Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 23 Sep 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1105072)   #1
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
What caused this ?

what went first . . . . . .

I think you'll agree its a bit of a mess, let go on the last lap of the hour race at Spa last weekend . . . .was it the valve, the piston or maybe the block, water, and the hydraulic effect, either way I HAVE A TRIP TO THE SCRAP YARD ! the headgasket looks to bo in order, as doeas the block/head face
Old 23 Sep 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1105076)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ahh nuts, I cant get a picture up
Old 23 Sep 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1105087)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
post a link.
I see your website has come on a long way

Last edited by Tim Falce; 23 Sep 2004 at 15:53.
Old 25 Sep 2004, 07:24 (Ref:1106429)   #4
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd be interested in seeing a pic

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 27 Sep 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1108247)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
post a link.
I see your website has come on a long way
I know I dont do nerdy stuff, I just cant bring myself to do it, although i cant afford to do much to the car at the moment and it'd be free to do

pm me an email address and ill send you a pic if you really want to see a pile of swarf and scrap !
Old 27 Sep 2004, 13:44 (Ref:1108320)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
zef, you have a PM
Old 7 Oct 2004, 11:41 (Ref:1117911)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
right . . .detatched inlet valve head, no piston left, bent rod and holed block (big hole) all looks like the valve broke . . . .BUT . .having stripped the rest the camshaft came out in three pieces . . . .I now think the camshaft snapped, left the valve open and caused the rest . . . . .is this likely or even possible ? the push rods al seem fine, so do 6 of the 8 followers !

I have a lot of scrap now
Old 7 Oct 2004, 14:42 (Ref:1118072)   #8
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I has something similar happen but that was caused by the cambelt tensioner mounting breaking up. I take it you check the cambelt tensioner etc.

That's when having 16 valves, buckets etc and TWO camshafts really isn't an advantage.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 16:04 (Ref:1118159)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Denis Bassom
I has something similar happen but that was caused by the cambelt tensioner mounting breaking up. I take it you check the cambelt tensioner etc.

That's when having 16 valves, buckets etc and TWO camshafts really isn't an advantage.
Don't think zefarely's engine has a cambelt or tensioners, just a big old chain.
BTW Zef, I have a Autopress workshop manual for your car, any good to you?
Old 8 Oct 2004, 08:15 (Ref:1118803)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the timing chain and tensioner are all as they where when assembled, new.

I've never heard of ot before, but could the camshaft just have been out of balance ?I had just changed up from 3rd to 4th so was doing about 5000 RPM at the time

Falcemob, it may be, they vary wildly, especially with fingerprints covering up the important bits !
Old 8 Oct 2004, 19:34 (Ref:1119189)   #11
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think the problem would of been an out of balence cam, generally x/pre /x flow cams dont give any trouble at all, even when using 8,000 plus rpm, its possable you had one with a casting flaw though, we once had a pinto cam that in two snapped clean through the middle of a lobe! just a bad casting, actually, i've just remembered we once had a BDA snap the jockey shaft which like the twin cam is basically just a camshaft in the block but without the lobes doing anything as it only drives the distributor and oil pump.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 9 Oct 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1119618)   #12
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pre crossflow block has smaller diameter followers than the crossflow. Perhaps one broke up?
Old 9 Oct 2004, 21:10 (Ref:1119926)   #13
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Have seen two Ford cams end up in three pieces - both from reving hard with no load on. One case was a 1300 Xflow after car jumped out of gear on stage of Scottish Rally. Mention it because a pre-X flow cam from the scrap bin of the Ford dealer in Elgin out of a 1340 Classic (and a few new valves) was fitted as a temporary replacement to drive it 600 miles home on three cylinders. So cam is same basic type. That may suggest there is an inherent balance or flexing issue - but not at 5Krpm?
Old 10 Oct 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1120421)   #14
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the cam snapped. Most likely the piston failed. I had one go at 9000 rpm - the rod ended up in about six pieces, the cam in ten and the piston was obliterated. The rod flailing around did all the cam damage.

If the valve failed it could cause a similar end result.

If the valve was open due to a timing fault it (they) more than likely would be slammed shut by the piston which would break the rocker/bend the pushrods. Are any broken/bent?
Old 12 Oct 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1122268)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the rocker gear seems fine, as do the pushrods, as far as the cam shaft goes it looks like a very clean break and unforced by anything else, so as has been suggested possibly just a casting flaw, I'D JUST CHANGED UP FROM 3RD SO HAD HIT A GOOD 7500 a tad before the noise (possibly when the breakage occured ?