Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 8 Sep 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3132907)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
GP2 Monza - Race weekend thread

Discuss!
Old 8 Sep 2012, 14:49 (Ref:3132908)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
right, not wanting to party poop and downplay what was a great drive but surely filippi NOT winning would have been more of a story? the guy has more gp2 experience than the rest of the field put together...

/devils advocate
Old 8 Sep 2012, 15:14 (Ref:3132912)   #3
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
right, not wanting to party poop and downplay what was a great drive but surely filippi NOT winning would have been more of a story? the guy has more gp2 experience than the rest of the field put together...

/devils advocate
I disagree. We've seen plenty of drivers come back into various formulae and not emulate what they did before e.g. Aleshin in FR 3.5.

Luca drove superbly today. He judged the race supremely, which is amazing given that he didn't know the tyres and Coloni have struggled badly with the Pirellis this year.
Old 8 Sep 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3132917)   #4
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

/devils advocate
I disagree also, Luca is a class act and by far the best Italian driver around for some years now. I cant believe all the talk that surrounds Ferrari and their drivers they don't give this guy a chance.

Luca just proved what a weak GP2 grid we have this year. For a supposed feeder series not one of them is fit for F1. (apart from Luca)
Old 8 Sep 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3132918)   #5
Supertec
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
Supertec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

/devils advocate

Valsecchi
Giedo Van der Garde
Old 8 Sep 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3132920)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
do you think the fact he had the measure of the tyres immediately says something about everyone else more than him? or is it a circuit where they're less of an issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3 Rocks View Post
Luca just proved what a weak GP2 grid we have this year. For a supposed feeder series not one of them is fit for F1. (apart from Luca)
see, here you're basically agreeing with what i said at the start though. considering that the talent that left in '11 doesn't seem to have been replaced, would it not have been more of a story had he not won?

again, i'm not talking down his win, i'm just putting it into the context of the rest of the season.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 07:48 (Ref:3133111)   #7
Zen
Rookie

Australia
Bicester
Zen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cleaver move by Coloni putting Fillipi in their car, and getting the win.

To often the drivers blame the car/team for their bad results............Coletti now knows the cars good in the right hands..
Old 9 Sep 2012, 09:14 (Ref:3133132)   #8
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finland MTV3MAX channel GP2 commentator Timo Pulkkinen said Ecclestone and Briatore were the founders of the Super Nova Racing. He's got the wrong information.

GP2 race win now Davide Valsecchi
Old 10 Sep 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3133605)   #9
cappra250
Rookie

cappra250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Filippi did a test with Pirelli on Monday and Tuesday at Montmelo. So quite fresh from the driving point of view.
Using more than 15 new sets of tyres during these 2 days also could give him a proper understanding of how they work before the Monza meeting. Last year he won by 6 seconds - setting the fastest lap on the way. This year he won by 4 seconds and you need to consider that 2 of them came from the advantage of changing only the rear tyres at the pit stop. I would say that last year his win was stronger.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 09:11 (Ref:3133629)   #10
tweak
Rookie

tweak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luca and Coloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3 Rocks View Post
I disagree also, Luca is a class act and by far the best Italian driver around for some years now. I cant believe all the talk that surrounds Ferrari and their drivers they don't give this guy a chance.

No doubt about it, Luca drove very well for his win in Monza. But to say he had no experience of Pirellis when he is one of the GP2 test drivers and did 2 days tyre testing in Barcelona just before Monza is a bit wide of the point, and would be good preperation for any driver for a race weekend. Couple this with the fact that he is driving for Coloni that have stolen data off all the other teams in the paddock over the last 3 years, of which he had the benefit to use last year, it starts to put things in perspective a bit. I think the whole GP2 paddock will be a much happier place when Coloni has disapeared back to Auto Gp where he can see all the data without having to pay for it, and leave the good honest teams trying to find a competative edge the old fashioned way by hard work and ingenuity. Roll on 2013 with 12 straight teams.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3133648)   #11
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do you have proof for what you've said Tweak?
Old 10 Sep 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3133652)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
on a public internet forum? i think you know what the answers going to be to that...

to be fair we shouldn't go throwing allegations around. everything on an internet forum is just opinions. whether someone chooses to listen to one opinion over another is their own decision. /mod

but the tyre test is interesting, isn't it? as much as drivers go around saying "things aren't as they seem" when they're consistently on the back row, it goes the other way too...
Old 10 Sep 2012, 14:49 (Ref:3133778)   #13
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak View Post
No doubt about it, Luca drove very well for his win in Monza. But to say he had no experience of Pirellis when he is one of the GP2 test drivers and did 2 days tyre testing in Barcelona just before Monza is a bit wide of the point, and would be good preperation for any driver for a race weekend. Couple this with the fact that he is driving for Coloni that have stolen data off all the other teams in the paddock over the last 3 years, of which he had the benefit to use last year, it starts to put things in perspective a bit. I think the whole GP2 paddock will be a much happier place when Coloni has disapeared back to Auto Gp where he can see all the data without having to pay for it, and leave the good honest teams trying to find a competative edge the old fashioned way by hard work and ingenuity. Roll on 2013 with 12 straight teams.
If you were replying to my post I think its you who is wide of the mark, I made no mention of tyres or testing, as far as your comments re Coloni are concerned I have worked in GP2 and have never heard such a ludicrous suggestion. I think you may be called upon to uphold your views with facts. Coloni have employed some of the best engineers outside F1 in their team. I am sure they don't need to copy others. I think you are confusing Luca's ability re engineering and converting that into driving with something you have read on a toilet door.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3133893)   #14
tweak
Rookie

tweak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No offence intended, it's just that there is a deeper story to this than is out in public. Just ask yourself why Coloni have been asked to leave GP2 and lose all the team points from last year and this. I've heared that the only reason they wern't kicked out from Valencia when this data theft came up was to respect this year's drivers contracts with Coloni, after the winter tests they will be gone. If you still have friends in the GP2 paddock, ask them.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3134118)   #15
Trophy
Rookie

Trophy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saturday for Fillipi was a fairy tail and Sunday a horror story. No doubting that two days of GP2 tyre testing in Barcelona helped his quest for the Monza weekend and you would be foolish to believe this was not going to help him. He is however a driver who first entered GP2 in 2006 and although he did not drive this season has five full seasons under his belt. This is the most of any GP2 driver surely? Ironically in his first year he drove for Coloni and they split half way through the season after some kind of disagreement. Fillipi is a good driver but to say the rest of the field is weak compared to him is not very fair on the others.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 12:55 (Ref:3134210)   #16
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had forgot that they had the disagreement with the GP2 organisers Tweak, thanks for reminding me, i thought they were leaving due to wanting to pursue other series.

Has a team been announced to replace them or will they just run with 11 teams until 2014?
Old 11 Sep 2012, 20:53 (Ref:3134427)   #17
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re Filippi's performance and the standards of this year's GP2 field, I'm going to claim it's a bit of both.

It is extremely difficult to come into a series like GP2 as an established driver, even in a year were no regulations have changed. That he had experience of the tires helped, but usually you see how difficult it is to match the sheer ferocity and motivation of the drivers who are "in the moment" so to say. To come in with no racing in a year and do as well as he did is extremely impressive.

But it's also somewhat indicative of the level of this year's field. Because who are at the top, fighting for the championship? Two drivers with an enormous amount of experience, none of which I think has shown more than a handful flashes of brilliance previously. They've used their experience to get the results, and when there's a proper star on the grid (Rosberg, Hamilton, Grosjean, Bird, Hülkenberg etc) it's usually not quite enough. I don't know if Calado or Nasr are at this level yet (been impressed with Nasr elsewhere though) but I feel they are closer to Valsecchi/Razia than they ought to be considering the experience gap. Makes you wonder what would have happened if guys like Bird, Bianchi or Vietoris would have hung around for another season.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3134450)   #18
cleanup
Rookie

England
cleanup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
Saturday for Fillipi was a fairy tail and Sunday a horror story. No doubting that two days of GP2 tyre testing in Barcelona helped his quest for the Monza weekend and you would be foolish to believe this was not going to help him. He is however a driver who first entered GP2 in 2006 and although he did not drive this season has five full seasons under his belt. This is the most of any GP2 driver surely? Ironically in his first year he drove for Coloni and they split half way through the season after some kind of disagreement. Fillipi is a good driver but to say the rest of the field is weak compared to him is not very fair on the others.
Got to agree, Fillipi did a good job, vast experience, Italian, Italian team and in Italy, he was always going to do well. To say the rest of the grid is weak is obviously just ignorance, in particular some of the rookies. I was there at Monza, it seemed to be a weekend of difficulties for most of the top drivers so unfortunately, Fillipi didnt really get a true challenge. maybe we should look back to Fillipi's first year performances with no prior tyre testing and see how he performed. 0 wins, 0 poles, 0 fastest laps, championship position 19th, 2006. I think he is an excellent driver now but quite honestly, if he was that good, surely those that know would have snatched him up.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3135925)   #19
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"0 wins, 0 poles, 0 fastest laps" - reminds me of the Autosport front page from the week that Martin Brundle retired..

Anyway, "Lucky" Luca Fillipi was just that. Most other front runners had a weekend to forget and fillipi had a freaky good single race.

Valsecchi is past his "not so fresh" best and, with or without championship title, will go no further.
Razia needs to win title to shake off the "been in there for years" tag, and then he may come good and progress.
Nasr & moreso Calado are up there with pace, straight away, for one simple reason, they are better drivers than the rest. Young, fresh and on the up. Not stagnant and frustrated like the old timers. If I were signing drivers they'd be on top of my list. I'd push past valsecchi, razia, leimer and this year maybe even esteban to get to those two.
BTW, If I were signing commentators for Sky TV however, I'd obviously keep the superb Will Buxton, ditch the boring d'Ambrosio and useless Clos and sign Valsecchi to partner Buxton for 2013. Sorted. Bellissimo!!
Old 14 Sep 2012, 16:20 (Ref:3135972)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
It's pretty clear that the depth of real talent in GP2 this year is at its lowest otherwise Valsecchi and Razia wouldn't be fighting for the title. They are journeymen at best.

Unless a rookie walks straight into a super engineered car then it is a 2 year campaign for drivers.

I really can't see beyond Nasr and Calado for potential F1 talent with possibly Gutierrez, although he's blown it this year to be frank. Another who's lost his way is Ericsson.

As for the rest....
Old 14 Sep 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3136057)   #21
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't get it, so Fillipi who half of last year only had Grosjean as rival (when not ahead) is a has been, no F1 material etc. This year Grosjean is beating a world champ on pure speed yet Fillipi is not worthy. Picky crowd.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3141394)   #22
DiamondJim
Rookie

DiamondJim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The driving has been scrappy at times to say the least but I've enjoyed GP2 this year. I don't subscribe to the theory that the quality of drivers has dropped so much. Whoever is successful in GP2 will be able to cut it in F1 - it's been proved time and again.