Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Dec 2003, 20:37 (Ref:812474)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best of the next generation

I am sure you all have your own favourites, Kimi, Juan, Alonso, Webber, maybe even Piquet or Rosberg jr`s but in my humble opinion Felipe Massa will reign supreme over the next decade or so. I was lucky enough to see him in italian Formula Renault in 2000, was blown away by his style and have followed him ever since. I thought he did well against Hiedfeld when compared to Kimi the previous year, couldn`t believe Sauber dropped him, was gobsmacked when Eddie went for Firman over him, bad move EJ. Still all`s well that ends well, lots of testing miles at Fiorano and ready to step in when Rubens gets the chop. Interested to see some of your choices, do any of you think Lewis Hamilton will make it? Me neither.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 21:02 (Ref:812499)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I quite like Massa and thought he was unfairly treated at the end of 2002 when his team-mate at the time, Nick Hiedfeld didn't do much better, especially given his vast amount of experience over the young Brazilian.

However, if you think that Massa will reign supreme over the likes of JPM, Kimi and Alonso you are very mistaken
Old 15 Dec 2003, 23:10 (Ref:812617)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
... especially given his vast amount of experience over the young Brazilian.
Vast? If you call 2 seasons 'vast'. (note for other thread - point out the vast 2 seasons experience Button has over Webber )

Massa I'm not sure about. This will be do or die for him. If he keeps Fisi in check, he will have a long career ahead of him. If he spends too much time in the gravel trap, it will back to wearing Michaels old race gear.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 23:26 (Ref:812630)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think much of Massa before. I'll be looking forward to seeing him booted once again after he FAILS once again.

Next generation? As I've stated often, Piquet Jr. and Rosberg aren't much, but get opportunities due to them being sons of ex-champions. Just because your father was a champion doesn't mean you will be. There are plenty of other talented drivers in F3 and F3000 who are even more talented than those two.

I think Kimi is THE next generation. He's only a young guy and has many years ahead of him. Alonso is in the same class. But I think they will be joined by a couple who have yet to be totally recognised as a world-class talent.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 23:35 (Ref:812634)   #5
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ryan Briscoe I think be a factor when he hits the scene . Toyota have seen it and his F3 title now in the bag I think Ryan in a sorted out Toyota will be a treat .

and Webber will be a WDC with a doubt
Old 16 Dec 2003, 00:19 (Ref:812654)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa doesn't say anything to me. I don't see him as special, as Webber is, certainly. But I think Kimi and Alonso are the top duo in this new generation... Blindingly fast, daring, and in good cars.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 01:45 (Ref:812690)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me its Kimi. He's cool as a cucumber, nothing seems to affect the guy. He acts as though F1 is a club race, not the big time race scene that it is. For a guy his age, with his lack of real driving time, its really quite incredible.

He will make for one boring WDC though!

Danica Patrick
Old 16 Dec 2003, 02:34 (Ref:812704)   #8
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During his initial season, it was generally noted that Felipe was very quick, despite assuming the most interesting angles and lines on the racetrack. It was said that he put too much input into the wheel, and it occasionally, or rather, frequently, led to some off track excursions. This is where Ferrari hopes he has learned to smooth out his style, and they have placed Felipe at Sauber to see if it has worked. If it has, then he will be a suitable partner/toady for Michael/his replacement. I believe they rate both Kimi and Fernando over Felipe at this time, and they'll try to get one of them as soon as Michael says he's leaving.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 06:51 (Ref:812800)   #9
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of the ones in the better cars, Kimi, JPM and Webber stand out.

Have to agree with you Gp racer on Kimi's club race coolness. Afew mistakes firt year in the serious big time would be bearable but he'll be even better next year.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 16 Dec 2003, 07:38 (Ref:812829)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course, it wil depends on the chances massa will get to drive a competitive car; if her comes to ferrari, well he can become a threat for someone, provided he still has to fully confirm he deserves that seat.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 08:58 (Ref:812878)   #11
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This season will be a big test for Massa to see whether he's got what it takes but i think for the next generation it's going to be a big battle with the guys already there plus the two Aussies waiting in the wings, Courtney & Briscoe. I believe it could be a great era coming up for F1.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 09:34 (Ref:812901)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Vast? If you call 2 seasons 'vast'. (note for other thread - point out the vast 2 seasons experience Button has over Webber )

Not just 2 seasons racing, but also 2 seasons testing with McLaren, one of the top 3, before that. Massa had only a couple of tests with Sauber before his 2002 season, thats what i meant by vast.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 10:12 (Ref:812933)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
vast
adj. vast·er, vast·est
Very great in size, number, amount, or quantity
I dont see 2 fitting that description.

*Ok, ok, I'm leaving, no need to push!*
Old 16 Dec 2003, 10:14 (Ref:812934)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Always the smart a**e
Old 16 Dec 2003, 11:08 (Ref:812964)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
I don't think much of Massa before. I'll be looking forward to seeing him booted once again after he FAILS once again.
Massa definitely has the inherent speed but he lacks race time. He is a bit of a less experienced Montoya to my mind. How can you say that someone failed when they are clearly quick and proved that they can also overtake people, remember Imola 2001 on Fizzi or Trulli was it?

Sauber replaced him cos unlike the top teams they couldn't afford to give him the time he needed to develop. If Ferrari have coached him then he won't be falling off the road at all he'll be getting the job done. Besides it''ll be good to have another wild man inthe field.

Ohter than him Scott Dixon is clearly a potential star and i'd probably have to give him the nod over the two Aussies, sorry guys!

Benoit Treluyer is good too, people seem to be forgetting about him even though he's following in footsteps of the other gai-jins by showing speed and building up experience in Nippon. Ditto Kovalainen in Nissan and Lopez in Renault V6.

Only guys who stand out, for me, in F3 or below are likes of Green, Carroll, Carbone.

Old 16 Dec 2003, 11:38 (Ref:812980)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
I dont see 2 fitting that description.

*Ok, ok, I'm leaving, no need to push!*
So vast, that he's been sacked too...
Old 17 Dec 2003, 10:40 (Ref:813856)   #17
Brandy_snap
Racer

Brandy_snap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of overtaking moves doens't make a fantastic driver. Obviously you all know who i think is there, but Kimi and Webber are pretty good too, no denying that! And the F3 guys have to shine, cos they're most likely the big tips for the future of F1.

Alonso for 2004 WDC! - perhaps not
Old 17 Dec 2003, 13:41 (Ref:814046)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa has been completely overrated - testing in the Ferrari he's consistently been slower than Luca Badoer, etc - someone who I don't personally rate as a quick driver.

Kimi, Alonso and Webber are definitely the way ahead.

We should definitely still be giving Button and Trulli a chance, though.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 13:42 (Ref:814048)   #19
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Massa is a star in the making, I think he had a couple of bad races in 2002 (particularly those spins at Silverstone) and that he was harshly judged on this. Not sayinmg he didnt have a few too many offs but I dont think he was anywhere near as crash prone as some people would have you believe!!

Theres no doubt that he's quick too, I just hope Sauber have a half decent package this year because they've got two fantastic drivers!
Old 18 Dec 2003, 00:15 (Ref:814705)   #20
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Posted this in a thread a wee while back.
Quote:
Future!!!

1) Felipe Massa
2) Nico Rosberg
3) Neel Jani
4) Lewis Hamilton
5) Vitantonio Liuzzi
6) Ryan Briscoe
7) Christian Klien
8) Alan van der Merwe
9) Gianmaria Bruni
10)Nelson Piquet Jr
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 18 Dec 2003, 08:21 (Ref:814884)   #21
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wonder why Sebastian Bourdais (2002 F3000 champion) and Bjorn Wirdheim (2003 F3000 champion) was 'ignored'.

I have an 'intuition', Sebastian or Bjorn would beat Webber in Jaguar (just for example), at least give a hard fight.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 08:30 (Ref:814887)   #22
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And, about the best of next generation? Well, I have no idea.

I think Montoya, Kimi, Alonso was part of this generation. They had came to F1 three years ago, you know?

But, yeach, they are part of next generation to (compare with Schumi's generation).
Old 18 Dec 2003, 11:37 (Ref:815001)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Logrence,

Badoer is seriously fast man! He defeated very strong field in f3000 92 and has understood that it won't happen for him anymore in actual racing. It wouldn't be bad to be slower than him!
Old 18 Dec 2003, 12:58 (Ref:815076)   #24
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz

I think Kimi is THE next generation. He's only a young guy and has many years ahead of him. Alonso is in the same class. But I think they will be joined by a couple who have yet to be totally recognised as a world-class talent.
i agree......kimi and alonso are something else...montoya up till now reminds me of carlos reuttemann, on his day he was unbeatable, but he is prone to mistakes and if he does'nt have a fighting chance at a win then the fire does'nt seem to be there....i'd like to see webber do well, but he needs to 'do' a schumi and build jaguar around him....i think damatta has been overlooked somewhat, in his first year i thought he did rather well.....and as far as massa is concerned, there is no denying he's quick....maybe a year at fiorano was enough to teach him to stay out of the gravel traps.....
Old 18 Dec 2003, 19:53 (Ref:815479)   #25
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I just wonder why Sebastian Bourdais (2002 F3000 champion) and Bjorn Wirdheim (2003 F3000 champion) was 'ignored'.

I have an 'intuition', Sebastian or Bjorn would beat Webber in Jaguar (just for example), at least give a hard fight.
OK yeah, for sure, they deserve a chance in F1. Maybe I'll extend the list to 14 drivers not racing in F1 in 2003, and 6 of those who were, making up a total of the 20 drivers I think should be on the F1 grid of the future. A special mention to Nick Heidfeld, as he reigned supreme in F3000, and deserves a much better shot at F1, having beaten off both Raikkonen and Massa, but I just can't bring myself to cut any of the young guns.

1) Kimi Raikkonen
2) Fernando Alonso
3) Juan Pablo Montoya
4) Mark Webber
5) Cristiano da Matta
6) Giancarlo Fisichella

1) Felipe Massa
2) Nico Rosberg
3) Neel Jani
4) Lewis Hamilton
5) Sebastien Bourdais
6) Bjorn Wirdheim
7) Vitantonio Liuzzi
8)Christian Klien
9)Ryan Briscoe
10)Satoshi Motoyama
11)Gianmaria Bruni
12)Nelson Piquet Jr
13)Jeff Gordon
14)Alan van der Merwe

Last edited by crozier74; 18 Dec 2003 at 19:59.
So I ride out to the old sundown