Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Apr 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3390288)   #2926
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
Talking about the schedule, has anyone ever been to the 6 hour race at Watkins Glen. I might be in NYC right before that and thinking of taking an extended weekend and going to that race. Experiences? It it worth it?

Sorry for asking questions again.
I have never been, but I would jump on the chance if it presented itself.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3390295)   #2927
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Best time of the year to be in upstate new York, classic track, real endurance event ... don't see any serious downsides.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 00:01 (Ref:3390372)   #2928
Bicknell55
Rookie

United States
Lancaster, PA
Bicknell55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been going since 2008 or so and have always enjoyed myself. The surrounding area is wonderful that time of year. The track is quite accessible by foot and car, though I imagine the crowds will be significantly larger this year. Not sure how familiar you are with the area but WGI is nowhere near NYC. If you're planning on finding a hotel I wish you good luck as most everything is booked at this time. What is left is quite pricey.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3390519)   #2929
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
Talking about the schedule, has anyone ever been to the 6 hour race at Watkins Glen. I might be in NYC right before that and thinking of taking an extended weekend and going to that race. Experiences? It it worth it?

Sorry for asking questions again.

It's a REAL track and many great viewing areas. The surrounding area actually supports it! (Brownie and cub scouts used to 'man' the concessions, VFW and Elks sold the Genny) Back in the F1 days 100,000 was only a little crowded, during the GA days all 10 spectators left plenty of room and motels were available as close as Horseheads. I'd count on 4 - 5 hours from the city - pretty drive.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 02:53 (Ref:3391783)   #2930
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you seen the Laguna track schedule yet for the TUSK week? It is on the Laguna Seca track site. Interesting to point out is that even though the red and blue classes are running separate races, all 4 classes will be running the practice sessions together.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 03:28 (Ref:3391794)   #2931
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remember a few weeks ago when I brought up that a big Florida team might be kinda annoyed with the series?

Sounds like Laguna might be their breaking point.....
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 13 Apr 2014, 04:44 (Ref:3391820)   #2932
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Remember a few weeks ago when I brought up that a big Florida team might be kinda annoyed with the series?

Sounds like Laguna might be their breaking point.....
If its ESM you are talking about and I think you are. My opinion on them is that they just have not gotten the grasp of racing LMP2 cars. I think they should have never left GTE.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 05:24 (Ref:3391829)   #2933
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
If its ESM you are talking about and I think you are. My opinion on them is that they just have not gotten the grasp of racing LMP2 cars. I think they should have never left GTE.
While the engineering is different, kinda, racing is racing.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 13 Apr 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3391902)   #2934
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Did they ever really get the grip of racing GTE either? They took on a big challenge up against all the factories admittedly.

Long Beach favoured DPs, as it should have done. A green race at Laguna should probably hand a slight advantage to the P2s. But I'd still bet on Oak ahead of ESM (but be delighted to be proven wrong).
Old 13 Apr 2014, 13:21 (Ref:3391938)   #2935
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Did they ever really get the grip of racing GTE either? They took on a big challenge up against all the factories admittedly.

Long Beach favoured DPs, as it should have done. A green race at Laguna should probably hand a slight advantage to the P2s. But I'd still bet on Oak ahead of ESM (but be delighted to be proven wrong).
Well, they did win a little race called Petit Le Mans 2 years ago so that's gotta be worth something
Old 13 Apr 2014, 13:34 (Ref:3391944)   #2936
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Touché
Old 13 Apr 2014, 16:05 (Ref:3391999)   #2937
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Did you watch the Sebring race?
Old 13 Apr 2014, 20:23 (Ref:3392075)   #2938
jasonjessica09
Veteran

I am thinking at this point that the entry list for Laguna seca will be the Long Beach field plus the Delta Wing (anybody miss them?) and the Krohn Ferrari.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 00:28 (Ref:3392592)   #2939
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ESM will be at Laguna Seca and will only go on leave if IMSA pulls a NASCAR trick there(give DP more downforce/HP or stupid call/late FCY).

And most likely will race somewhere else next year because IMSA is happy with this BOP(DP wins all the time to keep GM and Ford happy).
Old 15 Apr 2014, 02:04 (Ref:3392607)   #2940
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post
ESM will be at Laguna Seca and will only go on leave if IMSA pulls a NASCAR trick there(give DP more downforce/HP or stupid call/late FCY).

And most likely will race somewhere else next year because IMSA is happy with this BOP(DP wins all the time to keep GM and Ford happy).
So basically they are going to leave unless the series guarantees a P2 victory?
Old 15 Apr 2014, 03:10 (Ref:3392614)   #2941
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Pretty much sounds about right! I tell you the whole ford/ecoboost deal just seems fishy to me.......

Has esm/hpd mentioned anything over the bop adjustment to the fords boost pressure to “compensate for atmospheric pressure at sea level” while the hpd got nothing,or is it because the hpd is maxed out for power as been rumored here? Either way that bop adjustment seemed odd to me.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 03:33 (Ref:3392616)   #2942
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:

Right, it's going to come down to BoP which only benefited the race winning DP on Saturday.

It will likely be their last straw. If they don't get some improvement in BoP one way or the other, my understanding is they will walk for the remainder of the season in TUSC at least.

Four of the five races could be made, they could contend for the championship...and promote Patron overseas...in the ELMS.

Seems like it's not too far fetched.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 03:45 (Ref:3392619)   #2943
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Best time of the year to be in upstate new York, classic track, real endurance event ... don't see any serious downsides.
...except for all those reasons you have earlier provided about the series.

The track, upstate New York and the history are all there and are all pluses.

M, just because it is in your backyard and home track doesn't mean you can recant. Remember what show is coming to town.

How would you honestly describe the potential of the experience in 2014?
Old 15 Apr 2014, 04:20 (Ref:3392622)   #2944
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
So basically they are going to leave unless the series guarantees a P2 victory?
First ESM shouldn't even be racing TUSCC because they have a gentleman racer/owner in one car and they really can't BOP the DP and P2 fairly because they were built to two different rules.ELMS or WEC is a better place for them.

To make it close they need to take about 70hp from the DP or let the P2 run Mi tires...neither will happen.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 04:26 (Ref:3392623)   #2945
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Pretty much sounds about right! I tell you the whole ford/ecoboost deal just seems fishy to me.......

Has esm/hpd mentioned anything over the bop adjustment to the fords boost pressure to “compensate for atmospheric pressure at sea level” while the hpd got nothing,or is it because the hpd is maxed out for power as been rumored here? Either way that bop adjustment seemed odd to me.
They can't do much with the HPD engine because of it's SOHC heads and because it was design to be as small/compact as possible it has a very small bore center 98mm and small bearings(that don't handle high boost).
Old 15 Apr 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3392786)   #2946
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"How would you honestly describe the potential of the experience in 2014?"

I would expect the 2014 TUSC Six Hours at the Glen to be as good as the 2013 Rolex event there.

I used to go to Rolex events when I could, just as I did ALMS events. I had preferences, but on the whole, when the schedule and budget allow, I prefer to attend races.

Having seen the first three races ... we can hope the officiating will be more like Long Beach, and we can hope the BoP will be a little better. It's a gamble .... but it is also a six-hour race.

This year's Rolex 24 was worth the cost ... for the first 23 2/3 hours.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 12:44 (Ref:3392799)   #2947
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
"How would you honestly describe the potential of the experience in 2014?"

I would expect the 2014 TUSC Six Hours at the Glen to be as good as the 2013 Rolex event there.

I used to go to Rolex events when I could, just as I did ALMS events. I had preferences, but on the whole, when the schedule and budget allow, I prefer to attend races.

Having seen the first three races ... we can hope the officiating will be more like Long Beach, and we can hope the BoP will be a little better. It's a gamble .... but it is also a six-hour race.

This year's Rolex 24 was worth the cost ... for the first 23 2/3 hours.
But Sebring was not!

I'm a WG lover too, since 1966. I'm still undecided about this year's 6 because I'm not yet convinced it won't be run like Sebring which would make the week-end a waste, although the Cup race is a plus. OTOH, I bought a new camping mattress.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3393495)   #2948
tjh8402
Rookie

United States
Orlando, Fl
tjh8402 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/102812...al-gt3-program

Looks like Dyson is taking their program elsewhere for the time being.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 00:36 (Ref:3393611)   #2949
tjh8402
Rookie

United States
Orlando, Fl
tjh8402 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/10281...r-championship

And the bad news continues
Old 17 Apr 2014, 01:04 (Ref:3393623)   #2950
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
GROAN! Of the three remaining P2 teams, one is performing so badly that you kind of feel like they will pull the plug for a massive regroup, and the other two are always talked about as being on the edge.

I am not sure what good news would be, but now would be a good time!