Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Who's going to win it?
Lotus 3 2.27%
Rebellion 3 2.27%
Porsche 23 17.42%
Audi 59 44.70%
Toyota 44 33.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Apr 2014, 02:01 (Ref:3388126)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
2014 FIA WEC - Round 1 - Silverstone

Due to unforeseen circumstances, this race thread was delayed by a week and I couldn't put as much time into it. Expect better for Spa, but I hope this will do.

That's right - the wait is finally over. The FIA WEC roars into an April opening round at Silverstone with a stronger, more competitive field than ever before. Audi and Toyota have both revitalized and prepped their LMP1 packages for the fight. Porsche AG, the newcomer to the LMP1 fray, dominated The Prologue (preseason testing) at Paul Ricard HTTT, but will their dominance in France translate into a victory in Great Britain?

LMP2 has been just as interesting. Strakka Racing will return to competition after quitting their LMP1 early last year. Although they weren't present at The Prologue, the British team will run a Dome S103-Nissan for a full season attack with Danny Watts, Jonny Kane, and Nick Leventis. Millennium Racing is a clear favorite, with both lineups incorporated a mix of experience and savvy with young talent and outright speed. G-Drive Racing will benefit from the talent of Olivier Pla while getting former Larbre Competition driver Julien Canal comfortable with the new car. Don't count out KCMG, either, as the rapid Tsugio Matsuda will come aboard for select rounds this year alongside Matthew Howson and Richard Bradley.

GTE-Pro will see an addition team on track this year in Ram Racing. Matt Griffin and Alvaro Parente will pilot the no. 52 Ferrari 458 at Silverstone along a TBA driver, likely James Rossiter. James Calado and Davide Rigon make up the newcomers at AF Corse, while Bamboo Engineering and Aston Martin Racing partner together to create a new, dynamic entry: the no. 99 Vantage GTE of Hong Kong star Darryl O'Young, former Larbre Competition Corvette racer Fernando Rees, and former WTCC driver Alex MacDowall. Frederic Makowiecki joins Porsche AG Team Manthey as a factory driver this year.

GTE-Am will see AF Corse, Proton Competition, AMR, and 8 Star return with new-and-improved lineups. Aside from GTE-Pro, Ram Racing will also enter a GTE-Am Ferrari 458, under the controls of Ben Collins (the "Stig"), Mark Patterson, and Johnny Mowlem. Prospeed Competition has also graduated to FIA WEC competition from the ELMS last year.

-------------

Circuit Website
Tickets
Weekend Schedule
Entry List
Weather
Accommodations
Transportation
Track Map
Lap of Silverstone
Andy Blackmore Spotter Guides
FRC Predictions Competition
Countdown to First Practice

Roll on FIA WEC!

Last edited by joeb; 7 Apr 2014 at 01:35.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 06:35 (Ref:3388156)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Would have loved to vote for Rebellion but I think Toyota are the team best prepared
Old 3 Apr 2014, 06:53 (Ref:3388160)   #3
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think Toyota or Audi are the favorites. Audi seemed good with their downforce at the test, but Toyota's high downforce package was a bit faster in top speed. Porsche probably takes GTE PRO.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 06:58 (Ref:3388162)   #4
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Hopefully, Porsche to star, Toyota to win, Rebellion to have a creditable run and get one of their targeted podiums.

Either way, relishing prospect of a great weekend.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 07:46 (Ref:3388177)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Hopefully, Porsche to star, Toyota to win, Rebellion to have a creditable run and get one of their targeted podiums.

Either way, relishing prospect of a great weekend.
I think Rebellion's chances will be dictated to by which car they use
Old 3 Apr 2014, 07:47 (Ref:3388179)   #6
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I think Rebellion's chances will be dictated to by which car they use
Absolutely. If it's the Lola a reliable run to benefit from other's problems is possible, with the R One it'll just be too new.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 07:49 (Ref:3388181)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
iam hoping that if it is the R1 it might just surprise people
Old 3 Apr 2014, 09:16 (Ref:3388205)   #8
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
iam hoping that if it is the R1 it might just surprise people
Like you I'd be delighted if it showed up and astonished, and being an optimist I like to think at some stage this year it will make people sit up and take note.

That said, given the car will barely have time to be shaken down I think we need to be realistic. If nothing else 2011 and 2012 particularly showed us that cars take time to bed in and unexpected issues will always crop up, which can only be nailed by testing, and proper well sequenced development.

If we could poly-hierarchically post this in the Rebellion thread, I'd see them getting a respectable result at Silverstone with the Lolas, a niggly run at Spa, a promising but still a bit troubled outing at Le Mans, and then come the back half of the season getting a decent result or two when the cards fall right for them.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 10:55 (Ref:3388228)   #9
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
My guess is that the two voters for a Porsche win are slightly biased

(not that there's anything wrong with that, of course)
Old 3 Apr 2014, 12:17 (Ref:3388249)   #10
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope Porsche wins. They probably won't so Audi would be my second favorite.
Rooting for Manthey in GT too.

Still two weeks to go...
Old 3 Apr 2014, 12:21 (Ref:3388252)   #11
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
I hope Porsche wins. They probably won't so Audi would be my second favorite.
Rooting for Manthey in GT too.

Still two weeks to go...
+1
Old 3 Apr 2014, 12:41 (Ref:3388267)   #12
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
My guess is that the two voters for a Porsche win are slightly biased

(not that there's anything wrong with that, of course)
the eternal optimist in them hopes that porsche will win in the same way that many here would love rebellion to pull off a specatular success but realism means we voted toyota
Old 3 Apr 2014, 12:48 (Ref:3388271)   #13
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heart says Porsche, head says Audi
Old 3 Apr 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3388286)   #14
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have a really good feeling with Toyota. The way they've gone about their business smacks of quiet confidence. That's the best kind of confidence

I think Toyota's hybrid system is going to matter more than ever, and Audi's troubles with theirs could prove to be more damaging than ever. Porsche will be there or thereabouts, but a lack of experience will cost them. Toyota have lost plenty of races with the faster car due to a lack of experience.

I still back Audi over 24 hours, purely because they're Audi. But I think Toyota could end up being favourites for every other round of the WEC.

Last edited by Gingers4Justice; 3 Apr 2014 at 13:32.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 13:30 (Ref:3388291)   #15
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I voted for Rebellion but I kind of want the Lotus project to succeed.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3388294)   #16
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Well this was a race thread but it's turning into a predictions competition lol!! Well if all of you are really into this be sure to enter the FRC Predictions Competition. Lots of informed people on this forum who would really do to throw their hat in the ring!

I really want to see Toyota pull off a win, but at this point I can't realistically see anything other than an Audi R18 in victory lane. Which one, I'm not sure.

I'm actually astonished to see so many people pulling for Toyota for a race win. They were a bit down on the pace of Audi and Porsche at the tests so what gives?
Old 3 Apr 2014, 14:04 (Ref:3388296)   #17
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Well this was a race thread but it's turning into a predictions competition lol!! Well if all of you are really into this be sure to enter the FRC Predictions Competition. Lots of informed people on this forum who would really do to throw their hat in the ring!

I really want to see Toyota pull off a win, but at this point I can't realistically see anything other than an Audi R18 in victory lane. Which one, I'm not sure.

I'm actually astonished to see so many people pulling for Toyota for a race win. They were a bit down on the pace of Audi and Porsche at the tests so what gives?
I guess everyone thinks Toyota was sandbagging a bit at the test. If you're asking me I'd say it's pretty even between Toyota and Audi again. When you saw the Toyota exiting slower corners it was more often than not leaving black lines. So that to me means they've still to get the hybrid system dialed in completely to their liking. Unless ofcourse they were running older tires with a bit less grip.
What it comes down to is that no one really knows who stands where. All we know is that the cars in the LMP1 category are running and are capable of quick laptimes. So roll on Silverstone and let's see who's the fastest.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3388301)   #18
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Given the most recent (and final?) fuel flow adjustments, I can't see past a Toyota win. I'd like to because it would be great to see Porsche make a winning return, but there will be reliability doubts around the 919 all the way through to Le Mans.

Audi will be thereabouts as always ... I predict a 0.1s/lap gap to the Toyotas though
Old 3 Apr 2014, 14:18 (Ref:3388304)   #19
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tests mean naff all, for me I feel there's a chance the Audi will take a hit from the EoT and Toyota are at the culmination of a three-year project where they really should be challenging for the win.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 14:49 (Ref:3388309)   #20
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I predict an easy victory for Toyota.

They already won Silverstone with ease in 2012, they are much better prepared for this season than last year and it seems that they have the rules on their side.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 14:59 (Ref:3388314)   #21
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Toyota lost Silverstone in 2012. They lost ironically because they had to pit for a splash of fuel because of poor fuel consumption that year.

But at this stage, depending on how the rules come out and if practice at Silverstone backs up what testing at PR may've proved, it'll easily be down to Audi or Toyota as far as that goes. Porsche's reliability is still suspect and they don't have a sprint areo package to my knowledge.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3388327)   #22
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massively excited about this race. Will be my first time at Silverstone. Looking forward to exciting and entertaining racing. I think it will be really close between Toyota and Audi and hope Porsche will keep close by.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 16:06 (Ref:3388329)   #23
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
You cynical lot. No one thinks Lotus may win it?
Old 3 Apr 2014, 16:08 (Ref:3388331)   #24
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I am just hoping they turn up
Old 3 Apr 2014, 16:12 (Ref:3388334)   #25
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Interesting tidbit from S365 here.. http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/g...pecs-revealed/