Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 23 Feb 2001, 15:36 (Ref:66239)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I had to be at work and did not see it, and have not seen any plans to rebroadcast or show highlights. All I saw was a little story about some fans that drove 500 miles to attend and were told it was only for celebrities and other NASCAR people. They stood outside in the freezing cold and watched the celebrities go in and the helicopters fly over. One guy said very dispiritedly that he didn't expect the service to be in a rich peoples' church. Apparently nothing was done for the mere fans who came, not even a shelter out of the wind.

I don't think Dale would have liked that much.
Old 23 Feb 2001, 17:49 (Ref:66256)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Our local Sports Radio Talk Station has a banner that they have been taking all over town for fans to sign and express their grief and sympthies to the family. The banner will be presented to the family next week.
Old 24 Feb 2001, 02:51 (Ref:66382)   #3
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know they were broadcasting on the radio and tv, here in Atlanta, and asking for people not to go to the service, because it was a private service for friends, and family members, by invitation. The people that showed up anyway were warned ahead of time, that they wouldn't get in.
Old 24 Feb 2001, 11:01 (Ref:66428)   #4
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I did watch it. In defense of the Earnhardt family, the church only held 5000 or so people and they knew that it would not hold the thousands of fan who would show up, so that is why they decided to hold this televised service for the public. Despite this knowledge, the fans still headed to the church anyway, to the extent that someone on another bulletin board said that it felt and looked like a Sunday the day of the Charlotte race with all the bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 24 Feb 2001, 12:41 (Ref:66438)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not condemning the Earnhardt family in any way; their lives are hard enough just now, I am sure. But at Greg Moore's memorial service (also private) there were shelters and accommodations for the fans to get out of the wind and weather, and I just wondered whether Ol'Dale would have thought of this (I have the feeling he would have) because it was foreseeable that many people would want to be there even if they could not get in.
Old 3 Mar 2001, 20:01 (Ref:67879)   #6
dei3fan
Rookie

United States
Stockbridge Ga.
dei3fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Liz, I know you mean well but I'm curious.can you tell me a place where they could have held the service that would have been big enough to hold the multitude of people who would have wanted to be there? there aint no church or tent big enough. I taped the service while I was at work and it was enough.but the sunday nite service held in dales honor on the field where the kannapolis intimidators play was exceptional and large enough for all the hometown fans and family of dale who all spoke except for little E who was on his way to las vegas.It was televised as well and I taped that too. you cant possibly equate the number of greg moore fans with the millions of dale earnhardt fans. by the way who is greg moore?
Old 5 Mar 2001, 23:39 (Ref:68672)   #7
Lee
Racer

dei3fan,

Hows it going tonight? In answer to your question, Greg Moore was a driver that raced in the series that neither you or I have any intrest in, or use for, cart, thats probally why you never heard of him. He was killed in one of their races two years ago.

Last edited by Lee; 5 Mar 2001 at 23:52.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 14:33 (Ref:68871)   #8
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
dei3fan, Greg Moore was a standout in the CART series. He was the youngest driver to ever win a race in CART and was destined to become a champion in the series. He was going to race for Roger Penske's revamped CART team in 2000 and there is little doubt that he would have become a CART champion. Unfortunately, he was tragically killed in the 1999 season ending race at California. His crash was one of the most brutal open wheel crashes I have ever seen on live TV.

Greg also raced in the IROC series in 1999 but didn't fare very well. However, he had enjoyed his Daytona IROC experience to the extent that he openly admitted that he would entertain NASCAR ride offers that year since his contract was up at season's end with Forsythe.
Old 7 Mar 2001, 02:57 (Ref:69068)   #9
dei3fan
Rookie

United States
Stockbridge Ga.
dei3fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks Joefan and lee now I know where I'd heard the name, It was from the IROC race and I figured he was an open wheeler. I'm sorry about his untimely racing death and I'm sure he had many fans in that series but still nothing to compare to the outpouring over Dales death. I don't blame either family for wanting a private funeral but with Dale there simply was no way to accomodate as many as would want to come.there were many local memorials and several on tv so I think everyone had their chance. I went to the one at atlanta motor speedway and It really helped to be there with all the others who missed dale as much as I will.
Hi back to ya lee, will you be at the race this weekend?
Old 7 Mar 2001, 04:15 (Ref:69075)   #10
Lee
Racer

Yes, I'll be at both the Busch and Winston Cup races this weekend. I will be working with Team Marines on Saturday. It is for a recruiting effort. My unit is bringing a vehicle or two to the track, and will be set up with the Team Marines showcar. We'll be in uniform and will be demonstrating the equipment to prospective recruits. We will be watching the race from the pits. If you happen to see a Marine Master Sergeant that stands about 6'4" and looks to weight about 220 lbs, dressed in a camoflague uniform, that will most likely be me. We might get to ride around the track in the pre-race show. Are you going to be there? If so, where will you be sitting? Hope to see you there this weekend.