Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 May 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2884316)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
DRS ban in Monaco tunnel?

The FIA are now considering banning the DRS in just the tunnel area of the circuit. Decision in next 24 hours.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91665
Old 23 May 2011, 09:47 (Ref:2884325)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A ban would be wrong as no one is forcing the drivers to use the DRS in the tunnel.

If a driver is confident he has the car control and courage to use the DRS in the tunnel he should have the right to do so, not be restricted by several other drivers whining it's too dangerous.

Just my non-PC opinion, of course.
Old 23 May 2011, 10:26 (Ref:2884349)   #3
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
A ban would be wrong as no one is forcing the drivers to use the DRS in the tunnel.

If a driver is confident he has the car control and courage to use the DRS in the tunnel he should have the right to do so, not be restricted by several other drivers whining it's too dangerous.

Completely agree. If one team has a better system/car that allows them to use it then they should be allowed to, banning every body because some cars cant cope isn't the right approach.
Old 23 May 2011, 11:18 (Ref:2884373)   #4
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, they should be allowed to use these devices, these guys are the best drivers in the world. But......

My concern with using DRS or indeed KERS in the tunnel would be the potential for two cars running and considerably different speeds coming together.

I think everyone remembers quite how high Mark Webber managed to get his Redbull trying to pass Kovalianen, imagine that happening in a confined space like the tunnel.
Old 23 May 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2884384)   #5
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Totally agree. Let the drivers find the limits of what they've got, and adapt accordingly. If I was running F1 I'd remove the wings altogether and stick on wider tyres, then see who's really got the talent through high speed corners. Some of the 'safety' developments have neutered the sport so much that on the modern F1 circuits we may as well be watching a virtual race, such is the lack of danger involved now, while running wide onto acres of tarmac runoff means bad driving is no longer penalised (except in tedious steward room decisions).

Before people start crowing, I am in favour of sensible safety evolutions, and would never advocate going back to the lax attitudes of the 60s/70s, but part of the very appeal of motor racing has always been that these guys are supposed to be heroes, doing something the average person wouldn't have the balls to do. I'm tired of today's whining drivers destroying the very appeal of the sport. Ecclestone, Tilke and co have already done enough of that.
Old 23 May 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2884406)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Unfortunately, I think that the mould is already set. I don't think that F1 can afford to broadcast on TV something that some drivers think will inevitably happen. The 'We told you so' camp would have a field day, as would the media.
Old 23 May 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2884409)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, let them use it wherever they want it ! That would be much more fun to watch.
Old 23 May 2011, 17:15 (Ref:2884598)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Wow, I mean, could it be? Drivers having to control the rear of the car? A car moving around in a fast corner? Give me back the turbo days when the cars were sliding around at the rear for most of the lap.
Old 23 May 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2884608)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
With you there, Sodemo.

Again, i'm not one of these people saying "yeeeeah let's make it all dangerous again". We're so much better equiped now then we were 25 years ago as far as safety goes. That's not to say "stop now", but c'mon. These drivers earn a helluva lot of money. The sport's never, ever been safer.

You must earn your, bucks Let the DRS be, I say.

Selby
Old 23 May 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2884616)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I have to agree with you there about drivers finding the limits. But the main difference here is that the DRS is either off or on, there is no adjustment in between. And so what might be near the limit with the wing in the up position, may be well over the limit with it in the down position.

IMO, we've already gone passed the point where the 'I told you so's' have made it almost impossible for it to be used in the tunnel.
Old 23 May 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2884618)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Correct me if i'm wrong, but couldn't a simulation work that bit out?

Surely they have enough technology to replicate it

Selby
Old 23 May 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2884620)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post

Selby
Yes, now we have robots doing what drivers used to do. I'd forgotten about that.

But I would doubt that any simulation could simulate the actual grip levels in the Monaco tunnel at any given time.
Old 23 May 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2884621)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post

Selby
Exactly !
Old 23 May 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2884669)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What happens when a car gets worn rear tyres? Do we ban worn rear tyres at Monaco too? Toyota ran a race (I forget what year - maybe 2006) where they ate their rear tyres and couldn't put the power down to save their lives, or was it Renault?
Old 23 May 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2884678)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What happens when a car gets worn rear tyres? Do we ban worn rear tyres at Monaco too? Toyota ran a race (I forget what year - maybe 2006) where they ate their rear tyres and couldn't put the power down to save their lives, or was it Renault?
T'was Renault, 2005.

Worn tyres will usually give the driver some subtle indication of impending doom. Operating the DRS in a low grip situation would probably be more akin to losing a wheel (See Sutil spin, Australia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NzfXZMf0-0).

Last edited by Marbot; 23 May 2011 at 19:13.
Old 24 May 2011, 00:43 (Ref:2884860)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
DRS banned for Monaco tunnel.

"I would love the people at the top to sit in the car and try to do the tunnel with the DRS open," Rubens Barrichello said in Spain.

"In my opinion, they are waiting for something bad to happen. And when it happens, they will just say, 'oh, next year we will not have it for Monaco.'"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91681
Old 24 May 2011, 00:56 (Ref:2884862)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Ok, let them use it wherever they want it ! That would be much more fun to watch.

Brilliant... I think we should run the FIA...
Old 24 May 2011, 07:05 (Ref:2884963)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
DRS banned for Monaco tunnel.

"I would love the people at the top to sit in the car and try to do the tunnel with the DRS open," Rubens Barrichello said in Spain.

"In my opinion, they are waiting for something bad to happen. And when it happens, they will just say, 'oh, next year we will not have it for Monaco.'"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91681
Boo.

Would have been interesting to hear what Vettel or Hamilton thought about the issue as opposed to F1's biggest wine importer.
Old 24 May 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2884968)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Boo.

Would have been interesting to hear what Vettel or Hamilton thought about the issue as opposed to F1's biggest wine importer.
AFAIK the "majority" of drivers were against its use in the tunnel.

You are flicking a switch that turns down force 'off' on a corner.

It doesn't seem like it's going to have much of an effect, anyway.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/169481/...in_monaco.html
Old 24 May 2011, 11:14 (Ref:2885097)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

"Lots of overtaking in Monaco"... makes me remind of Senna.
Old 24 May 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2885128)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
"Lots of overtaking in Monaco"... makes me remind of Senna.
Depends on who's doing the overtaking.
Old 25 May 2011, 13:31 (Ref:2885719)   #22
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There's other problems with the track:

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/49574.html