Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25 Oct 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1443161)   #1
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UK Historic Saloons

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a while. Sorry if this turns out to be a lengthy post.

I am looking into joining one of the UK Historic Saloon Series' next year, either the HSCC or the CSCC. I am currently Sprinting & Hillclimbing a 1965 Mustang Coupe which is the car I want to race (I can hear the groans - but honest I am on a tight budget).

I have read the Regs for the various series but am wondering just how specific things have to be. My main concern is my engine, it is a Ford crate engine with alloy heads - I accept they have to go, no problem there. Trouble is my block, its a 1995 standard production 5litre block which is basically the same as a 302 block which is basically the same as a 289 as was originally fitted in '65, would I be allowed to use this? If not then it looks like my racing aspirations will have to be put on hold. I really can't see that it would make any difference at all especially performance wise as the block, crank, rods & pistons are all standard production items not specific race parts.

What I am trying to avoid is turning up with the car then being told I can't use it because of the block or spending loads of money on finding a 289 short engine only to find out that my original block would have been fine.

I daresay some will say that if I can't afford to buy a new engine then I shouldn't be considering racing, especially something as big as a Mustang. But I just want to join in, I'm a clubbie wanting to compete in club racing.

I know I coulda posted this in the Tech forum but I know a lot of current racers read this forum and (hope) I'll get a better reply. :-)

Cheers