Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 7 Feb 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2123097)   #26
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe
Why do some people think there is a special technique for driving diesels. There isn't. You just work with a lower rev range, and change gear when you have more tractive effort in the next gear than the current gear, just like a petrol. They are more tolerant of lower revs than petrols because of the low rpm torque, but that's about it, and doesn't require a change of driving technique.
already there you've gone far beyond the vast majority's understanding of how to drive a car. a lot of people who call themselves competant rag diesels senseless petrol stylee when that's simply not the best way to drive them. it takes a slight understanding of how the engine and turbo function to get the best acceleration - for example i find that unlike petrol, it's best NOT to floor the accelerator in a diesel with a turbo.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2123203)   #27
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
How so
Because the main advantage of a diesel is the cruising fuel economy, which is because there is no pressure drop across a throttle in a diesel (no throttle), which means less work on the piston, which means improved efficiency. Not explained well, but that's the gist of it.

Quote:
already there you've gone far beyond the vast majority's understanding of how to drive a car. a lot of people who call themselves competant rag diesels senseless petrol stylee when that's simply not the best way to drive them. it takes a slight understanding of how the engine and turbo function to get the best acceleration - for example i find that unlike petrol, it's best NOT to floor the accelerator in a diesel with a turbo.
The thing is you can feel the change - you know instinctively when the car is running out of puff because the seat of your pants (and the rate of increase of the speedo/rev counter) tells you. Trying the next gear to see if it's any better is a good thing to do, and after, say, 3 minutes you'll have a pretty good understanding of when to change gear.

But maybe I feel that because I know to look for it??

As for not using full throttle in a turbodiesel, how would that help? Are we talking from an economy point of view or a 0-62 point of view? If you are going for speed or acceleration surely more fuel (and it'll be metered automatically so you can't just dump too much in) equals more power = more heat = more boost = more power etc? Lower throttle (which is a misnomer in a diesel, but the pedal is still called the same thing! ) would make you slower but perhaps save fuel - although it is generally better to accelerate as fast as possible to your cruising speed (like a boy racer) rather than take a year to reach it (like a granny) from an economy point of view, assuming you don't have to suddenly slow down again for a roundabout or traffic light...

So (and I don't have a VAST amount of diesel experience, even though I drive a couple fairly regularly) I would have said that more throttle = a good thing. And it masks the diesel clatter quite well too
Old 7 Feb 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2123220)   #28
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
on the throttle thing, i'm not familiar with all that technical stuff (excuse the blondeness ), i just know how the two diesels i drive work, but full throttle when the revs aren't quite high enough for the turbo to kick in has the same effect as say, half throttle. the result tends to be profanity, a gear change and the cloud of smoke though

i balance economy and outright speed though rather than just go for speed, which i think is the mindset of a lot of diesel drivers and a difference from most petrol drivers - if you want speed, surely you buy something manly like a v6 petrol something or other with a big growl... or a 330d. and if you're not bothered, you go for an unleaded because it sounds better, and the fuel is cheaper...

i guess when the car gets older it's easier to tell when the turbo kicks in and when to work with it. and it's really difficult to remember what you do as an instinctive reaction when you're driving!
Old 7 Feb 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2123224)   #29
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Because the main advantage of a diesel is the cruising fuel economy, which is because there is no pressure drop across a throttle in a diesel (no throttle), which means less work on the piston, which means improved efficiency. Not explained well, but that's the gist of it.

Speaking as a diesel mechanic of some 20+ years that still doesnt explain why the diesel loses its advantage as stated here

Quote:

And once petrol engines are de-throttled diesel will lose most of it's advantages in the steady cruise.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2123228)   #30
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it does. The advantage of diesel is the lack of throttle. When petrol becomes de-throttled (which is what a lot of research is going towards) then neither has an advantage in this regard. At which point the popularity of diesels in all but the commercial (requiring lots of torque) sector will drop a lot (and people will see how bad they are environmentally!)
Old 7 Feb 2008, 13:21 (Ref:2123260)   #31
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if the AUDI LM team are aware of this.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2123265)   #32
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
Probably. That's why they only entered a diesel when the equivalency rules made it stronger. With equal regulations I'm afraid that petrol remains quicker.

But the Audi thing is more about marketing and image anyway.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 13:38 (Ref:2123268)   #33
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it did the trick see-ing as other regular Entrants are going the diesel route.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 13:54 (Ref:2123275)   #34
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
But as the playing field isn't quite level with the different fuels, it's not fair to say that diesels are suddenly better. They aren't (though I don't doubt it didn't improve the technology a bit). A lot of it is political - some nonsense about diesels being better for that nonsense about global warming.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 14:38 (Ref:2123286)   #35
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I quite agree,the smut situation cannot be that good,thats why some parts of London are trying to limit Trucks.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 00:36 (Ref:2123725)   #36
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I quite agree,the smut situation cannot be that good,thats why some parts of London are trying to limit Trucks.

Thats all to do with swelling Kens coffers
Old 8 Feb 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2123831)   #37
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I was trying to be diplomatic
Old 8 Feb 2008, 08:49 (Ref:2123874)   #38
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I was trying to be diplomatic

I am being diplomatic
Old 9 Feb 2008, 05:18 (Ref:2124669)   #39
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think what Tristan is trying to say is the throttle butterfly provides drag/pressure drop in a petrol engine (except BMW Valvetronic presumably) and because a diesel does not have one it has an advantage. I knew a guy who had experienced this effect when he put a supercharger on his car. It was a 390hp V8 and the supercharger added probably another 100hp, but the surprising thing was that cruising fuel economy improved, which he put down to the intake air being pumped past the throttle body (v. low pressure at cruising only) rather than having to be sucked.