Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Jan 2012, 04:15 (Ref:3013183)   #1476
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have raced at VIR in a 24hr race (1991 Miata) which used the full track at night and north course during the day (karts had south during day). The infield section (half of the North Course) which everyone is refering to is very technical and is basicily a single file section if in similar speed cars. The LMP1's can probley pull off the passes but everyone else can forget about it. I would expect lap times to be around a 2:30 on this configuration for the LMP1's. If anyone wants a preview of Grand Course in person before the ALMS race come up on August 11-12, 2012 as there will be a 24 hr race on Grand Course that weekend with close to if not over 100 cars.

Last edited by gsmith2424; 18 Jan 2012 at 04:20.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 06:43 (Ref:3013205)   #1477
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
SRSLY, who cares?
The ALMS should, they don't really need any competition in terms of viewership.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 09:14 (Ref:3013268)   #1478
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
The ALMS should, they don't really need any competition in terms of viewership.
There's hardly competition between ALMS and WEC now [that the Petit situation is kinda fixed], and very probably no entry clashes either. Also the ESPN2 highlights of Virginia air a day later, the viewer numbers for streaming aren't that high
Old 18 Jan 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3013278)   #1479
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Also the ESPN2 highlights of Virginia air a day later, the viewer numbers for streaming aren't that high
The 33 people who want to watch either online live can just get a multi-monitor setup if they wish! It'll be tough for Hindy, the other media, and whatever drivers who are scheduled to do both.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 12:25 (Ref:3013378)   #1480
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will there be full races on tv/online this year? I assume sebring, laguna seca and plm, but what other rounds?
Old 18 Jan 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3013380)   #1481
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
Will there be full races on tv/online this year? I assume sebring, laguna seca and plm, but what other rounds?
I think it will be just like last year with the exception that Long Beach, Mid-Ohio, Mosport, and Lime Rock will be shown live on ESPN2.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 15:52 (Ref:3013505)   #1482
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why don't ALMS fans just pony up and buy an xbox to watch the races on tv. They are so much better than speed has ever been and it would cost you like $200 which is what you spend on a race weekend.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3013579)   #1483
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Why don't ALMS fans just pony up and buy an xbox to watch the races on tv. They are so much better than speed has ever been and it would cost you like $200 which is what you spend on a race weekend.
Because people like to complain and make things as impossibly complicated as possible so they can complain some more.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:17 (Ref:3013584)   #1484
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If that is your expectation, it isn't a great way to grow the ALMS is it?
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:19 (Ref:3013585)   #1485
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's a great idea in theory. It just relies on an ideal set of circumstances:
- You subscribe to an ESPN-affiliate ISP.
- The ALMS retains its broadcasting deal with ESPN.
- The above aren't altered.

If (coincidentally) you're already in the above circumstances, no problemo.
If not, it's easily perceived as somewhat of an inconvenience.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3013591)   #1486
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There could be something positive about the Pug withdrawal. Now that Audi has already secured the WEC title for this year, I wonder if they'll do PLM - I mean why not? The weekend is free for them, it's a good market place and more importantly a very prestigious event, and they don't have to worry abut championships.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3013596)   #1487
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
There could be something positive about the Pug withdrawal. Now that Audi has already secured the WEC title for this year, I wonder if they'll do PLM - I mean why not? The weekend is free for them, it's a good market place and more importantly a very prestigious event, and they don't have to worry abut championships.
Logistically next to impossible. Testing for PLM starts while Japan is happening.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3013601)   #1488
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Logistically next to impossible. Testing for PLM starts while Japan is happening.
Who cares about testing?

Last year Aston Martin went from Silverstone to Laguna Seca in just one week.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:35 (Ref:3013603)   #1489
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Also, Peugeot dropping out doesn't change anything for Audi... they could have chosen to run PLM anyway. The question is though, would the addition of Audi alone make for a better event? IMO, it would make it worse.

Who cares about testing? hmmmm... I seem to recall Audi and Peugeot being there from something like Thursday or Friday the week before the race testing... it would seem as though they cared.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:37 (Ref:3013607)   #1490
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Also, Peugeot dropping out doesn't change anything for Audi... they could have chosen to run PLM anyway. The question is though, would the addition of Audi alone make for a better event? IMO, it would make it worse.
I'm not saying it would make it any better racing wise as it would kill any chance of the privateer petrols, but certainly it would create bigger attention.

Some of you are just so hard to please it's beyond ridiculous.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3013610)   #1491
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Who cares about testing? hmmmm... I seem to recall Audi and Peugeot being there from something like Thursday or Friday the week before the race testing... it would seem as though they cared.
Audi doesn't need to care about their pace because Peugeot won't be there. They could just show up before qualifying and still be on pole
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3013613)   #1492
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Also, Peugeot dropping out doesn't change anything for Audi... they could have chosen to run PLM anyway.
Yes but there was a slim chance that they could still be in hunt for the WEC champ (as there is still Zhuhai after Petit), but now that their main rival is axed they can do whatever they wish.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:42 (Ref:3013614)   #1493
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Yep, I think a lot of testing & development plans have changed at Audi this afternoon.... the pressure definitely is off, unlike Toytoa makes a debut with guns blazing... but that's unlikely.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 18:20 (Ref:3013647)   #1494
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I have felt for a long time that the HPD P1 could be a dark horse this year and may be more competitive than people think - Lets hope i am right.

Also I wouldn't under estimate Toyota I would not be surprised if the car is both competitive and reliable from the off. They appear to have learned their lessons of the past and are following a more sensible path - such as employing an established expert like Oreca to operate the cars at the race track.

It is a shame for Pug though because they built a fantastic car - one which Audi have struggled to match for pace since it first hit the racetracks. Lets hope there is a privateer programme about to be announced.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3013652)   #1495
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if the Peugeot news could convince Muscle Milk to throw in a last-minute Le Mans entry if they haven't done so already.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3013656)   #1496
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
doesn't Muscle Milk have an auto bid already?
Old 18 Jan 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3013659)   #1497
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
doesn't Muscle Milk have an auto bid already?
Yes they do, but they weren't determined as to whether they would take it up or not. I suspect with today's news they quickly reconsidered it and took it up... but we'll see in 2 weeks' time.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3013661)   #1498
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:

Some of you are just so hard to please it's beyond ridiculous.
If by that, you mean that I don't look at a turd, and find a way to mentally polish it and call it gold, thank you.

I'm sorry, I don't find the prospects that there is an infinitely small probability that Audi might choose to run PLM, and make it a demonstration parade all that exciting. I can admit, that having Audi there, might garner the race a few more mentions on page 17 of the sports section of a few newspapers.

Should Audi and Toyota come... great. Should all the petrol, non-Hybrid cars instead, great too... even without Audi and Toyota.

Toyota have managed to make a mockery of their last two big programs I've followed. F1 and the GT ONE both had gobs of money thrown at them with no success. I like Oreca, and respect the success they had with the Vipers. Having said that, they didn't do much with Chrysler LMP program, and only lucked into a win with Mazda. Otherwise, there isn't much distinguishable there. Hopefully it is different this time.

I don't see much hope for the HPD either. Petrol, non-hybrid, privateer run teams... It will take a miracle...
Old 18 Jan 2012, 23:53 (Ref:3013836)   #1499
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
That's a great idea in theory. It just relies on an ideal set of circumstances:
- You subscribe to an ESPN-affiliate ISP.
- The ALMS retains its broadcasting deal with ESPN.
- The above aren't altered.

If (coincidentally) you're already in the above circumstances, no problemo.
If not, it's easily perceived as somewhat of an inconvenience.
Well, that's the problem for me. My ISP does not subscribe to ESPN3 so watching the ALMS' stream is impossible without a proxy. Oh well. I rather enjoyed watching the highlights last year instead of the full races. Call me an amateur for saying that if you wish, but who wants to sit around watching 2 hours of safety car? That's not my idea of entertainment. At least ESPN3/ALMS archives their streams so I can go back and watch the full thing if I want to. I usually do go back and watch parts that the highlights miss (like the pace car breaking down at Mid-Ohio last year, what a hoot!).
Old 19 Jan 2012, 00:45 (Ref:3013859)   #1500
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Going back to Audi at PLM: I know that A.) they would have to skip a race in a championship they are a part of and that B.) they will likely be leading said championship. In theory, would Audi want the PLM crown back after 3 losses? Or would not having Peugeot there to compete against devalue PLM as a whole?

Grabbing at straws here, but not able to attend Sebring so I'm thinking outside the box here.