Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:01 (Ref:766891)   #1
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
marshalling

I am requesting information about it.

i have sent off for my form but what are the views off other marshalls. Is it a good day out? What sort of things do you have to do?etc

Cheers
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:10 (Ref:766907)   #2
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it this will be your first day.

Make sure you dress up warm, have waterproofs with you (you never know), have food and drink with you as well as you don't know when you will get a break.

On what you will have to do will depend on what circuit you are going to and what you would like to have a go at. If you want to do off circuit, you may be put in the assembly area - where you grid the cars up, Startline - where you make sure cars are on the correct position for the start of the race, Pits - where you keep an eye on what the teams are doing, making sure there are no under 16's and no-one smoking, or Paddock - where you wander around and give information to the teams, make sure they are parked in the correct areas, go to the assembly area on time, etc.

If you are looking at going on circuit, then you will be sent to a post around the circuit and during the day you will be shown how a post works. Ie what an Observer does, flag marshal, etc and if anything happens you will probably be involved in helping to clear the incident, ie helping a driver to get out of the car, clearing rubbish from the circuit, dressing oil, etc.

You should enjoy it, but be prepared for just standing there if you go on circuit as accidents do not always happen!!

What circuit's are you intending on going to?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:13 (Ref:766911)   #3
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
i have not sent of the form yet, I am only gathering information, but places such as Brands.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:14 (Ref:766912)   #4
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
I will probably be going to Brands again in November, the MSA Rallly Cross meeting. Shall I quiz the marshalls there?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:20 (Ref:766919)   #5
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure some will put a reply on here. But certainly talk to any of the marshals down there and they will give you all the info, ie where to sign on in the morning, etc.

I hope you enjoy your time when you do start marshalling.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:21 (Ref:766922)   #6
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
Marshalling

Is anyone marshallying the MSA Rally Cross meeting at Brands this November?

If so owuld it be possible to come and talk to you?

i wish to start marshallying myself but I wish to see them at work nad get a feel for it first.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:26 (Ref:766930)   #7
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:34 (Ref:766938)   #8
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
I will try to right that a bit better.

Is anyone attending the MSA Rally Cross meeting at Brands in November?

If so would it be possible to come and talk to you?

I wish to Marshall myself but I would like to see them at work and get a feel for it first.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:35 (Ref:766939)   #9
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Good to hear that someone else is wanting to start marshalling, hope you enjoy your first day!!! not going to the rally x, got to work. I mainly go to Brands but also go to Silverstone and good old Lydden. I would get my forms back to your club ASAP so you are able to plan for next year as the avalibilty forms should be out in the new year someetime

Two last things, enjoy yourself and stay safe!!
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:36 (Ref:766941)   #10
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
Thanks, i will send them of tomorow probably.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 14:12 (Ref:766984)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Scott there are indeed some people from here that will be at the RallyX at Brands - Queen and UpsideDownBug spring to mind (although UDB is an organiser type.... )

If you get into contact with Queen, she should be able to give you whatever info you need about this event.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 13:14 (Ref:768037)   #12
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Scott,

I am pleased that you want to be a marshal. However, one thing I would say to you is try everything before you decide what you want to do. My own theory of the best way of doing things is to start in the paddock, then assembly, pit lane, out on the bank, race phones. Once you've done each of these things at least once you'll have a much better idea of what will make you a happy marshal.

Have fun!
Old 30 Oct 2003, 13:39 (Ref:768061)   #13
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Scott,

Andrew Palmer and I both hope to be at Brands for Rallycross - we will be somewhere trackside, and should be easy to find - look for the cuddlies! We are more than happy to chat to you about what we do
Old 30 Oct 2003, 14:52 (Ref:768138)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And don't forget non-circuit disiplines. Hill Climbs and sprints will give you something to do more often and allow you to learn incident handling without worrying about traffic.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 20:37 (Ref:768451)   #15
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
Thank you all for your help.

I hope to see you in Novemeber.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 11:09 (Ref:769015)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Scott, if you need any details about how to get to Brands or where to sign on, drop me a PM.

Stephen.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 11:14 (Ref:769023)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Scott, I have partially answered this in another thread. I hope to be there myself, decorating permitting, and would be glad to answer as many questions as possible.

In reality, the best thing would be to do a day 'on the bank' marshalling to get a true picture of whether you are likely to enjoy it or not. I'm normally at Brands and would be happy for you to spend your first day with me if that helps?
Old 1 Nov 2003, 19:33 (Ref:770278)   #18
Queen
Veteran

England
North Lincolnshire
Queen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridQueen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
HI ScottDay and Stephen Green
Firstly Scott the only way to try marshalling is to do it. If you would like to come and play at one if not the best motorsport disciplines send me a email. Stephen I would like you to email me aswell.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 08:32 (Ref:771294)   #19
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just be careful spending your first day with Mr Green....
You never know what you might end up doing...........
He has been known to chase down members of the public and rugby tackle them when there are no mad priests around............lololol