Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Dec 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3343810)   #3151
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I love this speculation so I will jump in as well.

Overall, and as others have mentioned, I think this is about using CGI to wrap a different livery on the video they shot that day.

I think the small dot are registration marks. The "color palette" is not a proposed palette for the livery, but a rather a color correction palette (similar to what you would see bolted to the exterior on a Mars lander). I don't know the technical details, but while I think you can do that type of color correction from a known grey sample, I think having specific known colors makes it easier. Or easier when the lighting parameters are not controlled like they might be in a studio.

I can see two likely scenarios...

First, for sponsors who would like to see what a proposed livery would look like, they can see the car in motion, with color correctness, etc. but without having to physically paint the car. They can use this and they can also illustrate an infinite number of potential variations of livery under the same exact lighting scenarios. It would be great for A/B comparisons. Note how they shot video that did slow pans over the entire car so you can see the entire thing. I expect they also have a mixture of close up and distant shots. They could even use this to shop around for additional sponsors (here is what the car would look like with your logo, your color palette used in the livery...)

Second (and maybe in addition to the first), they can use this for future PR movies much like the one we just saw. Imagine one with a voice over of "we are moving from the garage to the track" and having the car change from the testing "dazzle camouflage" to a photo realistic livery, on the fly right before you eyes, but with such quality, that you can't even tell it was CGI. That same PR could be used by both Porsche as well as by whoever is the primary sponsor.

Richard
Old 13 Dec 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3343811)   #3152
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
...but a rather a color correction palette (similar to what you would see bolted to the exterior on a Mars lander).
Rotate this image 180 deg...

... does it look familar?

Color Checker Card

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 13 Dec 2013 at 20:08. Reason: Added link to Color Checker Card
Old 13 Dec 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3343813)   #3153
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Richard!

Hope this doesn't mean the Porsche's main colour will be Yellow Green (square nr. 11 on your image/in the wiki link) as it also features two big dots of that colour.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 20:34 (Ref:3343822)   #3154
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Purely speculation on my part, but I was thinking, now that Paul Di resta is out of a drive in F1 for 2014 what are the chances of him being recruited by Porsche to take up 1 of the remaining seats? Ok he hasnt got sportscar racing experince but he is a DTM Champion and to my mind has all the qualities for endurance racing. Your thoughts please..
Old 13 Dec 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3343829)   #3155
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
Purely speculation on my part, but I was thinking, now that Paul Di resta is out of a drive in F1 for 2014 what are the chances of him being recruited by Porsche to take up 1 of the remaining seats? Ok he hasnt got sportscar racing experince but he is a DTM Champion and to my mind has all the qualities for endurance racing. Your thoughts please..
a bit off topic but I think he is the last driver they need.......he will probably demoralize the team by publically saying to the press and TV crews (like he did for the past 3 years) that the team needs to build a faster car for him to get podiums......imagine if you were an engineer working 70 hour weeks in the force india factory and you hear your driver say that......really, I'm glad to see the back of him.....really I think he had a high opinion of himself, yes he is good, but in F1 you need to be brilliant, and he was only good......... I think he will now join the list of has-been F1 drivers, could perhaps be the next McNish if he changes his attitude.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3343832)   #3156
FxL
Rookie

FxL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@SALEEN S7R

I would imagine that Porsche wants to sign drivers for more than one season, whereas Paul could aim for a cockpit in F1 as soon as there is an opportunity (last month he said in an interview that he would do everything to stay in F1). Just speculation, but I'm not sure if this is what Porsche wants. Furthermore, you mentioned the lack of experience concerning endurance racing.

Last edited by FxL; 13 Dec 2013 at 21:13.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 21:19 (Ref:3343837)   #3157
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
a bit off topic but I think he is the last driver they need.......he will probably demoralize the team by publically saying to the press and TV crews (like he did for the past 3 years) that the team needs to build a faster car for him to get podiums......imagine if you were an engineer working 70 hour weeks in the force india factory and you hear your driver say that......really, I'm glad to see the back of him.....really I think he had a high opinion of himself, yes he is good, but in F1 you need to be brilliant, and he was only good......... I think he will now join the list of has-been F1 drivers, could perhaps be the next McNish if he changes his attitude.
I agree with some of what you said, namely that Di Resta can be a bit negative, although regarding his time at Force India I think a lot of his negativeity was largely justified. Force India all too often seemed to stop developing the car mid season and that can only be frustrating for a young driver. As for only being a good level of F1 driver, I wouldn't agree with that, he is a ex DTM Champion and some of the results he achieved in F1 in a sub standard car are pretty remarkable, the only reason he isn't in a Sauber or Lotus for 2014 is due to lack of funding rather than lack of pace, maybe he isnt a Alonso or Vettel, but he is certainly up there with the likes of Rosberg and Grosjean etc.

Anyway, I think i've dragged this thread off topic enough now, sorry guys!
Old 13 Dec 2013, 22:36 (Ref:3343849)   #3158
AFC-911
Racer

AFC-911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Color Checker Card

Richard

Nice job.

I've never used those in any of my shoots. And it's too early in the prototype development to be using any of this for promotional material.

There has to be another reason why they're using it.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 23:35 (Ref:3343858)   #3159
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
It is a common practice in printing to use these as it gives the printer a visual clue for making sure the correct color ink is getting put onto the paper. Often, they are put onto the border on the part of the page that will be trimmed away.

Old 14 Dec 2013, 09:43 (Ref:3343947)   #3160
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Color Checker Card

Richard
Good find Richard !
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3343961)   #3161
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
The idea that they'd then photoshop the car to show possible liveries sounds best imho. Not in a moving video, but just in still photos.

Applying CGI to that promo video and changing the livery sounds weird, because once the livery is finalized, they can immediately just shoot new real footage with it, so what exactly would be the point.

But still why did the RS Spyder "zero car" (borrowing rally term) had these same things?

Btw, the Porsche prize giving gala is today? Maybe some news coming.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3344065)   #3162
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
^ Or is it? I have no idea where did I get the date but I had written it down.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3344084)   #3163
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is.(sorry - no link or not quoted directly from any original source)
Old 14 Dec 2013, 22:18 (Ref:3344124)   #3164
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
According to https://twitter.com/RacecarEngineer the official designation is 919 Hybrid.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 22:19 (Ref:3344125)   #3165
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
919 Hybrid

Old 14 Dec 2013, 22:24 (Ref:3344128)   #3166
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I see Brendon Hartley and Marc Lieb in that photo... so we have all 6 full-season drivers confirmed.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3344131)   #3167
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I see Brendon Hartley and Marc Lieb in that photo... so we have all 6 full-season drivers confirmed.
According to @MarcOuayoun (Porsche France_DG) on Twitter, Marc is now a P1 driver, and Fred Mako is a Porsche Works GT Driver. So I guess Fred is replacing Marc.

Shame Webber isn't in the photo too; and a shame they are splitting the Lieb & Lietz driver pairing.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3344133)   #3168
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chuffed for Brendon, shame it didn't work out for him in single seaters but he is definateley a Sportscar legend in the making.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3344135)   #3169
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Shame Webber isn't in the photo too
They're gonna set up a group photo in January almost certainly, once Webber doesn't have a contract with Red Bull Racing any longer.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 22:36 (Ref:3344136)   #3170
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
Quote:
They're gonna set up a group photo in January almost certainly, once Webber doesn't have a contract with Red Bull Racing any longer.
Thought they released him straight after the race in Brazil?
Old 14 Dec 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3344137)   #3171
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Thought they released him straight after the race in Brazil?
Not fully, since he tested the car in plain white unsponsored overalls this month.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 22:44 (Ref:3344141)   #3172
FxL
Rookie

FxL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark will be an offical porsche works driver as of January 1, 2014. He still has a valid contract with Red Bull.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3344151)   #3173
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Four days ago:

"Webber, who announced his move to the WEC this past summer and closed out his F1 career with a runner-up in Brazil last month, was given permission to do the test by Red Bull, which still has him under contract until Jan. 1, 2014.

“My first day in this fascinating project was an intense experience for me,” said Webber after his run at the Autodromo Internacional do Algarve in Portugal. “I would like to thank Red Bull Racing for giving me the chance to join the project so early."

The article:
http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...portugal-test/

jimclark
Old 14 Dec 2013, 23:25 (Ref:3344153)   #3174
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Shame Webber isn't in the photo too; and a shame they are splitting the Lieb & Lietz driver pairing.
Quote:
Webber is also attending the presentation. I've got a picture showing him on stage with his five teammates (can't share it though as I have no formal permission to use it). He is not wearing Porsche overalls however as he is still under contract with RB until the end of the year.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 23:41 (Ref:3344156)   #3175
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Webber is also attending the presentation. I've got a picture showing him on stage with his five teammates (can't share it though as I have no formal permission to use it). He is not wearing Porsche overalls however as he is still under contract with RB until the end of the year.
Here you go (it's been posted elsewhere already ):