Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 27 Aug 2003, 07:06 (Ref:700322)   #26
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Wrex, I guess you're right.
This place sure did change lately, and I must say that even though I'm at least 8 hours a day online now, I post less than I used to, and it's mostly beacuse I can't make myself to read everything posted on the boards.
Sometimes even when I think a thread is interesting, it somehow wonders away and makes me lose interest in posting. You know - interesting subject, long thread, you start reading, few posts make you really want to reply, but as you read further it just turns into something else, and you just lose interest...

Unfortunately, I don't think posts like yours can change this. Only "serious" posting can.

Oh, BTW, I ask myself that question (if the names were reversed) all the time, not just here.

Last edited by ljakse; 27 Aug 2003 at 07:07.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 14:30 (Ref:700717)   #27
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I have to say, in general I'm disppointed with alot of the responses in this thread, none more so that 'veteran' Valve Bounce.

You can sook about it, ignore, even pretend it's no worse than its ever been. But that wont solve the problem. I will also recall the post VB the next time you cry foul and run to the mods about driver bashing when "it does'nt" sit well with you.

*sigh*
Old 27 Aug 2003, 16:00 (Ref:700828)   #28
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't you quit Wrex,
who doesn't love you, doesn't deserve you
Old 27 Aug 2003, 17:34 (Ref:700922)   #29
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well wrexy, i must admit i am not one to talk about being the model member! i CERTAINLY participated in such heavy threads back in the days of 02'. i have struck a balance i believe, it's just a matter of before posting, standing back and looking at the bigger picture.

however, i don't post enough in the F1 forum to show off my better attributes as a member of this forum; why? because of the exact problem Wrexy has been talking about. im sorry, but i've got better things to do with my time than repeat history every fortnight and have to sift through the countless wafer-thin threads who's only purpose is to split certain groups of members apart and to hurt other members and ruin their credibility.

just because you wouldn't act like that face-to-face doesn't mean you have to act like this on the internet.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 27 Aug 2003, 18:08 (Ref:700960)   #30
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bravo Wrex!!

....if the names were reversed, a very good point and something I think I will try and keep in my mind when I post
Old 28 Aug 2003, 00:00 (Ref:701297)   #31
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, my name is etihW salohciN and I am waiting for a taxi

Seriously I think it's better than it used to be, the worst period on this forum for me was early 2002. Fortunately as a non-moderator I can simply turn a blind eye to flames etc and dismiss it as a fact that wherever you go there'll always be a dozen clowns there to annoy everyone.

These days I don't actually have the time to spend online so I personally pick the first two topics that look interesting and then go straight to the gravel ferme where it's much more mature
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 28 Aug 2003, 03:15 (Ref:701345)   #32
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite
the worst period on this forum for me was early 2002.
You can blame the FIA for that, now that JPM and Michael aren't near one another on the track so much everythings alot quieter
Old 28 Aug 2003, 08:01 (Ref:701477)   #33
tally-bally-ho
Rookie

tally-bally-ho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we still allowed to make comments about James Allen's ITV commentary?
Old 28 Aug 2003, 09:38 (Ref:701558)   #34
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well we're only concerned about driver bashing here, so I suppose James Allen is fair game
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 29 Aug 2003, 20:46 (Ref:703033)   #35
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrexy you're getting old my friend...
Old 30 Aug 2003, 04:02 (Ref:703160)   #36
Rossi # 46
Racer

Rossi # 46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And what happened to Freedom of speech?

This thread sounds like it is trying to tell people what they should or shouldnt say.

The way i see it, if people are argueing over drivers and stuff, this shows passion for the sport.

Is this really such a bad thing? and do we want a borring forum where everyone walkes on egg shells rather than speaking their mind??

Last edited by Rossi # 46; 30 Aug 2003 at 04:04.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 04:12 (Ref:703163)   #37
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
There is massive difference between expressing your thoughts and playing a broken record.

Why is it though that the worst offenders are the first to jump up and down when 'their' driver is getting it in the neck?

Oh, and freedom of speech is not the issue. There is no freedom of speech, we have rules that limit certain topics and discussion. If you want total freedom of speech, I suggest you start your own forum.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 06:38 (Ref:703189)   #38
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rossi # 46

This thread sounds like it is trying to tell people what they should or shouldnt say.

The way i see it, if people are argueing over drivers and stuff, this shows passion for the sport.

Is this really such a bad thing? and do we want a borring forum where everyone walkes on egg shells rather than speaking their mind??
Since this is a privately owned forum, not a government entity, freedom of speech is merely a privilage.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 07:22 (Ref:703202)   #39
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I gues you understand this by now

Quote:

There is nothing bad about expressing your opinion, but when half of the threads turn into TGF's fan club vs anybody else's fan club debate, than it's a very bad thing.
One of the most annoying things for me is when I start reading a thread that has more than two pages, and in the beggining I find few things I'd like to respond to, but in the next few posts it turns into something completely different - I simply lose interest even to read it, and I don't even consider responing to it.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 07:24 (Ref:703203)   #40
Rossi # 46
Racer

Rossi # 46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, point taken.

However what about this point i made earlier. You guys seem to be ignoring this one.

Quote:

Old 30 Aug 2003, 10:47 (Ref:703273)   #41
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a big part of the issue is the spirit of a thread. If a thread is an obvious "celebratory" thread, for example - let's say someone starts a thread celebrating what in their mind has been a great race, and then someone responds with "F1 is ****, the drivers are just pushing buttons, the tracks are ****", then that is not in the spirit of the thread. It doesn't belong in a celebratory thread, but it (hopefully put more eloquently than above, but you get the general idea) belongs in general threads like "What is your opinion of F1?" If you have a problem with F1 in general, it's bad netiquette to post that in a thread concerning the celebration of one specific race.

Likewise, if there's a thread called "What a brilliant race by JPM", and then someone just posts the usual "JPM is ****" answers which you've read 100 times before, that's also bad netiquette and flaming, because it doesn't belong in that thread, it belongs in threads with subjects like "What is your opinion of JPM" or "How good is JPM" (but also here hopefully more eloquently put than above).

The same with a thread celebrating a championship for TGF, for example, if someone only posts "TGF cheats, his teammate always moves over for him", etc. While his teammate has moved over for him on occasions, usually TGF hasn't needed that to win. And it's bad netiquette to throw that in the face of TGF's fans in a thread celebrating their hero. It belongs in a thread discussing the pros and cons of TGF as a driver, and no, you don't have to say the same things 100 times in this case either.

But the worst of all, in my book, is when threads concerning something completely different - this could be threads discussing Heidfeld, Jordan or whatever - is littered with snide comments towards JPM, TGF or their fans (I mention those two drivers specifically, because most of the flame baiting occurs when they are involved - or even when they're not involved, some people somehow drag them into the discussion ). That really is unnecessary and extremely bad netiquette.

Personally, I would much rather post something positive than something negative. When there is so much positive to say, why focus on the negative? Of course, I'm not saying that the drivers and the sport should be freed from criticism, far from it. But I believe the focus which you have yourself affects how much you enjoy the sport, and indeed your posting here on this forum. I wouldn't be surprised if I had somewhere around a 10:1 ratio on positive vs negative comments here. Some people are posting here only to write spiteful comments at others, and it is being noticed. If it gets too bad, I'm sure the F1 moderators will take action, like they have done before. Personally, I come here to discuss, enjoy myself, and to learn, not necessarily in that order. Try it some time, you might like it.

Last edited by R; 30 Aug 2003 at 10:55.
Old 31 Aug 2003, 15:58 (Ref:704079)   #42
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by R
Personally, I would much rather post something positive than something negative.
While I agree the people in the sport are not above critisism I've always found that the passion comes from the positive aspects not the negative. Also negative posting does not IMO cast any positive light on another.
Old 31 Aug 2003, 21:46 (Ref:704299)   #43
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
I have to say, in general I'm disppointed with alot of the responses in this thread, none more so that 'veteran' Valve Bounce.

You can sook about it, ignore, even pretend it's no worse than its ever been. But that wont solve the problem. I will also recall the post VB the next time you cry foul and run to the mods about driver bashing when "it does'nt" sit well with you.

*sigh*
I think my post may have been interpreted in the wrong manner. I was recalling the times when certain people, like Dooley Tilley and another guy with an assumed Chinese name Chow, actually came into the forum and started flooding the forum with abusive and highly insulting threads and probably in a libellous manner. The mods had to work very hard - both Liz and AMoffat to erase the threads and posts. Drivers who were attacked were mainly DC and Ralf.
There were also many insults and raves aimed at Michael Schumacher, most of which have died down lately. So if I remember bad times, it went back to those dark days.
I hope this has cleared up my post - it was never meant as disrespect to the poster of this thread, just a reminder of some dreadful times in the early days.
Old 31 Aug 2003, 22:05 (Ref:704312)   #44
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that happened even before Wrex joined! Those guys were just so obvious in their ways!

Remember Dancing Machine? And Bharatwd?
Old 31 Aug 2003, 22:14 (Ref:704320)   #45
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yes, the old DM, he/she was a character...
Old 1 Sep 2003, 01:57 (Ref:704423)   #46
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
No, I think Wrex and I joined about the same time. There were only two mods in F1, EERO was in the US and I think Gerard might also be in the US time zone. So these guys had open slather when the mods were not logged on. KM Chow was one of them and Dooley Tilley was the other. Their attacks on the drivers and other members here were obscene and disgusting, and they just plastered the page with obscene threads. Now, of course, the 4 mods in F1 are evenly spread through the world's time zones, so the forum is covered all day long from attacks of this nature.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 1 Sep 2003 at 02:00.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 06:35 (Ref:706417)   #47
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said, I've been away on hols and i haven't posted much, but sometimes i half lost interest in the forum.

I used to be a massive Senna fan and my best friend was a prost fan, and we always had some friendly discussions but remained friends...

let's remind us what brought us here... formula 1
Old 4 Sep 2003, 13:03 (Ref:708063)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not only does this apply to drivers, but also teams.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 13:30 (Ref:708086)   #49
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam,
is your clarification a consequence of the ferrari slaughter that someone is currently accomplishing in more than a thred?
Old 4 Sep 2003, 13:33 (Ref:708089)   #50
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who might that be?
Who slaughters what?

:confused:

I'm confused...
I need to lie down now...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 4 Sep 2003 at 13:36.
Closed Thread