Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 25 May 2011, 09:51 (Ref:2885637)   #201
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
LOOK AT THIS ARTICLE.

Two uses of the phrase "The Italian Squad".

I am composing a letter to the Daily Mail forthwith! I don't know if for racism or borderline plagiarism of 'The Italian Job'. Vote for my outrage.
Old 25 May 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2885643)   #202
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
LOOK AT THIS ARTICLE.

Two uses of the phrase "The Italian Squad".

I am composing a letter to the Daily Mail forthwith! I don't know if for racism or borderline plagiarism of 'The Italian Job'. Vote for my outrage.
I'm with you here Knowlesy, The (Original) Italian Job is my favourite film of all time...
Old 25 May 2011, 10:35 (Ref:2885655)   #203
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm getting tired of people misusing the term racism for everything they don't agree with.

A nationality is not a race.
German is a nationality.

Therefore anything negative concerning Germans and the like is not racism, but xenophobia.

Learn the difference.
Old 25 May 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2885657)   #204
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
I'm getting tired of people misusing the term racism for everything they don't agree with.

A nationality is not a race.
German is a nationality.

Therefore anything negative concerning Germans and the like is not racism, but xenophobia.

Learn the difference.
So racist would be "The White-Caucasian Fella" ?

Old 25 May 2011, 11:00 (Ref:2885665)   #205
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Irish are bad for that. Mention potatoes in any context and you are a racist.

Duh, I'm merely xenophobic you douchebag!
Old 25 May 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2885693)   #206
boyracer019
Rookie

boyracer019 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear BBC / ITV / Kangaroo / Sky etc

I was sitting at home watching the Idiot Lantern waiting to be offended and what do you know - something happened that in my tiny warped and disturbed mind I decided I was offended at. My cat who was watching with me said that he agrees

For the Love of it all - if you want to be offended you can and will be.

TGF - That German Fellow / The Grand Fromage etc is a tearm of endearment. There is nothing even remotly offensive in it.

F**K
C**T
N****R

3 words which, when used in a certain context, are designed to get a response.
3 words which, when used in a certain context, are tearms of endearment

If you want to be offended by any and everything in this life - go for it, but stop trying to tell me what I should be upset about.

Thought for the day - now I have stepped away from my rant

Religion is like a Penis
It is good to have one
It is good to be proud of it
Please do not show it in public and do not try to stick it down my childs throat

Last edited by boyracer019; 25 May 2011 at 12:17. Reason: Over zealous auto language edit - on this occasion it was necessary to get the point over
Old 25 May 2011, 12:21 (Ref:2885695)   #207
Massa_number1
Racer

Massa_number1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it doesnt offend me nor do i think its offensive but I will state that looking around on the Internet on various F1 sites that allow users to post comments on articles the amount of hate for Schumacher is really bad its alot more than any other driver on the grid

I just dont understand the double standards really there have been some shocking f1 scandals such as Piquet crashing on purpose yet you would think schumacher has killed 10 drivers in his career or somthing so what that he drives on the limit of the rules yes he has gone too far a few times but these are racing incidents its not like he went into hakkinens motorhome and stabbed him in the heart with a suspension rod

stop the hate let it go people let it go
Old 25 May 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2885727)   #208
Louis Agilais
Racer

Louis Agilais is a back marker
Well, ASCII Man, you go read my previous comments on the thread (namely #187 and $190), you'll see that my use of racism is the xenofobic sense - which is just as wrong.

By Knowlesy:

Quote:
I sincerely hope I am not being considered racist here for the use of an unoffensive acronym.
you're being considered xenofobic (which is considered as negative as racism by the United Nations: Universal Declaration of Human Rights).

As for the other comments, [sigh]

I was clear on my last comment, I think. I confess that when I was writing it I hesitated (they're going to think I'm calling them stupid, if I put this clearer). I ended up just using the example of the BBC, which is clear and not insulting.

I assume that VIVA GT didn't read it with attention, because I use two examples, both use the nationality (German), but one refers to the name of the driver first and then informs the viewer of his nationality (and then I put "this is OK, correct, used by Murray Walker"

Quote:
"Michael Schumacher is going to start this GP from 10th place on the grid. The German driver has had a bad qualifying..." -> this is ok, correct, and it's how it's usually done
and then I put the form used here by some posters, which uses the nationality instead of the name, making the hidden assumption that nationality defines the man (hence the xenofobia):

Quote:
"From 10th place is going to start The German Fellow, who's had a bad qualifyng..." -> this is wrong, and I'm willing to bet you don't hear that on the BBC, because the commentator that would do that, wouldn't stay for long.
it' more than clear now. if you want to continue to use it, be my guest, it's your choice, and after all this is just an internet forum, right, not the BBC.

My aim here is not to change the ones who are doing this on purpose (I have the feeling they won't be changed by words), but if one of the posters who were doing it innocently without realizing how insulting and xenofobic this is stops doing it, it will be worth.

As for the jokes (or attempts):
A squad is not a man.

Cheers
Old 25 May 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2885731)   #209
Louis Agilais
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massa_number1 View Post
but I will state that looking around on the Internet on various F1 sites that allow users to post comments on articles the amount of hate for Schumacher is really bad its alot more than any other driver on the grid

I just dont understand the double standards really
Well, Massa_number1, for me it's really a fascinating phenomenon. I'm only sorry that sociology is not an exact science, so we can never be sure of the reasons to why this is like this. We can only produce opinions, form theorys. The one to which I fell closer is the sucess of the man (a bit of envy in the middle, not only why can't I be like that but also why can't my Driver (the one I support) be like that). But on the other hand, we have the other example of a sportsman that in his field was as sucessfull: Michael Jordan. I didn't follow Jordan's career this closely but I don't sense towards him this kind of hate.. So, shortsaying, we're back to the beginning.

It's fascinating, though.
Old 25 May 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2885745)   #210
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

There isn't any more hatred for Schumacher than any other driver. In fact, I always considered him rather popular. Especially in the UK. He's not totally unlikeable.

Another common misconception is that everybody loves Lewis Hamilton, but I can't honestly say I have seen a driver divide opinion so much.
Old 25 May 2011, 15:33 (Ref:2885753)   #211
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
There isn't any more hatred for Schumacher than any other driver. In fact, I always considered him rather popular. Especially in the UK. He's not totally unlikeable.
Agreed. The Top Gear "Stig" interview he did, i found him to be a totally down to earth, likeable guy, although he had seemed to mellow abit between that time and when he'd stopped in F1.

Quote:
Another common misconception is that everybody loves Lewis Hamilton, but I can't honestly say I have seen a driver divide opinion so much.
Agreed again. For whatever reason Lewis seems to be love or loathe. I honestly don't know what it is about him, but i'm in the latter catergory and i don't know why?
Old 25 May 2011, 16:39 (Ref:2885772)   #212
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Agilais View Post
Well, ASCII Man, you go read my previous comments on the thread (namely #187 and $190), you'll see that my use of racism is the xenofobic sense - which is just as wrong.
No thanks, if I wanted to read drivel I'd go read James Allens' book.
Old 25 May 2011, 16:50 (Ref:2885777)   #213
Louis Agilais
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Agreed again. For whatever reason Lewis seems to be love or loathe. I honestly don't know what it is about him, but i'm in the latter catergory and i don't know why?
Yep, he seems to be also one of these cases. At least in LH's case, I think I can pinpoint what bugs me about him: The recurring comparations he does between himself and Ayrton Senna. I mean, it just seems a bit of bad taste.. even if you think you are Ayrton's reincarnation, at least keep that to yourself, right?.. Or secretly hope that the media will do the comparations for you.. if it is true, it will happen. And to worsen the things, he chooses one of the Giants, if not The Giant..

"oh, I'm very happy to have won here, you see, Ayrton, my idol, also won here at Monaco and in the wet"
"oh, I can't believe I'm gonna be able to race at Suzuka.. that chicane where Ayrton and Prost collided..."

there are many more quotes like these (and these are not accurate, they're from memory, but the meaning is not changed).
At least, it seems recently someone warned him this kind of declarations don't look good and he's not doing them anymore.

Well, as you can see it's just a small issue, and has nothing to do with driving. Is this the reason I don't particularly appreciate Lewis? Not sure, but I tell myself that.

I tend to like, appreciate and support the better drivers and better persons, I can recognize Lewis' skill, considering him as top 3 on, maybe, the best-quality-grid-of-all-times (the grid from nowadays) and predict he will be world champion again (and probably reach the famous 3-time-WDC-that-assures-you-that-place-amongst-the-all-time-bests) but at the same time I don't usually find myself rooting for him (China this year was maybe an exception). Why? Just one of those things, I guess
Old 25 May 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2885780)   #214
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I think half the time Lewis is on the windup, which will always either grate or amuse.
Old 25 May 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2885782)   #215
Louis Agilais
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
No thanks, if I wanted to read drivel I'd go read James Allens' book.
so, you are not willing to read drivel, but at the same time you comment about it. I mean, am I missing something here? How do you do it? How do you talk about something you didn't even read?

Actually, please, don't bother to answer, I do know the reason.
Old 25 May 2011, 19:39 (Ref:2885843)   #216
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
reminds me of another driver who drove into someone at 150mph to secure a title .....
I agree, the most disgusting piece of driving I have ever witnessed.

Quote:
special even?
Without doubt, which is why I loved the fact he was at Ferrari and dominating so much. I hate Mclaren and hated Senna driving there, how I wished he'd signed for Ferrari, sadly not to be...
But for all his incredible success and records, his non-acceptance of a quality team-mate who could fight him, left a sour taste in my mouth. It always raised the question, how good could he have truly been if pushed properly.

Personally, I don't believe Rosberg is a great driver and it's sad to see him beating Schumi so easily,, but it raises the question that maybe Schumi deciding on his team-mate was actually more important than we realised.
After all, this was the man who had written in his Benetton contract that if they ever signed Senna, he could leave....

Quote:
I dont know of this journalist
A famous journalist within the British media. He would probably be better known as the co-driver for Stirling Moss's 1955 Mille Miglia victory
Old 25 May 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2885846)   #217
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
For whatever reason Lewis seems to be love or loathe. I honestly don't know what it is about him, but i'm in the latter catergory and i don't know why?
I agree about the Senna comments, and several others where he's claimed to be the best in the rain, this being due to a Mclaren that heated up it wet weather rubber in 2008 properly.
Personally I think alot of the animosity towards Lewis is because of the Ron Dennis patronage. I don't think Dennis was particularly liked by the public, and probably many journalists, but Lewis has strode straight in to one of the top teams. He has served no apprenticeship and I think this to a degree rankles. At no stage has any driver ever walked into a championship winning team
Old 25 May 2011, 20:30 (Ref:2885867)   #218
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm afraid that this thread has been seriously derailed and people are a little hot under the collar.

Feel free to open a new thread to discuss the intriguing battle between these two team mates. Although perhaps after a little break.

Thanks