tron quattro is misleading and that the cockpit width of the new car remains substantially similar to that of the old one:

One thing for sure, the air intake on the roof is massively larger than on the previous R18 iteration. Strangely, the front fenders and BHH also appear to be wider...