Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1351589)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The British Grand Prix - post race discussion (merged)

Not all out action, but still an engaging and interesting race.

Well done to JPM, good drive too from Alonso - who surely must win the title now - and a sensational race from Raikkonen again.

Oh what a pity to see Ferrari's continued lack of pace
Old 10 Jul 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1351590)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
British GP Post race

*Yawn* is it over yet?

Blimey what was there to smile about? JPM driving a marvellously controlled race unchallenged by anything or anyone. Fernando driving equally well but unable to stay with the Macaroon.

Button? I hope its the car and not what it appeared to be, complete lack of interest.

Did anybody else notice Flav press that "engine stop" button as Fisi completed his second pit stop?

Kimi once again provided a small consolation for what must be the most tedious British GP for some years.

Consolation prizes to DC and JV (good pass on DC at Abbey).

Congrats JPM you deserved this one.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1351592)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
See my post race thread before a mod merges it.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1351748)   #4
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair gp, JPM, Alonso, Kimi all well deserved positions. Fisico unlucky once again. It's becoming extremely annoying, how everything goes wrong only with his Renault.

Two terrible things about the gp. First that idiot who kept showing completely uninteresting DC feedback when everything was happening in the front. Second, the stupid qualifying system has destroyed the race of Raikkonen (as it had destroyed the race for MS last weekend), as Trulli can just put a very little fuel and keep everyone behind him costing them more than 1 second per lap!! It's a terrible idea. They must take it back to the good old system.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1351751)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mine was first

I notice you've called it the worst British GP for years or something.

But last year you said "the British GP failed to provide some entertainment."

Maybe the track layout needs to be altered?

But in F1 terms, I thought today's race was still interesting, while not being all-out action from start to finish.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1351753)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a real interesting race. Just a lack of action, in my opinion.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1351762)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Mine was first

I notice you've called it the worst British GP for years or something.

But last year you said "the British GP failed to provide some entertainment."
Hmm,

Do you keep a file of all my posts?

Actually last year wasn't very interesting but this year was worse.

No we don't need to change the track, we just need to get used to tedium. Its happenned with many areas of entertainment.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1351769)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Having seen the predictions comp results I don't know why I'm surprised by the quality of this race.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1351773)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A decent,acceptable race...nothing spectacular ofcourse that is comparing it to 2005 standards which have been very high...

FIA need to look at the aero regs seriously.... how Raikkonnen was unable to get past Schumacher and Trulli in a much superior car is beyond me....

Good drives by JPM and Alonso but Kimi seemed different class today...
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1351779)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
A decent,acceptable race...nothing spectacular ofcourse that is comparing it to 2005 standards which have been very high...

FIA need to look at the aero regs seriously.... .

They are doing!

But people on here keep saying that it "wouldn't be F1 anymore!"
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1351780)   #11
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, that's what I wanted to say. The FIA really needs to make some serious changes! One of the best drivers, with the absolutely best car could not get past people who were delaying him more than 1sec/lap! Of course MS couldn't get past Alonso in Imola, too. And Raikkonen would not have easily passed Button, had he not pitted. It's next to impossible to pass someone.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1351782)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The teams have generally got on top of the one tyre issue so any chance of some late drama like in the earliar GP's is minimal....
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1351785)   #13
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They are doing!

But people on here keep saying that it "wouldn't be F1 anymore!"
The FIA is not doing the right thing. Limiting the downforce is not the only way to make overtaking easier.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:27 (Ref:1351789)   #14
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still too much overtaking done in the pits.

Time to stop the refuelling, make em start with 150L of regular unleaded from the local petrol station and let them change tyres again.

Not quite edge of the seat stuff, but more interesting that the old Mike and Rubens show from last year.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1351793)   #15
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly disappointing race today on many levels, with Fisi's seemingly unflappable ability to have something go wrong for him being the real downer for me. Not really a classic - Errr, at least the weather was nice
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1351797)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Boring race, much worse than last years.

Good result for Montoya but virtually zero "action".
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1351798)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Boring race, much worse than last years.

Go and have a search and look at what people were saying after last years!

Today was better than that!
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1351802)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2003's race had more action than 2002, 2004 and 2005 put together. The aerodynamics ruined the race - I suspect they've clawed back what they lost from the new regs, and they've done so in a way which is even less condusive to overtaking. Maybe Michael was making hsi car very wide, perhaps aided by trulli, but it was still strange to see Kimi stuck for so long. he missed his chance by not beign close to the Ferrari and it's tradiotnally-slow-to-warm-up-tyres at the end of the pace car lap.

Well done to JPm though - that was a long time coming.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:46 (Ref:1351809)   #19
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were you all watching the same race?! I enjoyed it a lot, I thought there was plenty of action to be getting on with, it was very tense waiting to see if Fisichella would make it up to Alonso, how well would Raikkonen be able to make up his deficit...Montoya battling with Alonso...

Depends what you call action, doesn't it. By no means boring, though.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1351812)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

I'm inclined to agree Logrence - there was enough tension in the race without there being lots of overtaking.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1351813)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was plenty of tension, but it didn't really amount to anything. There were only 2 moments where leading cars were side-by-side after the start, and one of those was academic. The aero issues deprived us of more action, and at Silverstone of all places.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 15:15 (Ref:1351826)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Go and have a search and look at what people were saying after last years!

Today was better than that!
Yeah, I was at the 2004 British GP, and it was boring.

But this race promised so much, and delivered so little, I think thats why people are feeling let down.

I think I saw 1 overtaking move.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1351831)   #23
infoxicated
Rookie

Scotland
UK
infoxicated has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F1 has existed on "tension" for the best part of a decade now. When there's zero overtaking on track beyond the first lap, at a track with a good few overtaking places, it's gotta be pretty obvious that the aero regulations are a joke.

Same could be said about 2003 - when you need a head case in a kilt running down hangar straight to spice the race up, you have a sport that has truly forgotten what racing is all about. I watched the first five laps today, then did myself a favour and went out to sit in the sunshine, confident that I knew who had won it.

Bring on the manufacturer split, I say - Formula Yawn needs to be razed to the ground.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1351832)   #24
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I enjoyed the race. Great drives by Montoya Alonso Fisichella, and... Raikonnen - WOW. What a lap he put up in qualifying given his fuel load. Had he not been held up by Trulli/Schumacher, I have no doubt that he'd have won thos one hands down.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1351835)   #25
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you thought that was exciting, you should try visiting UK club racing!
glad i didnt go to the GP now, bit boring to be honest. and what happend with the one minute silence ? if you're going to call a minute silence at least announce when its over