Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 May 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2883485)   #26
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Rubens out Q1 but Maldonado did a bloody good time to net 4th!!!!

Brundle just made a sweeping statement about Perez being unimpressive since Oz as well. Not sure about that Martin, sure in qualy he's been a bit off, but he was quick until he conked in Sepang race and in China was fairly impressive until he ran Sutil off. The guy can only do whatever strategy Sauber put him on.
Old 21 May 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2883490)   #27
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Qually has turned into a very poor show with all the tyre conservation.
Old 21 May 2011, 13:12 (Ref:2883493)   #28
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes bit dull, but Alonso livened it up and Webber did a cracking job to get the pole.

Maldonado must've been the star of qualy overall though, great drive!

I think Sauber will be put out that they didn't get at least one of the cars into Q3, Perez got within a couple of tenths I think?
Old 21 May 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2883494)   #29
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is no point watching qualifying now, what a pile of arse.
Old 21 May 2011, 13:48 (Ref:2883496)   #30
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Qually has turned into a very poor show with all the tyre conservation.
I think it would be fine if RB weren't so dominating, if Mclaren were close to them we'd have seen Q3 play out very differently with four cars pushing for pole in the last seconds. Even so I still think it would be better if they had another set of softs available and had to hand one back after Q3.

Anyway the main event is the race, qually as a show is a bonus but it really doesn't matter if we can have good races.
Old 21 May 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2883499)   #31
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Rubens out Q1 but Maldonado did a bloody good time to net 4th!!!!

Brundle just made a sweeping statement about Perez being unimpressive since Oz as well. Not sure about that Martin, sure in qualy he's been a bit off, but he was quick until he conked in Sepang race and in China was fairly impressive until he ran Sutil off. The guy can only do whatever strategy Sauber put him on.
Well he just outqualified Kobashashi which is hard to do. He has Kobashashi's pace but after that spectacular debut in Australia where I believe Brundle had just walked on water, there really is no way to go but slightly down unless Brundle is looking for top tens at every race. The only race he was unimpressive was China where he punted off Sutil but apart from that he has been doing a good solid job. Maybe tomorrow he can get his first points and shut Brundle's pie hole.
Old 21 May 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2883501)   #32
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jarno was right, quali is done...

I wonder what stupid change they will implement to keep cars on the track.

Thanks Pirelli for making it all a contrived joke!
Old 21 May 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2883513)   #33
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The good thing is that Webber is on pole. That really had to happen today, not just for his sake but for the sake of F1 as a whole. A Vettel whitewash, whilst impressive, would not be in the interests of the sport. Sure, he didn't have KERS and that's probably what made the difference, but the result is what counts.
Old 21 May 2011, 14:29 (Ref:2883515)   #34
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post

Anyway the main event is the race, qually as a show is a bonus but it really doesn't matter if we can have good races.
fourWheelDrift is having a balanced and reasonable opinion about things yet again. He is of course correct in saying that it is the RACE that matters and not the qualifying. I mean seriously guys, how can you complain that the quali being ruined by exciting race tires.
Old 21 May 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2883529)   #35
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Qualifying does matter because it's part of the show and supposed to be exciting.

Over on Facebook someone made what seems to me to be a good suggestion and that is that the top ten qualifiers should get an extra set of tyres to be used only in the last five minutes of the session.
Old 21 May 2011, 16:30 (Ref:2883546)   #36
Martin Bull
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Martin Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Egg

Decided to watch qualifying today, but then wished I'd sat out in the garden instead.....
Old 21 May 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2883548)   #37
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bull View Post
Decided to watch qualifying today, but then wished I'd sat out in the garden instead.....
Yes it is beginning to loose the plot..
Old 21 May 2011, 17:17 (Ref:2883556)   #38
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

Over on Facebook someone made what seems to me to be a good suggestion and that is that the top ten qualifiers should get an extra set of tyres to be used only in the last five minutes of the session.
IIRC that was something that was suggested by Martin Brundle.

he did seem very irritable today, moaning about how the track used to be and the lack of action in Q3 etc etc.
Old 21 May 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2883572)   #39
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

I too remember when qualifying was a bit more exciting, but the races were also a bit less exciting.

But most of all, I'm glad that the race will not be over by lap 20.

I'm sure that there will be races coming up where pole will be more important. Can you think of one?
Old 21 May 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2883574)   #40
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I'm sure that there will be races coming up where pole will be more important. Can you think of one?
Old 21 May 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2883575)   #41
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

In fairness Pirelli are doing what was asked of them..
Old 21 May 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2883589)   #42
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
In fairness Pirelli are doing what was asked of them..
They were, but I'm not sure they are now. Let's see what happens tomorrow. I think they have gone a step too far.
Old 21 May 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2883592)   #43
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
They were, but I'm not sure they are now. Let's see what happens tomorrow. I think they have gone a step too far.
Good point Strider! I had forgotten about this new prime tyre..
Old 21 May 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2883599)   #44
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Pirelli said that the drivers and the teams were happy with the performance of the new harder tyres during previous friday tests.

It must be very difficult to make a tyre that's the right amount, in terms of lap time, slower than a softer tyre.

We must also remember that the medium compound tyre has to fit in between the two that are being used in Spain (soft and hard). So maybe the medium tyre would have been the better choice? Drivers would then probably complain that there isn't enough difference between the two.

Whatever happens, it will surely be worth watching.
Old 21 May 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2883647)   #45
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Indeed, Cayalunya is a bit hard on the rubber so just how many stops will we asee tomorrow?!
Old 21 May 2011, 22:25 (Ref:2883669)   #46
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think giving the teams that make it through to Q1 and extra set of soft tyres is actuallly a really good and fair solution. After all, they have to run further than the teams that go out early, so why shouldn't they get more tyres to do so?

I doubt this will be done though, as the FIA probably think it is better to keep it like it is in order to make the race strategy more interesting. I think they are more likely to make a rule that says you must set a fast time in the last 5 mins of Q3 or do at least 2 runs or something like that which could even act as a disadvantage to the current top teams.

It's ironic that after making changes to qualifying for years to try and make it more exciting, and make the cars be on track for longer (after all, that is why we have Q1,2 & 3), that we are right back to the best teams only doing short runs and qualifying being less interesting, care of more rules!
Old 21 May 2011, 22:40 (Ref:2883676)   #47
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Okay so keep the tyres and let us go back to 60 minutes of qualifying, the only stipulation being is that you must go out at least once during every 15 minutes of that hour..

Tyres use whatever you want..
Old 21 May 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2883693)   #48
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Qualifying is fine as is (not the dream exactly) so the extra set of tyres is a good idea.

Make Q3 a fifteen minute session with unlimited tyres, that'd be a tweak I'd make.
Old 22 May 2011, 05:22 (Ref:2883747)   #49
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't change anything. You get X tyres per weekend, up to you to use them to get the best result for the weekend. You start giving those in Q3 extra tyres then drives like Webber's in China don't become possible. You're just robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Old 22 May 2011, 07:46 (Ref:2883768)   #50
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It isn't though.