Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:17 (Ref:845987)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just Had to Share this One....a Race Circuit

I PROMISE that I'm not going back on the "Airfields for racetracks" jag again....

But the place I proposed in the Dallas area, the former Dallas Naval Air Station, had a private airport venture there athat apparently closed late in 2003....

Now all we need is a wealthy Texan who is a gearhead to buy this thing for a song and put it to GOOD use...as a road course!!!

Gotta admit....it would make a great race venue for an ALMS with the right promotoer to run the show and to take the risks...
Attached Thumbnails
dallasnas3abovesm.jpg  

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:18 (Ref:845990)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My other version...

Admit it...this would be sweet...
Attached Thumbnails
dallassmallnas4tntrack.jpg  

Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:21 (Ref:845994)   #3
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to sure about that long bit running down towards the sea with a hairpin at the end! Could be hairy if you get brake faliure and there ain't enough protection to stop you from setting sale in the ocean!

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:25 (Ref:846002)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
It's a lake...but ALMS cars have flat bottoms...they'll just skip across it...

That runway is so long (about 11,000 ft.) that the seond one I posted wouldn't meet FIA regs without some chicanes to break it up a little...

But the first one would be a circuit fo a little under 3 miles long...there's a huge tarmac there for grandstands and virtually new hangars for the paddock area....

Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:25 (Ref:846003)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LMAO! I had the same thought Duffacus. Good concept Tim. Hurry up and win the lotto will ya!
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:28 (Ref:846007)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
that would have to be one HUGE jackpot to be able to afford the conversion of an airfield into a racetrack!!!!

The first one is my real preference....but the other one gave one big, long straightaway for some flat-out speed...had to post it...despite the "Hairpin" problem...

Old 22 Jan 2004, 00:50 (Ref:846240)   #7
Kid Prozac
Racer

Kid Prozac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
completely off topic, but the top track looks like a man dancing very badly! elder realtive at a wedding perhaps
Old 22 Jan 2004, 02:02 (Ref:846322)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well if i contribute 5 dollars?
wait why not every one contribute 5 dollars to me, and i'll start a 10 10ths team we'll go race a prototype, mike fuller will design and ....
Old 22 Jan 2004, 14:24 (Ref:846860)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
To Kid Prozac:

It kinda does, doesn't it???

I LMAO when I read that one....everybody can picture the geezer with one too many beers under his belt doing a jig on the dance floor with a bridesmaid at the reception...

I drew up a basic circuit that uses existing runways and taxiways....it's easier and cheaper to do the course that way...

BTW...these runways are deemed to be in excellent condition... the Navys' tenure ended there in the mid-1990s, but the Texas National Guard used it follwing the Navy's exodus...as wella s that private airport company and the Vanguard Corp. the once built fighter jets for the military....

Here is a clean aerial image of the Dallas NAS facility if you want to try your hand a your own version of a circuit....

In case this evolves into a "Track Fest" we may want to consider posting the versions in the "My-Tracks" thread in the Armchair Enthusiasts" forum....

But that is up to the moderators...

BTW: These are from a cool website on Abandoned and Little-Known airfields...I've posted the link before...it is pretty neat...
Attached Thumbnails
dallasnas smallaerial_02.jpg  

Old 22 Jan 2004, 15:03 (Ref:846897)   #10
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read that in America there are private airfield developments built specially for people with private planes. From pics I've seen houses with hangers attached are built alongside the taxiways. The idea being you land your plane and can be inside your front door in a couple of minutes.

Now - how about the same idea but set around a race track? Luxury houses set in landscaped surroundings, each with spaces for competition cars. You could keep your car in the hanger/garage and take it out for a spin whenever you fancied.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 15:41 (Ref:846943)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
It's a good idea....

I wonder that the liability costs would be...and I'd venture to guess that only Lloyds of London would be willing to consider underwriting the policy that would cover the developer...

But otherwise, I like ideas that are outside of the box....and I like the concept....

Old 22 Jan 2004, 19:54 (Ref:847348)   #12
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I take it you've seen the pics of Travolta's place with his Gulfstream and Boeing 707 parked at private jetways!!
Old 22 Jan 2004, 20:07 (Ref:847361)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prozac
completely off topic, but the top track looks like a man dancing very badly! elder realtive at a wedding perhaps
I think it looks more like a Victorinox Swiss army knive.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 20:49 (Ref:847398)   #14
Zandbak
Racer

Netherlands
Zandbak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnomex
Now - how about the same idea but set around a race track? Luxury houses set in landscaped surroundings, each with spaces for competition cars. You could keep your car in the hanger/garage and take it out for a spin whenever you fancied.
It already excists http://www.ascari.net/click on "experience" or "raceresort"

Last edited by Zandbak; 22 Jan 2004 at 20:50.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 21:03 (Ref:847412)   #15
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Ah yes the Ascari thing, wish I could go there

Does anyone know if any races will ever be staged there?

Old 22 Jan 2004, 21:10 (Ref:847423)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Duffacus
Ah yes the Ascari thing, wish I could go there

Does anyone know if any races will ever be staged there?
I think it's only for testing and private events.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 21:14 (Ref:847433)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
In the second version with teh long straight, the "dancing man" might be Balckbeard the Pirate with that peg leg...

Old 22 Jan 2004, 21:58 (Ref:847487)   #18
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
BTW: These are from a cool website on Abandoned and Little-Known airfields...I've posted the link before...it is pretty neat...
not really related but about 10 years ago i used to work for the national aerial photographs library in london. i remember coming across silverstone about a year after the end of WW2. parked side by side along the edges of each runway(like the typical sort of star of david design), and back to back up the middle of each one....hundreds upon hundreds of no-longer-required military vehicles. very strange to see.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:01 (Ref:847492)   #19
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Long shot but do you have a photo of this? I would be quite interested in seeing that if you did have.

Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:24 (Ref:847520)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No, no no, it's an archer
Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:28 (Ref:847526)   #21
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
in reply to duffacus...

sadly not. they weren't for the taking and i have now moved on. but i think they sell prints to the public for various reasons, usually boundary disputes! they moved from london to swindon just after i left...and i think now come under english heritage. as i remember if you give them your ordinance survey grid reference the computer throws up all the picture numbers going back from now to during the war that were taken of your area, at many different heights.

Last edited by kdr; 22 Jan 2004 at 22:29.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:29 (Ref:847527)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Hope he can hit a bullseye by bagging a wealthy Texas gearhead who will turn this into a road course...

Shame to waste that much asphalt, land, hangar space, and close accessibility (via freeways, the DFW Airport for out-of-town fans,) etc.) when a good road circuit in that area (that is not a roval) would be great....

Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:39 (Ref:847544)   #23
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you spend time in Texas Tim??? Just curious, but you must be that state's biggest road course advocate. I believe Texas's best shot is a roval given the money, feasibility, permits, etc.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 13:33 (Ref:848194)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
No time in Texas at all....

But I look at the demographics and the climate of one of the largest states in the USA, and I just can't help but to think that there is an audience there for road racing....

Besides, ALMS did run at Texas Motor Speedway on their roval for a couple of years, but from what I can gather, rovals are no longer in the ALMS business plans for future events....

BTW...I think their plan for the future is a good one...

But it is a market that the ALMS is currently not racing in...

If a promoter had a facility and a plan that fit into their future plans (ALMS), and could afford to take the risk, a race there could be a possibility....

Also, someone else has to believe that teh texas market and the Dallas metro area is viable as well, because there was a company named "Boundless" somthing-or-other that at one time had started a 3.7 mile road circuit comples in a town about 20-30 miles south of Dallas that apparenlty has bit off more than it could chew and cannot finish the project or ran out of money to do so....

Maybe buying the assets of that endeavor and finishing it might be an equally viable option...

Find info on the Boundless facility on e-tracks...an affiliated site to 10/10ths...

Old 23 Jan 2004, 20:43 (Ref:848677)   #25
RobweenerPI
Rookie

RobweenerPI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to Autox my Cavalier on it that's for sure.

My only beef with airport tracks is they are totally flat. I've always preferred natural terrain. Hence VIR is my favorite track. But with runways that long you surely could devise a layout to see speeds and conditions somewhat like lemans. There aren't a whole lot of tracks with big average speeds anymore. But with space like that it could be possible if you have enough run off room.