Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Nov 2002, 19:20 (Ref:432480)   #1
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
MICHAEL SHUMACHER:The best F1 driver of his generation ??

Ok, Here's the idea:

Tell us the reasons you consider Michael the best of his generation in F1, or the reasons you don't !

Remember, comparisions with past drivers don't count. Only with those he has raced.

No bashing, offense will be accepted, the posts will be deleted, and the poster warned.

Here we go !!!
Old 19 Nov 2002, 19:29 (Ref:432485)   #2
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Reason Number One: Work Ethic.
Reason Number Two: Ability to think on his feet (evaluate track conditions and adjust before he ends up in the gravel).
Reason Number Three: As big as his ego is (and it has to be to propel one to the top of any field), he manages to be the consumate team player.
Reason Number Four: He recognizes talent and makes sure that it is on his team (engineering/strategy/etc.).
Reason Number Five: Feedback is a two-way street with him. He actively seeks solutions to problems rather than just reporting them.
Reason Number Six: He learned how to develop nothing (Benetton/Ferrari pre '96) into something.
Reason Number Seven: Even without dominant machinery (gonna be sorry I said this!) he shows speed, racecraft and the ability to win.

No other driver in the last 10 years can claim to have consistently done ALL of the above.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 19 Nov 2002 at 19:30.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 20:12 (Ref:432510)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, while I'd say that there have been other drivers who are better at certain aspects (race craft really isn't one of Schu's talents particularly in defence)he is the only driver who is bloody good at ALL aspects. In todays game that's whats important.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 20:22 (Ref:432518)   #4
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reasons i admire him.....
dedication , motivation , talent

Reasons i dont admire him....
Adelaide , Jerez just for starters !......( sorry , that isnt flame bait...it is a honest answer to the question....so please dont all slag me off for mentioning it . )
Old 19 Nov 2002, 20:23 (Ref:432519)   #5
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he's very good in just about every area of Formula 1(Maybe not sportsmanship, but others like Senna were lacking here too). Plus his endless enthusiasm for the job. Did Fangio have the same enthusiasm for Formula 1 after he won his 5th WDC as he did at the start?

So yes, I would say MS is the best of the current generation. You can't say he is the best of all, because there is no way to compare them because they all drove in different eras.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 20:26 (Ref:432523)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I agree Yoong Montoya - there are some true "Giants" from the past and I would be very cautious to compare or contrast them - particularly since the cars are so different from era to era.

Sato, I won't mention anything about "the Mantra!" Hope Meg is well and my Nigel Mansell coat is actually from the Ferrari days. You could either Love Nige or hate him, but you could never ignore him!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 20:30 (Ref:432526)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hehehe...Meg says Hi !

Yep , Mansell....i loved him , but i could see why some people didnt !
Old 19 Nov 2002, 20:35 (Ref:432529)   #8
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I loved his "First place or no place mentality!" A racer through and through.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 21:59 (Ref:432603)   #9
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best of all the drivers currently racing in F1. Also the best since Imola '94. Hakkinen just as fast, but didn't want to hang around any longer and wasn't always up for it if the car wasn't spot on.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 19 Nov 2002, 22:08 (Ref:432610)   #10
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Easy.

History has proven that Michael is one big fat championship-guarantee. Why else would a team pay him that much?
Old 20 Nov 2002, 00:04 (Ref:432720)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is why I think that Michael is the best of the, lets say, '94-'02 generation.

1. His dedication. Second to none. He tests lots. During a weekend he spends more time than any one else on the little things - studying the track (where are the nasty kerbs, where are the escape roads, how do you rejoin from an escape road?, etc...), he practices pit stops and driving the pitlane practically everytime he comes in.
He gets every piece of information the team (and himself) could need.

2. His technique. His ability to get the car into a corner and round it as if it was a kart. The use of left foot braking and accelerator. His style is different to a lot of others. Whether that is just what is needed for today's cars I don't know, but his mid corner speed is (by all accounts) a lot higher than others (although he doesn't brake late).

3. His feel. the way he can respond to new conditions. He gets up to speed on new tyres quicker than most. That's why he can win by a better pit stop, or make the first lap count.

4. His ability to work with others. He and Ross Brawn make a good pair in the race. Michael trusts Ross and Ross knows if he asks Michael to push he will.

5. Numerous little things He may not be the best at all of them, but he is almost there even in his weak areas.

All the other stuff (which was not the point of that other thread), does not make him a lesser talent. And does not stop him being (one of) the best in the world. When he is out there side by side with, say Montoya, I love it.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 00:06 (Ref:432722)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK. Let's see. Schumacher is like the virtues of the rest of the grid, put together.

Michael's the complete package. You look at Hakkinen, well, he rarely won with an inferior car. Villeneuve is probably more gifted but lacks in the technical side. Hill was a great driver, but less talented.
All his rivals in all these years, Damon, Jacques, Mika, were all awesome, but Schumacher is more complete.

The only thing I can complain about him really is Adelaide and Jerez. That was over the line. But he's reformed himself lately.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 00:15 (Ref:432726)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Michael is'nt the complete package, to me that implies perfection. And Michael is far from perfect, as are all the drivers.

However of all the drivers out there, he possesses more of the qualites that make a driver consistantly fast than the others - at this time.

Michael was'nt always this good, over 10 years he has evolved into what he is today. He is a better driver today than he has ever been.

In years to come, I think Monty and/or Kimi will grow into great drivers also. But you never know as many a bright star has faded before.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 01:27 (Ref:432748)   #14
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

ahhhhhh another is Michael the best thread???!!!!

Noooooooooooooo...everybody knows Jacques is the best!
Old 20 Nov 2002, 01:59 (Ref:432757)   #15
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now, this is the kind of thread i like

Easy....apart from what others in here had said, he's the youngest double Formula 1 World Champion (1994 and 1995 seasons) ever! and read my signature of what he is now
Old 20 Nov 2002, 02:29 (Ref:432765)   #16
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I echo the list that Adam has. Especially his dedication... Not even his most bitter rivals question this.

I'd also add "his performance in the rain" Last year was not a very wet one, but in years past, how many times have our collective jaws dropped at the sight of him finding some unusual line in the rain and lapping 2-3 sec faster than anyone else.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 02:38 (Ref:432768)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of his generation, yes, with the caveats that, #1 his skills include the political manipulation which seems to be all too common in F1 these days, and that, #2, his driving style is best suited to the cars of his generation.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 13:19 (Ref:433116)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Lee, I think caveat #2 would apply in many cases although there are drivers like Fangio who, imho, had the sheer genius to transcend any era.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 15:25 (Ref:433232)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
Lee, I think caveat #2 would apply in many cases although there are drivers like Fangio who, imho, had the sheer genius to transcend any era.
Well that doesn't make a great deal of sense -how do you know that Fangio had the physical and mental strength to get anwhere in modern F1?
Old 20 Nov 2002, 15:44 (Ref:433245)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn...Fangio ?

It's not the case here, right ?
Old 20 Nov 2002, 15:48 (Ref:433248)   #21
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
Easy....he's the youngest double Formula 1 World Champion (1994 and 1995 seasons) ever!
on paper yes...but when you realise that the first world championship was won by hitting his oppenent's car and putting him out of the race ....it doesnt look quite as impressive does it .
Old 20 Nov 2002, 15:51 (Ref:433252)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Glen (and Bononi) first off i am NOT comparing Michael to Fangio! I was simply saying that I think Fangio would be great in any era because of his ability. The whole issue of physical ability is obviously one where I believe Fangio would train himself physically to ensure his fitness if he were coming up today - mental toughness, no question!

But back to the point of the thread: Michael has blended the elements needed to be successful in this era. I really admire his improvement to his traditionally weak areas. He definitely has "drive." How long will he stay motivated though?
Old 20 Nov 2002, 15:58 (Ref:433261)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Ok, John. I was directing my post to Glen, because we don't want to go off-topic. And I believe Glen understood that too.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 16:04 (Ref:433266)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumacher is one of the few who seem that they will never retire, like it seemed to me that Senna would never do, if he didn't die in that crash.

I mean, i never thought that Ayrton would have quit because of age or so.

And i think the same of Schumacher but not in a good way, he just keeps going and going and going...

Don't know if this post comes out right, not so easy to express this correctly in english...

PS: How many times do we have to glorify/bash Schumacher anyway? It's just the same opinions all over again... (with a few exceptions)

Last edited by ASCII Man; 20 Nov 2002 at 16:11.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 16:11 (Ref:433273)   #25
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Ok, John. I was directing my post to Glen, because we don't want to go off-topic. And I believe Glen understood that too.
Indeed. I didn't bring up Fangio.