Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 May 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1619554)   #1
Chartman
Rookie

England
Hope Valley, England.
Chartman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is a FIA Homologated MGB?

Sorry for my ignorance but we are in the process of race preparing a 1980 MG BGT.

We are probably going to race it in the 'Swinging Sixties' organised by the Classic Sports Car Club; however, to keep our options open, we want to build it to comply with as many race regs as possible - eg 'Cockshoot Cup' and 'BCV8' both run by the MG Car Club.

My question is - what is a FIA Homologated MGB?

Both the 'Cockshoot Cup' and 'BCV8' say that FIA Homologated MGBs may enter - supported with the relevant paperwork. Does that mean we can build a car to comply with these papers?

Thanks for any help.
Old 27 May 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1620011)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
If you can spare £30, call the MSA and ask them for the Homologation papers, I think your cars too new for the older Papers, but that doesn't stop you from preparing it in that way and getting an HTP which would probably give you the widest option of entries, although DOn't get too sucked in by it all, theres plenty of playgrounds out there.

Its worth going FiA spec on safety kit though, you can race anywhere then
Old 29 May 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1621995)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Couple of points.

If it's a GT it won't qualify for FIA Historic events. The first GT was sold in 1967.

If it's a 1980 (year not engine size) it's too young for FIA Historics and won't even meet the HTP requirements due the the chassis changes made after 1974. If the above then I'd rethink. You could build it to MGBCV8 Class B Roadgoing modified regs, which are effectively the equivalent of the Touring Car Group 1 regs.

The Historic class for MGB's is Pre 1966, three Bearing engine (1860cc) with single Weber carb, you can run overdrive but you have to keep standard brakes, suspension etc.

Come along to the MGCC International Festival 23 to 25 June. I'm entered in the two endurance races (but not in an MG!). By all means come and say hello and if I can introduce you to any experts I will.

However as Zef says, if you want to carry on down this route get the Homologation papers first.

Good luck.
Old 29 May 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1622014)   #4
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is there a homologation form for the GT anyway. Did BMC FIA homologate for Sebring? I don't know . I know there are homolgationforms for the tourer if I am not wrong last updated in 1965.
Old 3 Jun 2006, 04:21 (Ref:1625893)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The GT's as raced at Sebring were prototypes I believe.
Old 3 Jun 2006, 12:18 (Ref:1626043)   #6
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The MGB GT is homologated under number 560. However, in the FIA list it is shown as "FM" - Form Missing,with no homologation date, so quite where that puts someone wanting to get an HTP, I'm not sure.
Old 3 Jun 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1626260)   #7
Chartman
Rookie

England
Hope Valley, England.
Chartman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks everyone for their advice and explanation. I've also had feedback from the Cockshoot Cup people as well.
From what I now understand we will be preparing the MG BGT along the BCV8/Cockshoot Cup regs.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 06:31 (Ref:1626560)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good luck with it. tha MGCC are a gocd bunch.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 4 Jun 2006 at 06:34.