Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 21 Jan 2012, 03:52 (Ref:3014827)   #76
Mark Smith
Racer

United Kingdom
Chester
Mark Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that was a blast! Huge thanks to everyone at Oulton Park and MSVR for putting the day on. It was wet all day,especially in the morning. Did anyone get any photos of the proceedings?
I was pleasantly surprised at how well my Clio was gripping in the rain. It just took everything I gave it without any drama. I hope everyone else enjoyed themselves as well.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3014871)   #77
Speedfreak79
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lincs
Speedfreak79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickkicker View Post
I tried left foot braking once, it didnt end well.....
It looks like I am going to be alone at Cadwell then, come on you lot its the best track in the country to marshal at and drive round
All the usual cadwell park lot will be there with a variety of machines and help.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3014885)   #78
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be at cadwell next weekend, really looking forward to it!

Wont be doing many laps in mine but will have my trusty camera to snap people as they go.
Old 22 Jan 2012, 17:44 (Ref:3015365)   #79
Alan.F
Racer

England
Bolton
Alan.F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
Well that was a blast! Huge thanks to everyone at Oulton Park and MSVR for putting the day on. It was wet all day,especially in the morning. Did anyone get any photos of the proceedings?
I was pleasantly surprised at how well my Clio was gripping in the rain. It just took everything I gave it without any drama. I hope everyone else enjoyed themselves as well.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0618038&type=1 have a look if your car is on here
Old 22 Jan 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3015393)   #80
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan.F View Post
That gives me a "This content is currently unavailable" message.

Old 22 Jan 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3015415)   #81
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
That gives me a "This content is currently unavailable" message.

Works for me Dave...by the way your cars not there
Old 22 Jan 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3015430)   #82
Barry P
Rookie

England
Seaford, East Sussex
Barry P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear you had a good time. Great pictures. Can't wait for my day at BH on the 30th. However long range London weather forecast showing Snow. Sure it will be fine in a Celica with no rear weight. May have to pop to Wickes for a couple of bags of cement on route!
Old 22 Jan 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3015438)   #83
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thanks Al, dont mind if I pinch a few do you?
Old 22 Jan 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3015475)   #84
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazza View Post
by the way your cars not there
I'd have been very surprised if it was!
Old 23 Jan 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3015636)   #85
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park

A big thanks to JP and all the MSV staff on the day for another excellent trackday. Even though it was pouring it down (AGAIN!) we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I was personally pleased with my speed as I was faster than I thought I would be judging by the weather and my opposition.

I have been round Oulton (as a passenger) in a few very fast cars but none of them put the fear into me the same way going round in Mr Briggs' 90 did.
Old 23 Jan 2012, 16:10 (Ref:3015743)   #86
Alan.F
Racer

England
Bolton
Alan.F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Briggs View Post

Thanks Al, dont mind if I pinch a few do you?
Help yourself Ian m8
Old 25 Jan 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3017005)   #87
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was the poor unfortunate pictured being recovered from Old Hall one of the orange brigade? and if so will he/she fess up
Old 25 Jan 2012, 22:12 (Ref:3017073)   #88
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan.F View Post
The last time I saw pictures of Land Rover passengers putting crash helmets on was on Crimewatch when our local bank got done over!! :-D

I don't know which is more scary being in the Land Rover, or in that white Porsche that can't quite seem to keep up through a couple of those pictures....
Old 26 Jan 2012, 12:35 (Ref:3017300)   #89
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad View Post
Was the poor unfortunate pictured being recovered from Old Hall one of the orange brigade? and if so will he/she fess up
Know he wasn't he was a ''racing driver'' (which was probably the reason he crashed). Apparently it was his first flying lap and his first fast corner and thats where he ended up. What makes the story better is that it wasnt his car and I was told he hadn't driven it before.

But dont worry we were all there to offer some good old fashioned marshal banter. I looked a bit like this guy ->
Old 26 Jan 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3017467)   #90
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
The last time I saw pictures of Land Rover passengers putting crash helmets on was on Crimewatch when our local bank got done over!! :-D

I don't know which is more scary being in the Land Rover, or in that white Porsche that can't quite seem to keep up through a couple of those pictures....
Stick "MSV trackday photos" into google and follow the links to Oulton on the 20th Jan, there is a great set of Photos of the 90 being hurled into Knicker, goes from max lean one way to max lean the other, you can see Tom going OOOOhhhhh SHHHIIIIIIIIIIT thru the windscreen
Old 27 Jan 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3017852)   #91
Mark Smith
Racer

United Kingdom
Chester
Mark Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I ended up sharing the garage with the guys that crashed at Old Hall. They were from Malvern. Not members of the "Orange Brigade". The car had just been built after three years work apparently. They had another rover as well with a Lotus Elise engine in it which they used in the afternoon session. The lad who crashed had never driven on a race circuit and the car was a handful anyway with the turbo making it undriveable. He had been told to take it easy but he didn't. Combination of ego, wet track and inexperience in a car that didnt handle very well. A recipe for disaster that did happen.

As for the Landie I lapped Ian twice in his last session but he got very close to me coming through the chicane from Shell before I got my foot down again.
My Clio developed a nasty vibration from the back as the day progressed. It turned out that the back wheels were picking up the silt and sand off the track and it was building up on the inside of the rims putting them out of balance severely. I discovered it when I went to investigate what was causing it a couple of days later. I was amazed how much dirt had built up. I think it was combination of what was left from underneath from various rally stages and the wet weather at Oulton.
I'd jet washed the underneath of the car pretty thoroughly after Wales Rally GB and the Cambrian but there must have been some I'd missed.
Anyway after I took all the wheels off and thoroughly cleaned them the vibration disappeared thankfully.

It was a superb day overall. The Clio had amazing amounts of grip from the Toyo R1-R's as Ian will testify. I just can't believe how much grip they give on a very wet track. And there's no sign of any wear on them even after two track days.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3017923)   #92
GTiDog
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lincoln
GTiDog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there in the MR2 so I'm more than happy to give anyone with a wrist band a passenger ride :-)
Old 30 Jan 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3019023)   #93
Barry P
Rookie

England
Seaford, East Sussex
Had a great day at BH today, many thanks to JP and MSVR. It also shows the drivers perspective which can only help a marshal to understand what the racers do and don't see, especially when competing.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3019057)   #94
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgot to post saturday - had a good morning at Cadwell on saturday, but cut my day short as I didnt want to risk my car.

Few photos:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8892927&type=3 (Think these are public)

And a mates photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/foofigh...7629073433561/
Old 30 Jan 2012, 20:54 (Ref:3019086)   #95
jaysalv
Veteran

England
romford essex
jaysalv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
had a cracking day in the honda s2000 today although its bloody scary when looking in the mirror to see a ferrari f430 up your tailpipe many thanks to msv and mr palmer
Old 30 Jan 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3019095)   #96
Barry P
Rookie

England
Seaford, East Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysalv View Post
had a cracking day in the honda s2000 today although its bloody scary when looking in the mirror to see a ferrari f430 up your tailpipe many thanks to msv and mr palmer
Yes, he had a nice car but no idea how to go around corners in it. Shame he had the power on the straight to get in the way on the next corners. hedid let me by in the Celica a couple of times.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3021424)   #97
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Snett Trackday

First of all a huge thank you to Dr Palmer and MSVR. The track day at Snett is very much appreciated.

It was on Friday 27th. I expected it to be busy but there were perhaps only between 15 and 20 cars (ranging from a Mondeo up to a Radical). So getting a garage was easy! As far as I could tell we were the only marshals taking part, and as such were treated very well by the marshals on track.

We were on the 300 circuit so it was very empty indeed - and we managed to get in lap after lap without hindrance which was a real treat. The downside was that the track never really dried and was very greasy. It was also very cold indeed and we just couldn't get any heat into the tyres at all. Consequently we learnt (by experimenting) a lot about tyre pressures.

We loved the 300 circuit.

On my first flying lap I massively misjudged the braking point coming into the "Esses" (as I used to call it) - outbraked myself and went straight on into the escape road in a four wheel slide at about 100mph. That made Race Control laugh as they knew it was me. Nina did not make the same mistake LOL.

All in all a great day, with only 2 reds for mechnical breakdowns, and some really polite drivers.

My off - starts on black for 3 secs, ends off the black - Haha!

A lap with Nina -

A lap with me -

Old 4 Feb 2012, 14:40 (Ref:3021476)   #98
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like Nina's comment there

One thing that's interesting about your "off" video - when you rejoin, note just how clear the light panel at the next post down. No mistaking that, even from the driving seat.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3021482)   #99
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

One thing that's interesting about your "off" video - when you rejoin, note just how clear the light panel at the next post down. No mistaking that, even from the driving seat.
LOL - Nina's comment nearly illicited a "No s**t Sherlock" from me - but I thought better of it

What light panel?

I jest of course! I think the green was for the yellow displayed in response to my off

Indeed there were several light panels around the circuit supplementing the flags. They were easy to see - but we only ever saw blues. As it happens there was never a yellow or red whilst we were on track. With the blues I would say it was not immediately obvious who the blue was for as the panel is static and immobile - a flag can be high/low or otherwise "pointed". Sometimes on approaching a "target car" I thought the blue was for me and I started frantically mirror checking only to realise in fact it was for the car in front of me and was for "my benefit".

These panels also do not show red/yellow striped.

I would humbly suggest (only personal opinion) they are great for yellows, reds, greens and possibly whites, but not so good for blues.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 15:21 (Ref:3021496)   #100
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

Only problem is the light box is on the outside of the corner, and front the driving seat you are looking to the apex, and that corner is prety fast and you need to hold on so looking the opposite way is not on the list of things to do. The light boxs are a step forward but they need to look at the positioning in more detail, after all you can put these box's in places you cant stand as a marshal.
We did the track day at Cadwell and had a fantastic time, even though it was very cold and we had some rain. It was interesting as normally we are the slowest car but for some reason we were quicker than the Ferrari 355, a ford focus and a golf R32..... Although those KTM X-bows were mega fast.