Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Apr 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3387766)   #1
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2014 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix.

Race Preview
Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix
04 - 06 April 2014

Just a few short days after the Malaysian Grand Prix, where Mercedes stormed to its first one-two finish since the 1955 Italian Grand Prix, Formula One arrives in Bahrain for round three of the 2014 FIA Formula One World Championship.

And as the Bahrain International Circuit celebrates the tenth anniversary of its arrival onto the F1 calendar it presents teams and drivers with a new challenge - a race under floodlights.

This year sees the circuit join Singapore and Abu Dhabi in staging race staged fully or partially at night and the 6pm start will change how the race is approached.

For instance, the cooler temperatures of the evening will lead to changes in balance and grip levels. Teams do, however, have some data on these conditions with the two pre-season tests held at this circuit running into the cooler early evening hours on a number of occasions. The bonus, too, is that the lower temperatures will place less stress on the cooling capabilities of the new power units, a particular issue for some in the run-up to the start of this season.

Elsewhere, the Bahrain track features a mix of slow-speed corners at the end of straights which means that the BIC is one of the most severe on brakes all season. However, while this also means that tyres take some punishment, especially in terms of longitudinal energy going into the tyres, Pirelli is bringing its medium and soft compound tyres this weekend.

This race always presents an intriguing set of challenges but this year a whole new set of variables has been thrown into the mix via the sport’s new regulations and the first F1 night-race in Bahrain’s history. Mercedes have dominated so far this season, but under the BIC floodlights anything could happen.

BAHRAIN INTERNATIONAL CIRCUIT

Length of lap: 5.412km
Lap record: 1:31.447
(Pedro De la Rosa, McLaren, 2005)
Start line/finish line offset: 0.246km
Total number of race laps: 57
Total race distance: 308.238km
Pitlane speed limits: 80km/h in practice, qualifying and the race

CIRCUIT NOTES
Circuit lighting has been installed all around the circuit and run-off areas.

DRS ZONES
The DRS sectors at the Bahrain International Circuit will be as last year. The detection point of the first zone is 10m before Turn Nine and the activation point is 50m after Turn 10. The second zone’s detection point is 108m before Turn 14, with activation occurring 270m after Turn 15.

Bahrain GP Fast Facts

This year marks the 10th anniversary of the inaugural race here in Bahrain. The first grand prix took place on 04/04/04 and was won by Michael Schumacher. This year’s race will be the 10th running of the grand prix as well, the 2011 event having been cancelled.

This year’s race will also be the first Bahrain Grand Prix to be staged under lights. The Bahrain International Circuit has installed 495 lighting poles around the circuit, ranging in height from 10-45 metres. Over 500km of cabling was installed to power the system and it features 5,000 luminaries. The entire lighting project at the circuit took just six months to complete.

This will be F1’s third race under lights. Singapore has hosted a full night race since 2008 and Abu Dhabi’s race begins in twilight and ends in darkness.

The first corner at the BIC was earlier this year named in honour of Michael Schumacher. As well winning the first race here, the seven-times champion advised the grand prix organisers during construction phase of the circuit. After retiring from F1 at the end of 2006, Schumacher made his return to the sport at the 2010 Bahrain GP.

Fernando Alonso has the most victories here, with three. He won for Renault in 2005 and 2006 and then for Ferrari in 2010. Sebastian Vettel and Felipe Massa have two wins each at the track. Massa won back-to-back events in 2007-’08 for Ferrari, while Red Bull Racing driver Vettel has won the last two races here.

The only other man to have won the Bahrain GP is Jenson Button. The Briton won for Brawn in his championship year of 2009.

Vettel and Schumacher are the only multiple pole position winners here. Schumacher was on pole at the first race and again in 2006, while Vettel started from the front in 2010 and 2011. The other pole position men are: Massa (2007), Robert Kubica (2008), Jarno Trulli (2009) and Nico Rosberg (2013). Kubica’s pole was the only one of his F1 career to date.

The race has never been won from further back than fourth on the grid. Alonso won in 2006 from the back of the second row, as did Button in ’09.

Victories for Schumacher, Massa (2) and Alonso mean that Ferrari is the most successful constructor here with four wins. Renault (2005 and 2006) and Red Bull Racing (2012, 2013) are the next closest challengers.

The 2010 race was the opening race of that season. Three teams, Lotus (now Caterham), HRT and Virgin (now Marussia) made their debut. Only one of the teams’ six cars finished the race, Lotus’ Heikki Kovalainen finishing in 15th place.

The 2010 race also gave an F1 debut to five drivers – Nico Hülkenberg (Williams), Karun Chandhok (HRT), Lucas Di Grassi (Virgin), Bruno Senna (Hispania) and Vitaly Petrov (Renault). Of the five, only Hülkenberg will feature this year.

Old 2 Apr 2014, 11:43 (Ref:3387810)   #2
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sense this will likely favour Mercedes powered cars more than Malaysia, does anyone agree?

There is not the lengthy fast corners than Red Bull enjoyed in the mid sector of Malaysia and about 4 or 5 decent length straights including the massive start/finish straight.

Thus Mercedes, McLaren, Force India and Williams may have more of an advantage.

So I cant see anything apart from reliability stopping Mercedes this weekend.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 15:04 (Ref:3387884)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thought I might miss the race as I am working earlies on the weekend.

Then remembered it is a night race, so I'll be back home for the race.

Then remembered it is Bahrain.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 08:12 (Ref:3388575)   #4
321Go
Veteran

Nice touch.

Old 4 Apr 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3388580)   #5
321Go
Veteran

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo want's a meeting in Bahrain with F1 delegates because, after just two races, he says F1 is boring and predictable.

Oh what a short memory he has.

Shoe on other foot blah, blah.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 08:45 (Ref:3388588)   #6
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Spotter Guide has been updated as new sidepod branding (again!) for Lotus and McLaren.

Download at www.spotterguides.com
Old 4 Apr 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3388639)   #7
321Go
Veteran

FP1 underway, and guess who's fuel flow meter has completely failed again!

Funny how car 1 never has had this issue isn't it.

Strange.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 11:54 (Ref:3388646)   #8
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso nearly going out on 3 mediums compound tyres and a front right soft tyre.

I wonder what the regs say about leaving the pit box with different tyres on. I mean he didn't make the track.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 11:58 (Ref:3388650)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing new there...
Old 4 Apr 2014, 12:36 (Ref:3388660)   #10
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki13 View Post
Alonso nearly going out on 3 mediums compound tyres and a front right soft tyre.

I wonder what the regs say about leaving the pit box with different tyres on. I mean he didn't make the track.
That was funny
Old 4 Apr 2014, 13:16 (Ref:3388679)   #11
321Go
Veteran

FP1 results.

FP1 review via autosport.com.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 14:29 (Ref:3388698)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the excellent intro.

I can't say this is my favourite race of the season but then again there could be a surprise or two, you never know with motorsport.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3388700)   #13
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who gets to test the track limits with Lewis this year?
Old 4 Apr 2014, 14:47 (Ref:3388708)   #14
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder how long it will take this time until the usual crowd will again cry "boring" due to a team's dominance. Will it be before or after the summer break?

Right now it is all funkydory since it is a different team and driver than last year, but in essence it is no different at all...
Old 4 Apr 2014, 14:59 (Ref:3388712)   #15
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 4 Apr 2014, 15:00 (Ref:3388713)   #16
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
I wonder how long it will take this time until the usual crowd will again cry "boring" due to a team's dominance. Will it be before or after the summer break?

Right now it is all funkydory since it is a different team and driver than last year, but in essence it is no different at all...
And it has been ever thus .... Ascari, Fangio, Clark, Mansell, Schumacher etc.etc.etc.....nothing changes. Nothing wrong with it IMO, it's just a case of one designer getting it more right than the others. It's not an entertainment, it's a sport. If you find it entertaining, then good on yer - if you don't , watch something else.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3388717)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And in any case no one driver is dominant yet.

But as long as the cars are entertaining then all is fine surely.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 16:02 (Ref:3388731)   #18
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
And in any case no one driver is dominant yet.

But as long as the cars are entertaining then all is fine surely.
At least with Mercedes we have two drivers who are pretty closely matched so we might enjoy the battle between the two of them.

When McLaren were dominant in the eighties they usually had two closely matched driver with no team orders and that was interesting to watch.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3388734)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
At least with Mercedes we have two drivers who are pretty closely matched so we might enjoy the battle between the two of them.

When McLaren were dominant in the eighties they usually had two closely matched driver with no team orders and that was interesting to watch.
Suzuka '89, springs to mind.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3388814)   #20
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

Yes - and likewise with Williams with Piquet and Mansell. It was good watching two drivers in the top car fight it out.

As for who will be the dominant team this year - well, Mercedes are top dog at the moment, but I do think that we'll see the Red Bull, possibly the McLarens and this might be a longshot but the Williams challenge for wins. I was going to say Ferrari as well - but those cars do seem to have the best engine at the moment. The Ferrari don't seem that far behind - although perhaps challenging for the title might be off the cards for this year.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 22:32 (Ref:3388826)   #21
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
I wonder how long it will take this time until the usual crowd will again cry "boring" due to a team's dominance.
Thanks for posting Mrs di Montezemolo. Spoken to Luca lately?
Old 4 Apr 2014, 22:36 (Ref:3388827)   #22
321Go
Veteran

FP2 results.

FP2 review via formula1.com
Old 5 Apr 2014, 05:39 (Ref:3388896)   #23
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Were the Martini logo replaced with "RACING" on it? I saw it being replaced on the car.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 06:50 (Ref:3388914)   #24
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Thanks for posting Mrs di Montezemolo. Spoken to Luca lately?
Quite tactful for someone who misunderstood the post...

I do not care if one team is dominant. Dominance is part of Formula 1. has always been, will always be. I am just womdering how long it will take for the people that complained about dominance last year, did not give Vettel DotRs since "he had to do it in that car" and so on will start complaining again and most importantly: will it be the same people?

I will judt be interested to see whether one team will be able to really challenge Mercedes or will Mercedes for once be able to keep up their good first half of the season performance for all of the season.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 08:22 (Ref:3388932)   #25
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah, that classic "can't vote for a driver who is winning in the best car, he did what he was expected to do" quote...
I miss it already

Mercedes far ahead obviously, but it could be close today between RBR and Ferrari, maybe Williams and McLaren in the mix.
At least the fight for 3rd seems close so far.