Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Apr 2024, 07:33 (Ref:4206726)   #26
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
That could be it;the main sponsor of the British challenge is Sir Jim Ratcliff,part owner of the Mercedes F1 team and some of the work has been done near Brackley.
Probably gong to have his hands full on his Man Utd vanity project, and the inevitable total failure of Brailsford.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 10:42 (Ref:4206766)   #27
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If Adrian Newey was involved in the America's Cup project,with the Mercedes associations,wouldn't it be a bit of a blocker to working with Aston Martin? In another context,If Brailsford fails to deliver might we suppose he will be told to get on his bike?
Old 28 Apr 2024, 20:07 (Ref:4206921)   #28
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he would either go to Ferrari or maybe we see him retiring. He's 65 and F1 takes a lot out of you.
Old 29 Apr 2024, 07:49 (Ref:4206949)   #29
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see him go to someone like Andretti or Audi, but I doubt either could afford him. I hope he does not go to Ferrari but I feel the lure is huge, even if Ferrari now is a shadow of the firm it was in the time of Enzo and the aftermath of his death.

He is fiercely competitive however and would love the challenge, and the only teams who can afford him and probably give him the freedom he desires without the pressure are Merc and Ferrari.

What is interesting is the issues at Red Bull that made him jump, it is clearly far more ingrained in the team than they are letting on. And I also feel this is not just because of Horners issues, it is far deeper than that,.

It is the only interesting thing about f1 right now tbh!!
Old 29 Apr 2024, 08:21 (Ref:4206951)   #30
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
What is interesting is the issues at Red Bull that made him jump, it is clearly far more ingrained in the team than they are letting on. And I also feel this is not just because of Horners issues, it is far deeper than that,.
You're making the very big assumption that he actually does want to leave.
Old 29 Apr 2024, 08:43 (Ref:4206954)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
I would love to see him go to someone like Andretti or Audi, but I doubt either could afford him. I hope he does not go to Ferrari but I feel the lure is huge, even if Ferrari now is a shadow of the firm it was in the time of Enzo and the aftermath of his death.

He is fiercely competitive however and would love the challenge, and the only teams who can afford him and probably give him the freedom he desires without the pressure are Merc and Ferrari.

It is the only interesting thing about f1 right now tbh!!
10m in euros or pounds or US dollars is a cheap price to pay for waft will be a more competitive car than otherwise… plus the halo effect of having a 6423 time F1 driver and constructors champion designer across McLaren, Williams and Red Bull..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 29 Apr 2024, 12:33 (Ref:4206970)   #32
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt any team would want someone who can basically build you a winning car to leave without some serious negotiation. If they are wanting him out, that would suggest the inner power struggle there is clearly one that is going to have a detrimental effect.

He is basically a man who can deliver titles and the hidden advantage. That is worth a serious amount to Red Bull or anyone else so he could probably ask what he wanted form a Merc or Ferrari, it is if he wants the hassle. I really like the idea of him going to somewhere smaller like Haas, Andretti or the early Audi and building them pace into whatever car they have, as a sort of arrogant "see it is all me"

But men like this are competitive and want to win, plus he will know his worth, he was allowed to get away with far more at RB than he would have under Dennis at MvLaren, and a new contract owuld probbaly have to be similar.
Old 29 Apr 2024, 14:27 (Ref:4206981)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
obviously a lot of speculation going around but kind of to your question...was Newey required to serve out a gardening leave between his stints at Mclaren and RB?
Old 29 Apr 2024, 14:44 (Ref:4206985)   #34
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
obviously a lot of speculation going around but kind of to your question...was Newey required to serve out a gardening leave between his stints at Mclaren and RB?

chilli, mention has been made of gardening leave and other things, and they may have applied back then. However, he is not employed by Red Bull; he provides his services to them via his service company, so therefore gardening leave, in theory, would not apply.

But more to the point, this has subject has be thrashed around for over a week now, and yet neither Newey or Red Bull have mentioned anything. For all we know, Newey may have made a disparaging remark about something he ate in the works canteen or maybe someone failed to sharpen his pencils in the drawing office and he was a bit narked. And the story has gone from one employee to another in whispered tones, and it now become a "fact" that he is leaving because the custard was lumpy when poured on to his stick toffee pudding.
Old 29 Apr 2024, 17:00 (Ref:4206996)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
....and it now become a "fact" that he is leaving because the custard was lumpy when poured on to his stick toffee pudding.
Well, if that's not going to make you leave, I don't know what what would!
Old 29 Apr 2024, 17:04 (Ref:4206998)   #36
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
For all we know, Newey may have made a disparaging remark about something he ate in the works canteen [...] he is leaving because the custard was lumpy when poured on to his stick toffee pudding.
With the amount Red Bull spend on catering, it would be grounds to leave immediately!
Old 29 Apr 2024, 18:46 (Ref:4207008)   #37
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
...However, he is not employed by Red Bull; he provides his services to them via his service company, so therefore gardening leave, in theory, would not apply...
just because he provides his services through a service company it does not follow, imo, that he and his service company have been retained without any limits or provisions being placed on their current or future services.

rather, if there are indeed no limits (as you seem to be inferring from Newey's unique situation) then why hasent he also been working with the other RB team all this time? heck, what would stop him from working with all the teams simultaneously?

surely there must be safeguards in place preventing this?

Quote:
But more to the point, this has subject has be thrashed around for over a week now, and yet neither Newey or Red Bull have mentioned anything.
agreed there...its all just speculation.
Old 29 Apr 2024, 20:02 (Ref:4207017)   #38
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
chilli, we in the UK have a tax regime that from memory is called an IR 35 for those that provide their labours via limited service companies. It is basically supposed to stop self-employed workers from just providing services of one kind or another to just one company, and then paying themselves very little salary and/or just dividends which means that they escape having to pay National Insurance, and potentially a lower rate of Income Tax.

The theory is that only a maximum of 75% of the company's income can be generated from one source. And I would guess that someone with the high profile of a chap like Newey would be in the sights of HMRC to check that he is compliant. Now we also know that apart from designing Red Bull's F1 cars, he is also heavily involved in the Red Bull supercar project, and I believe that that is set up as a separate entity, therefore satisfying the 75% rule, or it is certainly possible that that could work on paper. Plus he does do some other smaller stuff besides Red Bull.

Newey would need certain safeguards or clause within any contract with Red Bull that doesn't tie him to only providing his labours to them, because the Revenue would be entitled to view that or those contracts, and they would come down heavily on him if he was purely tied to Red Bull. There may well be a clause that stops him from working with other teams whilst he is providing his services to RBR, but I would like to believe that that would cease the moment his contract ends with RBR.
Old 30 Apr 2024, 09:07 (Ref:4207066)   #39
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
chilli, we in the UK have a tax regime that from memory is called an IR 35 for those that provide their labours via limited service companies. It is basically supposed to stop self-employed workers from just providing services of one kind or another to just one company, and then paying themselves very little salary and/or just dividends which means that they escape having to pay National Insurance, and potentially a lower rate of Income Tax.

The theory is that only a maximum of 75% of the company's income can be generated from one source. And I would guess that someone with the high profile of a chap like Newey would be in the sights of HMRC to check that he is compliant. Now we also know that apart from designing Red Bull's F1 cars, he is also heavily involved in the Red Bull supercar project, and I believe that that is set up as a separate entity, therefore satisfying the 75% rule, or it is certainly possible that that could work on paper. Plus he does do some other smaller stuff besides Red Bull.

Newey would need certain safeguards or clause within any contract with Red Bull that doesn't tie him to only providing his labours to them, because the Revenue would be entitled to view that or those contracts, and they would come down heavily on him if he was purely tied to Red Bull. There may well be a clause that stops him from working with other teams whilst he is providing his services to RBR, but I would like to believe that that would cease the moment his contract ends with RBR.
This all seems a bit intrusive. What possible business is any of this on a Forum site?
Old 30 Apr 2024, 10:33 (Ref:4207075)   #40
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
This all seems a bit intrusive. What possible business is any of this on a Forum site?
It seems to me like someone explaining a possible UK contract/tax situation to an american relating to someone else currently the subject of intense speculation. If you are suggesting that the intense speculation has no business on this forum then I agree and I think that is Mike's position also.
Old 30 Apr 2024, 11:51 (Ref:4207081)   #41
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The media noise about this story is going up another gear. Some even predicting an announcement before this weekends GP. Many media outlets reporting it as if it a done thing.

Still I am looking for an actual quote from the man himself or someone close to him....
Old 30 Apr 2024, 12:00 (Ref:4207082)   #42
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In some Italian media - Amanda Smerczak is reported as having been searching for property in Emilia-Romagna.
Old 30 Apr 2024, 13:34 (Ref:4207093)   #43
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Current media reports are treating it as a fait accompli. I guess we just need to wait for conformation. This article has pros/cons of each potential team which I find interesting. Of course it seems to be a bit of reading some tea leaves.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...nent/10605070/

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In some Italian media - Amanda Smerczak is reported as having been searching for property in Emilia-Romagna.
I have previously speculated that he would go to AM. But I am more convinced that he may be wanting to scratch that apparently long standing Ferrari itch.

Richard
Old 30 Apr 2024, 14:38 (Ref:4207101)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not quite Mike. You can set up a company and then, rather than pay yourself a wage, you can issue dividends. Currently it makes little difference with the tax levels in the UK but normally you'd expect corporation tax to be less than income tax.
Old 30 Apr 2024, 15:38 (Ref:4207110)   #45
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
I was trying to keep it simple, Peter, not necessarily accurate.

And to the other Peter (Morninggents), thank you; I didn't feel that it merited a response, and we are thinking alike.
Old 30 Apr 2024, 16:21 (Ref:4207117)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thirty years today since Imola, probably the worst day in his whole illustrious working life.

Hope Mr Newey continues on, if that is even an option.

You might think the best place could be for him to land is Williams.. I’m sure it’s systems are so modern that a manual drawing board with t-squares and pencils everywhere would be looked upon as new age gee whiz technology.. the work of the interloping heretics
Old 30 Apr 2024, 16:38 (Ref:4207119)   #47
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Perhaps there should be observers keeping an eye on office equipment businesses to see which handles a five and a half metre long drawing board.Then we can deduce which team is based nearest and draw(!) our own conclusions.
Old 1 May 2024, 00:01 (Ref:4207148)   #48
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
He should go to Andretti for the bantz
Old 1 May 2024, 05:42 (Ref:4207158)   #49
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The BBC are reporting it as "negotiating his exit" so he can continue to work next year.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 1 May 2024, 06:42 (Ref:4207163)   #50
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
The BBC are reporting it as "negotiating his exit" so he can continue to work next year.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Did Mr Newey already design the ‘25 and ‘26 cars, plus all the upgrades needed for this year and beyond before he left the building?