Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 6 Dec 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1783279)   #1
ISPL
Rookie

United Kingdom
ISPL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Richard Lyons make a difference to Ireland

So far this season team Ireland have been widely regarded as the biggest disappointment. After a very promising start to A1GP last year they have completely dropped of the pace this season.

Will Richard Lyons be able to turn their season around?
Old 6 Dec 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1783459)   #2
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not really been the drivers fault why they have been doing so badly. More than anything they need change of luck not driver, unless richard is bringing some with him.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1783483)   #3
karting legend
Rookie

karting legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving is one thing, but you must be able to give information back to your engineer.Richard will most likely have to a lot off runs to do this, but i am sure he will find out what is wrong.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1783501)   #4
ISPL
Rookie

United Kingdom
ISPL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
More than anything they need change of luck not driver, unless richard is bringing some with him.
Luck of the Irish.............no pun intended!
Old 7 Dec 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1784428)   #5
gio
Retired
Rookie

gio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lyons won't make any differance. It's not the drivers that are our problem, it's the team!

What's the story with Lyons racing for Ireland anyways? Last time I saw him race, he had a Union Jack emblazoned across his helmet! That was some years back but I still remember his overalls in nippon and GT's sporting a similar flag. Not good enough to get a drive with Team GBR so he had to play the granny card, similar to Ralph Firman I would say. At least Firman had the decency to have a shamrock on his lid!!!!
Old 7 Dec 2006, 22:21 (Ref:1784506)   #6
kdempsey
Rookie

Ireland
kdempsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He Shouldn't Be Driving For Ireland!!!!

I think it is a joke that lyons is driving for ireland, they should change the team not the driver as last year Devaney was very impressive for the little running he got in the car!! I think the engineer has lost his way with the car or something or maybe lost interest in Team Ireland now that Ralf has gone.
Lyons has never race under the IRISH FLAG before so why now???

I think they should call it the UK (B) team for the weekend!!!!

Last edited by kdempsey; 7 Dec 2006 at 22:28.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1784507)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I think Lyons will make a differnce, how big a differnce however is hard to say. Michael Devaney seems ok but nothing special to me, a couple of decent seasons of German F3 is one thing but Lyons is a former Formula Nippon champion and whilst Formula Nippon isnt as well known over here in Europe the series is very competitve with some very fast drivers. I think Lyons will push the team forward.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1785733)   #8
steve28
Rookie

steve28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see that devaney was not the problem, he proved that last year. lyons struggled a lot more than he ever did, p18 for a former nippon champion says a lot about the performances devaney has put in with an uncompetitive car in the past races.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1785765)   #9
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdempsey
Lyons has never race under the IRISH FLAG before so why now???
For some reason, in A1GP terms the Irish team represents both the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland, so Lyons is technically eligible to race for the Irish team.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1785857)   #10
kdempsey
Rookie

Ireland
kdempsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
For some reason, in A1GP terms the Irish team represents both the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland, so Lyons is technically eligible to race for the Irish team.
Yeah he made a huge difference anyway...gone backwards now...
Proves my point that Devaney WASN'T the problem..
Old 9 Dec 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1785920)   #11
karting legend
Rookie

Some people seem to have it in for Lyons. Who cares what side of Ireland he comes from ? Surely this should be about trying to get Team Ireland moving forward. Richard Lyons has had a very short time to get to know the car and no doubt he will be wanting to try various changes to the set-up. Unfortunately not all of these changes will make the car go quicker. There may be a certain amount of trial and error. He doesn't have a magic wand but he is prepared to use his experience to try to benefit the team.So let's support Team Ireland and hope that they can sort out some of the problems this week-end.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1785922)   #12
Point-5
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Point-5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ireland Sentul 2005 - 2m35.6s

Ireland Sentul 2006 - 2m35.6s

Looks like we've just been left behind by everyone else!

Problem has to be a combination of team/drivers! Personally speaking I think its the drivers, they're all thats changed since last year.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1785923)   #13
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The British team is Team GBR, not team UK, so Lyons at Ireland is right.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1785968)   #14
Kershaw
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Kershaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, 3 drivers so far have gone out in that car and not one has posted a top ten time.... and some of you say its the drivers!!
Whatever about Lyons being in the car, with all his experience I would have thought he would at least qualify in fringes of top 10.
Its defo the team or else the attitude of the team to developing the car.

18th is really really poor. Just shows how far up the grid Devaney managed to haul the car so far.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1785980)   #15
karting legend
Rookie

Interesting the times last year and this year,most cars are the same speed on the straight, most time this year comes from extra corner speed, ie new tarmac improved circuit and different time off year.Ireland car this year quicker on corners but down the straight 5k slower this can be down to a number off factors wings, engine diff, tyres etc etc etc so it could be difficult just to pin point what the problems are. drivers i am so sure it could be hard for richard to find out what direction to go in such a small space off time.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1785984)   #16
Kershaw
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
The Irish car has been slow down the straights in every race this year. Even in the wet, compared to the other cars.
Instead of changing the drivers why dont they have a go at changing chief engineer. He is just as respnsible for the lack of pace as any driver. Time to give him the big heave-ho and try someone new.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1785988)   #17
Athgoe Racing
Racer

Athgoe Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 3 Irish drivers are well capable of getting into the top ten. So they have a problem Not a driver problem, not a chassis problem (as this has been fixed).Ok so whats left? Engine!, Gearbox/drivetrain! and Setup! or something the other teams have found and the scruts can't keep up to date with. Looking at quilifying today the drivers are not great ok the top 4 drove well but after that the rest were missing apex's and very untidy. Bottom line they need to get data from one of the top teams.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 05:15 (Ref:1786322)   #18
steve28
Rookie

steve28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point-5

Problem has to be a combination of team/drivers! Personally speaking I think its the drivers, they're all thats changed since last year.
Actually looking at last years results devaney drove last year in australia and china and qualified 6th for both and finish 4th in both sprint races. They were irelands best finishes of the year in the sprint races and he just stepped in the car to sub for firman with no testing and not driving a car like this before. Lyons has drove the same car for many years in nippon so getting used to the car is not a problem for him.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1786733)   #19
nikimere
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
nikimere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting legend
drivers i am so sure it could be hard for richard to find out what direction to go in such a small space off time.
Thats ! Devaney was given the same amount of time last year in Australia and he finished 4th.
Lyons isn't a bad driver and is capable of alot better that 17th! The car or team is the problem, now lets see if anyone in there actually has the balls to put their foot down and do something about it. Maybe try a new engineer next race, see how Team Ireland goes then!

Last edited by Asp; 10 Dec 2006 at 17:40. Reason: Auto-censor dodge
Old 10 Dec 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1786845)   #20
karting legend
Rookie

Richard drove very well for Team Ireland ,putting in the 6th fastest lap he would have finished a lot higher only for the bad pit stops just look at the time he lost in pits (A1 pit stop analysis).
Old 10 Dec 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1786854)   #21
Kershaw
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
So let me see, hmmm 17th in the dry, with no pit stops so there is no excuse there, .... runs near last in the wet, and gets to 15th in the damp. And he is the 3rd driver in the car this year. Its definitely a team problem, it needs a big clearout and some fresh talent brought in, or we will still be last 5 by year end.
Lyons is a good pilot, as is Devaney and O Hara as all have won at International single seater level in their respective careers, but funny none of them can get a car run by that particular bunch of people to a top 10 finish.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1786984)   #22
karting legend
Rookie

Sorry Mr Kershaw i dont follow 15th in the damp, just look at his lap times 6th fastest look at time lost in pit Irl 2mins.52 Nzl 1min.10 just think he should have been7/8th not 12/13th i agree the team seems to be weak at the moment.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1787114)   #23
Kershaw
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Quote:
look at time lost in pit
And you are trying to tell me its not a team problem!!

The team do pitlane. Not the driver, so if he lost up to a minute I blame the team. Still. Everything points to them, the lack of pace, the lost pit time.. If Devaney was able to drive that car last year then why all of a sudden can he not?? Has he forgotten? Has Lyons forgotten??
12 of my friends went to Zandvoort this year, they sat opp the pits for most of the weekend, and while most or all teams practiced pitstops, the Irish team sat on their arses, also they informed me that you could spot the Irish garage a mile away as it had lots of hangers on just hanging around. The other garages had just the mechanics and essential people.
They are quite quick to replace the drivers, but i think now its time to look elsewhere.

Ps Im not in disagreement with you about Lyons being in the car, either Devaney or Lyons are capable of winning, but not, it seems, in that pile.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1787175)   #24
Athgoe Racing
Racer

Athgoe Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Irish team were off over 2 sec every lap of the feature race and were pulling 262.9 in a straight line top speed. only 1 or 2 up on Ireland but the top cars were under Ireland in a straight line. So looks like the Engine/Gearbox/Drivetrain are all running fine. So it looks like its set up.
The team needs a big shake up or i can see the team gone before the season is finished.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1787694)   #25
gio
Retired
Rookie

gio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see on crash.net that Lyons reckoned a strong top ten was on the cards until Ireland ****ed up a pitstop. See, useless lazy ******* team!!

With regards Lyons, A1GP is all about following your nation, being patriotic and all that ****. How can we support a guy who has always raced with a union jack beside his name? Now I'm happy that we're finishing in the lower half of the field. Long may it continue until Devaney is reinstated!