Racer

United Kingdom
Silverstone
RSportRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Financing A1GP

ok so the package is promoted via Mactooms business
u have 25 cars/franchises bought by each country
these cars are then bought by individuals, rich businessmen etc
they contract out a team etc to run the cars.

It is then a surprise to see $xxx being handed out in prize money. Prize money in national racing, there is none.
Now im assuming the drivers dont have to pay for the drive. The teams would be run and payed im assuming from the franchise holder.

Is it going to be case now that we get in most other series that the richest survive and the poor guys trundle away at the back

What is too stop say Brazil buying a new engine for each race and bolting on new brakes, shocks or anything that may wear and cause a drop off in performance.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1415999)   #2
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The teams don't keep the cars, A1 are responsible for maintaining and shipping them to each race. So while the teams with rich backers may be able to afford better mechanics (Arden, Carlin, etc) and so on, there's still a large chance a 'lower' team can storm through and win a race if they can find a decent pilot.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure if I'm right about the teams keeping the cars. I'm sure someone will correct me though.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1416011)   #3
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed China had a Beer sponsor on the back of their rear wing.

But with money only going to 40% of the teams by the end of the season we might see an even more severly spread competition as developments within teams/drivers are made.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1416016)   #4
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
The teams don't keep the cars, A1 are responsible for maintaining and shipping them to each race. So while the teams with rich backers may be able to afford better mechanics (Arden, Carlin, etc) and so on, there's still a large chance a 'lower' team can storm through and win a race if they can find a decent pilot.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure if I'm right about the teams keeping the cars. I'm sure someone will correct me though.
The cars are all based at A1GP's premises in Silverstone and the teams have to go there to prepare them under supervision. They were allowed to take the necessary bits away to be painted, but that's it.

Mexico and Salvador Duran did a pretty darn good job today for a 'lower' team.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1416169)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy mole
The cars are all based at A1GP's premises in Silverstone and the teams have to go there to prepare them under supervision. They were allowed to take the necessary bits away to be painted, but that's it.

Mexico and Salvador Duran did a pretty darn good job today for a 'lower' team.
Thanks for clearing up the part on car maintenance.

Agreed about Mexico, and proves A1's point that you don't have to arrive at the race as a favourite to do remarkably well for yourself.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 07:15 (Ref:1416549)   #6
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars are all owned by the A1GP organisation.