Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Jan 2006, 00:19 (Ref:1494477)   #1
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two Circuit Questions

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering whether anyone has any information on the proposed New York Grand Prix in 1983 I believe (please, correct me if i'm wrong). What the situation was etc, did it get on the calendar, and whether there was a continual story up untill it got replaced.

And, why was one year the Monaco pit-lane placed just beyond the Nouvelle Chicane?

Many Thanks

Paul
Old 4 Jan 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1494661)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Paul, I think I can answer the second question, from Alex Rollo's book, 'The Monaco Grand Prix'. There were significant changes made to the circuit for 1972 and one of them was to move the pits from behind the Gasworks area to beyond the chicane. This allowed more room for the mechanics to work and was altogether an improvement. However, it did not go down well with the paying spectators, and following the 1972 race, further redevelopment of the circuit saw the pits area occupying 'the old road from Tabac to the Gasworks Hairpin' for 1973.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1494747)   #3
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering whether anyone has any information on the proposed New York Grand Prix in 1983 I believe (please, correct me if i'm wrong). What the situation was etc, did it get on the calendar, and whether there was a continual story up untill it got replaced.

Paul
I believe it was on the calendar at some stage 3 years running-83-85? Political problems meant it never happened.I recall a TV in car film of the circuit which was in a park and included a hump back bridge.10yrs later CART scheduled a race around the World Trade Centrer,and this suffered the same problems.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1494772)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
I believe it was on the calendar at some stage 3 years running-83-85? Political problems meant it never happened.I recall a TV in car film of the circuit which was in a park and included a hump back bridge.10yrs later CART scheduled a race around the World Trade Centrer,and this suffered the same problems.
Flushing Meadow.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1495143)   #5
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Paul, I think I can answer the second question, from Alex Rollo's book, 'The Monaco Grand Prix'. There were significant changes made to the circuit for 1972 and one of them was to move the pits from behind the Gasworks area to beyond the chicane. This allowed more room for the mechanics to work and was altogether an improvement. However, it did not go down well with the paying spectators, and following the 1972 race, further redevelopment of the circuit saw the pits area occupying 'the old road from Tabac to the Gasworks Hairpin' for 1973.
Thankyou very much John, I was very intrigued to see it on a racingcircuits.net map, and had never seen any images of a different pitlane. Thanks very much for that John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Many thanks to you also Rob, I was particularly puzzled in regards to hearing that it was on the calendar for mumorous years. A hump back bridge, wow that's pretty crazy - I think i've seen a map of the circuit, next to the tennis stadium?

PAUL
Old 5 Jan 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1495308)   #6
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Quote:
Thankyou very much John, I was very intrigued to see it on a racingcircuits.net map, and had never seen any images of a different pitlane. Thanks very much for that John.

Many thanks to you also Rob, I was particularly puzzled in regards to hearing that it was on the calendar for mumorous years. A hump back bridge, wow that's pretty crazy - I think i've seen a map of the circuit, next to the tennis stadium?

PAUL
Hi Paul.Not sure I am allowed to mention the other place where history is discussed but there is an italian guy who posts there and has detailed this history of cancellations in F1.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 09:39 (Ref:1495326)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rob, you can paste a link in if it takes us direct to the thread discussing the subject which is also being discussed here.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1495383)   #8
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Hi Rob,

I believe the gentleman you are talking about is Guido de Carli? (sp? if he reads this, apologies if I have mispelt your name?)

He has been very helpful on other matters before, so please - if possible could you post the link.

Many thanks mate.

Paul
Old 5 Jan 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1495413)   #9
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Quote:
Hi Rob,

I believe the gentleman you are talking about is Guido de Carli? (sp? if he reads this, apologies if I have mispelt your name?)

He has been very helpful on other matters before, so please - if possible could you post the link.

Many thanks mate.

Paul
http://forums.autosport.com/showthre...ork+Grand+Prix

Hope that works.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1495464)   #10
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Thanks mate!

Paul