Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Oct 2005, 08:20 (Ref:1429211)   #1
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
New Generation of nearly men?

As a Montoya fan it pains me to ask the question is he going to be one of the new generation of nearly men. The way i see it we have got the new Hakkinen and Schumacher battle in the form of Alonso and Raikkonen, but i just feel that Montoya, Button and Webber are all going to be the new versions of Coulthard Barrichello and Ralf?

What do you think. Say it aint so
Old 10 Oct 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1429224)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It aint so.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1429226)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You may be wrong but you may be right
Old 10 Oct 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1429291)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Still too soon to judge, in all 3 cases.

Montoya - Is he gonna regret not taking the 03 WDC when it was his for the taking? I still think he'll get one more bite at the WDC Cherry and that will be next year. But as i've said elsewhere, i now think that in terms of that moment of brilliance or whatever it is that the most talented racers have and make them the most exciting to watch, he has at least one rival based on Suzuka - Alonso.

Webber - he's got it all, aggression, qualy skill, composure (few shunts this year down to frustration more than any lck of judgement in my book) so just give him the car... but i'm not sure he's at the level of the current Top 4.

Button - well, if you can get one read the artivle in the 'Sunday Times' mag from yesterday and that will tell you all you need to know...
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1429402)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Juan Pablo has had the measure of Kimi over the last 3 or 4 races, so who knows where he would have finished yesterday? Could have taken the win himself.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:41 (Ref:1429405)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Juan Pablo has had the measure of Kimi over the last 3 or 4 races, so who knows where he would have finished yesterday? Could have taken the win himself.
I agree, but i'm starting to get depressed with the amount of times he's walking away from wrecks and in spite of my gut instinct telling me i know he's the most talented guy out there, i am starting to think that won't be enough...
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1429416)   #7
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

NO1SPECIAL has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
I agree, but i'm starting to get depressed with the amount of times he's walking away from wrecks and in spite of my gut instinct telling me i know he's the most talented guy out there, i am starting to think that won't be enough...
Keep the faith chunterer - I'm no fan of his but I think he's pretty bloody good...even if he is a pr**k. Sometimes racers are just unlucky and have bad stretches/seasons.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1429420)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
He needs to learn patience when dealing with potential track scuffles, and not presume that every driver is going to do the "correct" thing.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1429421)   #9
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso, Raikkonen, Schumacher - these are the guys of the next few years.

Amongst those who have apparently shown promise but will never amount to anything are; Mark Webber, Jenson Button, Juan-Pablo Montoya, Ralf Schumacher, Giancarlo Fisichella, Takuma Sato (although more of a nearly-nearly-man)...none of these will win championships. It's slim pickings at the top.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1429434)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
He needs to learn patience when dealing with potential track scuffles, and not presume that every driver is going to do the "correct" thing.

You're bang on with that assessment.

But Logrence, i think that the MS myth will finally explode, even if he does get parity of equipment again next year...i don't think he's got the raw edge/racecraft that either Alonso or Raikkonen showed yesterday, or for that matter, that JPM has patently illustrated on those occassions when he has those events when he's peerless and doesn't total it!
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1429437)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Michael Schumacher myth will finally explode after seven world championships?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1429441)   #12
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait for next year. I have a feeling that Montoya will be right up there with Raikkonen and Alonso. If you look at how things have gone this year, it would've been very possible for him to be the one who was fighting Alonso for the WDC. Unfortunately he broke his shoulder early in the season, and up until the last few races he really hasn't shaken off the lasting effects of the injury.

I know these things didn't happen, but for the sake of interest we'll presume they didn't. If Pizzonia hadn't taken him out at Spa, or had Monteiro rear-end him in Turkey, and not been disqualified after leading in Canada, he'd have been very close to Raikkonen and Alonso. And if he'd raced at Bahrain and Imola, well... Who knows.

As for the others, I certainly hope they don't join the long list of talented drivers that could've been, but never quite were. I think it's still too early to tell whether or not that will be the case.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1429445)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey

I know these things didn't happen, but for the sake of interest we'll presume they didn't. If Pizzonia hadn't taken him out at Spa, or had Monteiro rear-end him in Turkey, and not been disqualified after leading in Canada, he'd have been very close to Raikkonen and Alonso. And if he'd raced at Bahrain and Imola, well... Who knows.
Agreed. With regards to Spa and Turkey, he proberbly wouldn't have been taken out had he not been in the position of having to support Kimi, but thats life (or racing in this case), roll on next season
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1429463)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
The Michael Schumacher myth will finally explode after seven world championships?
The myth that it it wasn't the equipment advantage that carried him to most of them?! What i mean is that pure speed he has in abundance, pure technical ability and strength of mind to analyse a situation he has in abundance, but is he capable of the sort of moves that Alonso pulled yesterday and JPM have pulled in recent past? The way he almost pulled up to a standstill going through 130R after Fernando had pulled that supreme move on him suggests that he would never have tried that in a million years, but it's alright for him to shove people on the grass if they try to overtake him !!

Fernando's move was a nice way for him to remind MS of Silverstone 2003, but in a clever, clean, incisive and fair fashion!

However, neither of these 2 are the point of this thread. JPM for me is the nearest thing to a Gilles of the current generation, but onmce Gilles got established even he didn't have the samne amount of stacks as JPM does, whether it's his fault or not.

I don't want to suggest that JPM needs to remove his ability to pull off the moves that only he is ultimately capabple of but somehow as onster says just wait that little bit longer before doing it...now he has the car (and assuming he will again in 2006) he doesn't need to drive so crazily in the opening laps - i could understand it when he was in the Williams which more often than not required him to do as much as possible early on because it would go backwards soon after but he could maybe tone it down a little bit...

I've always seen him as the real dark horse, the guy that would vanquish allcomers in the right environment but i don't know... yesterday to me seemed to be a turning point and made me think that there really are other drivers equally as brilliant but more composed to boot... can he really sustain a season long challenge against those 2? or will he turn out like i say as the driver who is spectacular to watch but is simply out to prove that he's the fastest and not that fussed about winning a title?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1429465)   #15
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden
As a Montoya fan it pains me to ask the question is he going to be one of the new generation of nearly men. The way i see it we have got the new Hakkinen and Schumacher battle in the form of Alonso and Raikkonen, but i just feel that Montoya, Button and Webber are all going to be the new versions of Coulthard Barrichello and Ralf?

What do you think. Say it aint so
I wouldn't put DC and RB in the same class as Ralf. I wouldn't rank anyone with Ralf, except maybe Fisi after yesterdays performance. No-one out there is as bad as Ralf.

However, I too am dissapointed with JPM, after watching him do terrific stuff in Indy cars. (The proper Indy cars I mean), but time will tell. I think he's a much better racer than Kimi, but Kimi seems to be naturally quicker.

We'll see.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1429469)   #16
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
With regards to Spa and Turkey, he proberbly wouldn't have been taken out had he not been in the position of having to support Kimi, but thats life (or racing in this case), roll on next season
Aye.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1429472)   #17
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Think about this one: Is Raikkonen going to be the new Stirling Moss?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1429477)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

So we've got a Raikkonen as the new Moss
Alonso as the new Senna (or rather Stewart IMO)
JPM as a modern day Gilles
Button as a Prost

So what does that make Schuey?!
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1429508)   #19
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebeegeetee
I wouldn't put DC and RB in the same class as Ralf. I wouldn't rank anyone with Ralf, except maybe Fisi after yesterdays performance. No-one out there is as bad as Ralf.
I can't agree enough. If Ralf's surname was anything else, he would never have made it past F3.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1429510)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebeegeetee
No-one out there is as bad as Ralf.
I really don't understand that view and I certainly don't agree with it!
Old 10 Oct 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1429519)   #21
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Quote:
The myth that it it wasn't the equipment advantage that carried him to most of them?! What i mean is that pure speed he has in abundance, pure technical ability and strength of mind to analyse a situation he has in abundance, but is he capable of the sort of moves that Alonso pulled yesterday and JPM have pulled in recent past? The way he almost pulled up to a standstill going through 130R after Fernando had pulled that supreme move on him suggests that he would never have tried that in a million years, but it's alright for him to shove people on the grass if they try to overtake him !!

Much as I don't like MS, I can't believe you really think MS's performance is due to his car!! Every team he's joined was been running a dog of a car that he dragged way beyond its natural position, and he has never been equalled by any team mate. His feedback has helped make each team both WDC and WCC. Part of MS's ability is that he puts himself in the position where he doesn't need to make daring overtakes. I think his biggest problem this year lies in the Bridgestones, not his driving.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1429520)   #22
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

NO1SPECIAL has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Me either John Turner. I saw a good analysis of Ralf vs JPM and they came out pretty much dead even for their time at Williams - now how could that be if Ralf is garbage?
And i don't know why people are writing off webber and button, they haven't had the equipment yet...it's no wonder they haven't won races.

Last edited by NO1SPECIAL; 10 Oct 2005 at 12:08. Reason: post got in between
Old 10 Oct 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1429534)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess this thread proves and the Kimi greatest thread you are only as good as your last race! Or that we have a high proportion of goldfish registered

Nearly. It seems we are talking about nearly world champions. There have been only 29 world champions and a lot of nearly men.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1429535)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes it's funny that after Brazil a lot were saying "Kimi's not THAT good, JPM is the messiah!"
Old 10 Oct 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1429536)   #25
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
My problem with Ralf is that more often than not, he seems to hit another car or the scnerary. He's a German version of Taku. On the occasions when he actually finishes a reace, his speed is inconsistent and I think there are plenty of drivers out there who could do a better job given the opportunity.